!!ATTENTION!! - Please Secure Your Passwords!

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
enderkevin13

Re: !!ATTENTION!! - Please Secure Your Passwords!

Post by enderkevin13 »

Havoc wrote:Just changed my password. I even had to use the "I forgot my password" option, as I couldn't remember what password I used for this account :mrgreen:
I've got my eye on you. My one and only abbadon eye...
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

enderkevin13 wrote:
Havoc wrote:Just changed my password. I even had to use the "I forgot my password" option, as I couldn't remember what password I used for this account :mrgreen:
He's legit, dude. I'd really appreciate if you'd stop making posts like this.
enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

wildweasel wrote:
enderkevin13 wrote:
He's legit, dude. I'd really appreciate if you'd stop making posts like this.
Okay, just making sure. Can't be too sure at this point.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

It's still not your business. And in doubt, check the person's posting history.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

randi wrote:
Zhs2 wrote: convincing randi we need a better plugin, better blacklists, etc.
There's a difference between blocking random spammers and blocking somebody specifically targetting your board "for fun".
This is a fair difference, sure, and it's good to assume the worst in both cases when it comes to security. In that regard, although the damage has already been done and the best that can be done now is damage control, perhaps what the board needs is a slightly less or maybe even completely unautomatable captcha for the next time anyone begins to think the same way this guy does.
Hellsmith1

Post by Hellsmith1 »

I thank the best way to do is to stay offline for awhile if this guy is trying his best to guess our passwords then it's best to stay away from here a day or two so we can
let the professional here to do there jobs.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Hellsmith1 wrote:It's not just your password that there trying to hack and I am not going to say anymore but be careful about what you post because once this hijacker or hacker sees what you post here it could be over with in a heart beat.
If there's one thing this situation was sorely lacking, it was vague melodrama.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Yeah, seriously. Hellsmith1, cut that out. It's not helping this thread any and it's just you trying to add to your post count.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Zhs2 wrote:This is a fair difference, sure, and it's good to assume the worst in both cases when it comes to security. In that regard, although the damage has already been done and the best that can be done now is damage control, perhaps what the board needs is a slightly less or maybe even completely unautomatable captcha for the next time anyone begins to think the same way this guy does.
Have any good ones?

Most are easily beaten these days. Anything that phpBB implements are extremely popular targets for CAPTCHA robot programmers, and the most popular plugins become high value targets as well.
Zhs2
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

I admit to not, and sarcastically exaggerating/not spending effort on research. I suppose though that, even for as simple as the current captcha is, it does the job it was set in place for. :shrug:

Edit: Well, someone did mention this. But still.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

For password tips, how about long, descriptive sentences with cliché phrases that are slightly mangled as to be cringeworthily stupid (and thus memorable) and mixed metaphors so awkwardly placed they make your skin crawl when you type them?
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Vaecrius wrote:For password tips, how about long, descriptive sentences with cliché phrases that are slightly mangled as to be cringeworthily stupid (and thus memorable) and mixed metaphors so awkwardly placed they make your skin crawl when you type them?
Just use KeePass to create a password-protected database for all your logins (you ARE using different passwords on different sites, right). That way, if you need to change a password for some reason, it's just one click to generate 32+ characters of un-bruteforcable gibberish which you can cheerfully copy to the clipboard with a double-click.

If you store your database in a (unshared, non-public!) Dropbox folder, you can also use it on various smartphone things through a number of apps. Very simple, very easy to get started, and Just Plain Good Practice.

There are other password database things and services out there, but Keepass is free and open-source, so it works for me.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux

Post by Marrub »

Kinsie wrote:words
I think KeepAss is a better capitalization, it helps you Keep your Ass [safe].
GFD
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by GFD »

KeePass actually might not be the best option? I personally recommend KeePassX.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I tried KeePassX but in my opinion that's nearly as useless. Just looking at the password store file makes it plainly obvious that this is a KeePassX password file - so anyone with bad intentions can find the file itself by looking for a simple pattern. In my opinion the only secure way to store stuff is not only to encrypt the data but also encrypt the file itself so that any pattern matching algorithm can't even find that.

I wouldn't store anything security related in the cloud when everybody can immediately see that it's security related.

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”