Official ZDoom Community Rules [revised May 8 2021]

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
MetroidJunkie

Re: Official ZDoom Community Rules [revised Jan 3 2015]

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Out of curiosity, what would the guidelines be concerning other hard subjects such as drugs (Especially hard street drugs) or concerning real life tragedies being used as reference? I suppose that would depend more on the context of it?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

MetroidJunkie wrote:Out of curiosity, what would the guidelines be concerning other hard subjects such as drugs (Especially hard street drugs) or concerning real life tragedies being used as reference? I suppose that would depend more on the context of it?
If you want to discuss a recent current event, feel free to start a thread, but link to a reasonably trustworthy page of news about it, because I'm sure a lot of us aren't in the mood to go digging up information about it if all that gets posted is something like, "So, how about that O.J. Simpson verdict" with no accompanying text or link. Basically, try to actually start a discussion; I occasionally get tired of seeing threads that are nothing but a CNN or BBC News link and the word "Discuss."

Regarding drugs...ehh I'm less comfortable about this one. I know there are places in this world where certain types of drugs are now legalized (my home state is one such place...), but if I might borrow a few stand-up comedians' words on it, "the problem with people who smoke weed is that they only ever seem to want to talk about smoking weed, and they never want to actually go do anything." If you think you can conduct a level-headed discussion about drugs, then I have no real reason to stop you, but bear in mind the rules: if it'd get you arrested in real life, you probably shouldn't talk about it here, either.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Well, I meant in terms of Doom mods. While there are many movies based on real life tragedies, video games still seem very controversial when they attempt to bring up such subjects, like that one military game that would have depicted a real life event but was pulled due to the controversy it spewed. And, of course, there are plenty of games that get into the subject of hard drugs like the GTA series.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Well, I don't really have much in terms of guidelines for that, aside from "just try not to piss people off."
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

I think this is the right place to post this; how do you put a logo on your thread? I've seen some with a nuke logo and I'd love to be able to do that.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Might be

Code: Select all

[thumb][/thumb]
(Or "thumbnail" instead of "thumb"...)
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

So, because Imgur has hidden the options for generating image thumbnails, the tutorial I wrote no longer applies, so I'd like to make a public service announcement:

Please mind your image sizes!
If your image is wider than ~640 pixels, please consider sizing it down using Irfanview or a similar image-editing program, because full-size 1920x1080 screenshots are really inconvenient to download, and in a lot of cases, don't show up all the way in most peoples' browser windows.
Doomguy5th

Post by Doomguy5th »

Just curious, is there a way to change your username on the forums? Because I made this username on accident, and now I wanna change it
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I just sent a PM to Randi when I wanted my name changed. There's no guarantee she'll do it, and it's not something I would ask often, but it's worth a shot.
Doomguy5th

Post by Doomguy5th »

Eruanna wrote:I just sent a PM to Randi when I wanted my name changed. There's no guarantee she'll do it, and it's not something I would ask often, but it's worth a shot.
I'll give that a shot, thanks!

EDIT: Sent him/her a PM, hopefully he/she responds
Xeotroid
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xeotroid »

Eruanna wrote:I just sent a PM to Randi when I wanted my name changed. There's no guarantee she'll do it, and it's not something I would ask often, but it's worth a shot.
Wait, Randy is a she?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Is it that important?
wildweasel

Re: Official ZDoom Community Rules [revised Mar 14 2015]

Post by wildweasel »

I realized there were some noticeable gaps in the Mandatory Rules section, so here they are:
  • Please don't post anything with severe racist connotations, including epithets or hurtful stereotypes.
  • I'd really appreciate it if you keep major drama movements like a certain "ethics in game journalism" hashtag away from our forums. I don't care what side you're on.
    [...]
  • Illegal music and albums. A lot of times, a Youtube embed of a single song is fine, but "full album" uploads are NOT okay.
I also updated the "images and videos" section to include a new guide on how to use Imgur's thumbnails without the clickable button.
Mikk-

Re: Official ZDoom Community Rules [revised Mar 14 2015]

Post by Mikk- »

Just a minor nitpick but the date is incorrect it should read 'Mar 14 2016' :p
wildweasel

Re: Official ZDoom Community Rules [revised Mar 14 2016]

Post by wildweasel »

Oops. You saw nothing. =P

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”