PSA: Regarding Images Hosted on Photobucket

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.

PSA: Regarding Images Hosted on Photobucket

Postby Kinsie » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:50 am

As of earlier this week, Photobucket has updated its terms of service to remove the ability for free users to hotlink images (which is to say, to post Photobucket-hosted images on other sites, like here). This functionality is now locked behind a "PLUS 500" subscription plan, which is priced at US$400/year.

Photobucket images now look like this, as observed in the Russian Overkill thread:
TootsyBowl wrote:Uhm, guys, am I the only one who's seeing this in the OP?

If you use Photobucket, please instead use a different image host, such as Imgur, or your own web hosting. If you have used Photobucket for images here recently, it would be VERY much appreciated if you could replace them so that your threads can remain legible.

Thanks!
Kinsie
No Less Vile...

Re: PSA: Regarding Images Hosted on Photobucket

Postby Enjay » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:54 am

I'd actually just picked this up via another forum. I don't use Photobucket (I've always thought it to be an awkward and intrusive way to host pictures) but I was surprised when I saw people talking about the price. Seems very high for what they are offering, especially as it can be done for free elsewhere.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Kinsie » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:04 am

Enjay wrote:I'd actually just picked this up via another forum. I don't use Photobucket (I've always thought it to be an awkward and intrusive way to host pictures) but I was surprised when I saw people talking about the price. Seems very high for what they are offering, especially as it can be done for free elsewhere.

Judging by the reactions spotted by El Reg, this is to capitalize on folks who have been using the service for a decade+, forcing them to cough up or effectively lose all their hotlinked images.
Kinsie
No Less Vile...

Postby Mikk- » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:25 am

I quit using Photobucket years ago due to their bandwidth limit. Which if said limit is hit, all of your hotlinked photos would get nuked until you bought more bandwidth.
Mikk-
blub blub blub

Postby Enjay » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:58 am

Kinsie wrote:Judging by the reactions spotted by El Reg, this is to capitalize on folks who have been using the service for a decade+, forcing them to cough up or effectively lose all their hotlinked images.

Oh, I can see why they would do that. It's nasty, but I see the logic.
Enjay

Postby Jimmy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:01 am

This is why I've always preferred imgur.

Heck I preferred imageshack over Photobucket 10 years ago.
Jimmy
Joyful Barrel

Discord: Jimmy#4100

Postby AvzinElkein » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:15 am

...and this is why I use imgur.
AvzinElkein

Discord: AvzinElkein#8621

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:05 am

Worse yet, they swarm you with ads like none other, making it all the more annoying to work with.
Major Cooke
Slow yet powerful ZScript modder.

Discord: Major Cooke#0846

PhotoBucket breaks over a decade of images

Postby xenoxols » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:48 pm

Photobucket is now requiring its users to upgrade (from free to $399) before they can embed images. This applies to everything that has already been posted. Just look in the spriting carnival for evidence.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15919224/photobucket-broken-images-amazon-ebay-etsy-paid-update
http://lifehacker.com/back-up-your-photos-so-companies-like-photobucket-cant-1796726043
xenoxols

Re: PhotoBucket breaks over a decade of images

Postby Rachael » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:52 pm

It happens with all image hosts. Either they feel they're losing too much money (in some cases, they're right), or they simply want to make more money. It'll happen with imgur too, down the line, and they'll just be replaced by something else.
Rachael

Postby Nevander » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:46 pm

Photobucket sucks anyway. They sucked for years before they did this, now they just mega-suck. I hope it doesn't happen to Imgur because they are really good.
Nevander
The Doomslayer

Postby Project Dark Fox » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:47 pm

$399 a year? Are they out of their minds?! Complete and total website hosting plans cost about 1/3rd that price and they include a domain name to go with it!
Project Dark Fox
Tyra is tired of your bullshit

Postby Enjay » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:58 pm

As Kinsie said in the other thread...

Kinsie wrote:Judging by the reactions spotted by El Reg, this is to capitalize on folks who have been using the service for a decade+, forcing them to cough up or effectively lose all their hotlinked images.
Enjay

Postby Rachael » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Yeah if there's another topic on it there's no reason for it to remain separate.

(Merge done, now)
Rachael

Return to Rules and Forum Announcements