** Bug Posting Guidelines **

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
Mr. Tee

** Bug Posting Guidelines **

Post by Mr. Tee »

1. The title shouldn't just say "Bug" or "Crash", it should take the form of:
[ZDoom_Version] Effect : Possible_Cause

Here are some examples:
[2.5.0] Bug : Backpack messes up number of custom items
[2.4.1] Crash : Decorate actors using A_Custom Missle
[2.4.0] Total Lockup : Dividing by zero in ACS scripts

Always use the latest version you observed the bug in as your version number. Tags like "HEAD", "Latest", "Since forever" are completely useless. If you have a previous version number that you now worked, feel free to include it inside the report as well.

2. Please attach the 'CrashReport.zip' that is saved in the event of a crash.

3. If you experience a bug or crash with a custom WAD/PK3 file, please try one of the following:
  • Attach the WAD/PK3 file to the bug report post if the file is small enough
  • Post a link to a download location for that WAD/PK3 file if possible
  • Upload the WAD/PK3 file to a file-sharing host yourself and post the link (do not use non-permanent hosts like Rapidshare, MediaFire, etc...)
3a. If a feature is not working correctly, providing a fully functional file for testing purposes will increase the likelihood that your bug will be investigated in a timely manner.

For example, if you are using a DECORATE function and it isn't working the way it should, you should include a fully-functional test wad or pk3 and not just an excerpt from your DECORATE code. Similarly, if something is not working in TEXTURES, provide an example wad or pk3 with a TEXTURES definition that illustrates the problem and the necessary graphics. Do the same for any other features.

4. Only post bugs and crashes for the most recent version of GZDoom (i.e. not Zandronum, ZDoomGL, or anything else). You may also want to check with a recent development build to see if this bug has already been fixed.

If the bug is for Zandronum, that has its own tracker: http://zandronum.com/tracker/my_view_page.php

5. If you post a bug for a self-compiled SVN version, please try to gather some information in the debugger yourself. Crash logs for such builds are of no use.

6. Do not send bug reports as private messages to the developers. These will most likely be ignored without investigation.

7. Please don't use the Report Post button to flag duplicates. Bump the thread instead, because the devs don't check the Moderator Control Panel and moderators prefer that Reports be used for posts that break the community rules.
Last edited by wildweasel on Mon May 08, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 47 times in total.
Reason: Some clarifications/updates
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

These are some really useful guidelines which should be stuck in a sticky thread at the top of the bugs forum. I think this is a response to the latest useless bug report from today, right?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Sounds good to me, although I'd put the version number first to make it easier to sort out old vs new bugs in a search...
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

Graf Zahl wrote:These are some really useful guidelines which should be stuck in a sticky thread at the top of the bugs forum. I think this is a response to the latest useless bug report from today, right?
I was in a hurry, and it was on my mum's computer, so I couldn't stay on long after the crash.
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

Why limit it just to ZDoom information? What about system? Windows Version? Processor? Ram? Sound card? Video?

It all effects the way ZDoom runs.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It depends on the bug whether this is necessary. For obvious gameplay bugs this really isn't necessary. For crashes it should be included, though.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

If you just use the basic title suggestion that Mr Tee suggested and then, if it's relevent, stick the OS, computer specs, etc... in the actual post. This would keep the title reletively short, yet still important, and any additional information is contained within the post.

Good work Mr Tee :).

:twisted:
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Go Mr. Tee! I hope this helps out alot!

Heh. I never knew a Cajun Bot could be so helpful (no offense). :P
BouncyTEM
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

This is EXACTLY what the Bugs forum needed. I waited for something like this...
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Perhaps another guideline should be posted saying that you should probably attempt to reproduce that crash/bug before posting it... 'cause if you can't reproduce it, then it's probably just a one-time thing that you'll never see again.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No. Even one time crashes may point Randy to a potential problem.

I once had a strange crash in one of my programs which I was unable to reproduce but investigation got me to a very serious error that only rarely resulted in a crash but could also silently destroy data.
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

I get crashes every day like that.... maybe I SHOULD POST THEM.
Mr. Tee

Post by Mr. Tee »

Teh new guidelines... Simpler, and closer to the style most people like to bugs in.

Happy Holidays,
Merry ZDooming!
Janizdreg

Post by Janizdreg »

I second that the title form recommended in the first guideline should be [ZDoom_Version] Effect : Possible_Cause. Most people seem to use it already anyway.
doom2day

Post by doom2day »

giest118 wrote:Perhaps another guideline should be posted saying that you should probably attempt to reproduce that crash/bug before posting it... 'cause if you can't reproduce it, then it's probably just a one-time thing that you'll never see again.
If someone knows how to reproduce a bug then that would be useful

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”