Brutal HeXen - BETA RELEASED

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Brutal HeXen - BETA RELEASED

Post by DoomRater »

Because the blunderbuss isn't powered by mana?
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

Unless you get mana-tipped shells! So the muzzle flash is BLUE and the bullet collisions have a bluish-hue?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

> shells
> spriteset of muzzle-loader
Woolie Wool
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

Yeah? Well my gun fires MAGICAL lead shot! How about that?
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Just played the beta. Definitely disliking the combo system a lot less though button-mashing remains the best way to get the 2-hit combo.

Suggestion: Just let the player hold down the attack button to strike over and over. The second hit pulls the player forward which I think is enough of a situational hazard that a combo may not always be desirable; exaggerating this effect to expose the player to more danger may work as a balancing factor.
Reason: The main challenge in the axe is to test the player's timing. To the extent that you're moving around the map trying not to be flanked and waiting to close in on an attack etc., the nature of the challenge remains exactly the same if hitting attack starts an attack animation immediately with a few extra tics in front, but is only made harder because of the counterintuitive nature of release-to-attack. I really think it's just a layer of artificial difficulty that has the player fighting the controls more than fighting the monsters.

Double-tap shield bash is a vast improvement in any event.

Funny thing I noticed about the shield: as a pure hold-to-block defence its worth is negligible, but the bash is the single best defence against getting mobbed by groups of baddies - and the best opening attack against an ettin since you can close in and axe it without getting hit back if your combo fails. Tempted to suggest that the shield bash be the altfire and getting rid of pure-defence static blocking altogether.

If this is a deliberate design decision, excellent foresight there. :D

Also appreciating that the centaurs take less forever to hit.
Eric_

Post by Eric_ »

The hud doesn't look very good unscaled.
Spoiler:
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Vaecrius wrote:Just played the beta. Definitely disliking the combo system a lot less though button-mashing remains the best way to get the 2-hit combo.
Is not. Hold altfire till the shield is up then hold fire. It's even faster than if you hadn't brought up the shield at all.

Edit: I daresay just replace holding down fire with the shield block, and make pressing altfire bash.
Matt

Post by Matt »

...huh. Didn't even notice that combo. I meant the two-hit combo from the primary.

...which brings up a new question: Why don't we doesn't a reasonable player, with enough dexterity to do so or some kind of script or just plain editing the mod, just do that one combo all the time?
EDIT: I mean, as opposed to the ordinary primary fire which, compared to the shield bash and the from-shield combo, has no advantage whatsoever.

EDIT2: Edited my rhetorical question to avoid the obvious answer "because you sometimes miss that combo so you end up doing the ordinary attack by mistake"

EDIT3:
DoomRater wrote:Edit: I daresay just replace holding down fire with the shield block, and make pressing altfire bash.
Perfect!
Last edited by Matt on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I didn't look at the code so I'm not sure if it does the same amount of damage, but if that's the case it's the reasoning behind the changes I'd like to see. I'd rather be attempting to do that combo with a double tap at the right moments with a longer window of opportunity to get the second shot off than what's offered now. At least this way if I forget and just hold down fire for some reason I'll have defenses.

Edit: one more thing. Since smacking the ground with the hammer doesn't use mana, should it explode and deal damage to mobs when that happens? Because your no mana usage of the hammer does not, and it makes little sense to not spend any mana and still be able to use splash damage to kill an ettin without using anything... You can detect this with puffs if you're careful, but it won't work on something that doesn't bleed.
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

The mod is shaping up well so far but I don't like how variable the damage is. The hammer especially is a high-risk attack and it should do pretty much full damage every time to be really worthwhile.

And speaking of the hammer, its cooldown is way, way too long. If an enemy doesn't die on the first hit, it will do significant damage before you can finish it off.
Matt

Post by Matt »

What would be nice for the hammer is if its "cooldown" involved a bit more animation - smoke coming out, a bit of a struggle lifting it back into position - so it feels like less of an arbitrary "game balance" thing.

Also, why is it when I use the give weapons cheat and run out of green spamming the Quietus altfire, I end up wielding the hammer left-handed?

EDIT: Is anyone else inordinately amused at how Homestuck-esque the new Quietus altfire looks? :V
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

Alright than SGT, here is what I must say when I played the game.

1, There is a bug in which the fighter's belt turns green when he executes the fatality on the afrit. Also, when starting the game, the zoomed out hud is all glitched. I'm using Zdoom.

2, I'll be honest. Not a fan of the shield and the Axe combo existing in the game. It feels akward. Its too frantic and haphazard. Sometimes I execute the fatality unintentionally and die because I could not stop the animation. The shield looks just meh anyway. Couldn't there be something hard hitting and precise for a first weapon? I always felt that fighter needed one of those powerful weapons that needed the be held by both hands to be really effective. Or maybe something with a little magic instilled within?

3, The crossbow is wierd aswell. For someone who made such an awesome shotgun in Brutal Doom, I'm surprised you have designed this weapon to shoot like a broken spring rifle. Its weak and hard to aim. If this is its completed version, then I have to wonder; Is the purpose for balancing the early segment of the game? Or is it that the experience system, that demands to be fulfilled before this things becomes really useful(I played only till shadow woods)?

4, Having said all that, this Mod still looks promising. If you are working on this, where do you need sprite assistance in? Cleric and Mage? Fatalities?
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

I would suggest making the Cleric dependent on magical weapons, while the Mage uses magical spells. if you need sprites for them, the Demon Eclipse Episode 3 ones are for the most part unused.
Matt

Post by Matt »

After loading DOOM2.WAD as my IWAD by mistake and spamming Quietus against cyberdemons in the Map01 courtyard:
You have reached level 3! Crossbow accuracy improved! Max health increased by 10!
after which the shot always hit about half a foot under the crosshair.

EDIT: And it does seem the ability to gain XP from Doom monsters is intentional - i.e. Sarge went out of his way to code it in. :O
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

The crossbow also seems to pass harmlessly through enemies at times. This makes the Death Wyvern seemingly impossible to kill without cheats.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”