Project Brutality 3.0 Neural Upscale Project (Completed)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BerserkerNoir
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Project Brutality 3.0 Neural Upscale Project (Completed)

Post by BerserkerNoir »

Hi there Everyone!
Today I present to you this extensive project about upscaling PB 3.0 weapons (and Enemies maybe someday)
The Sprite count is insane, and of course Optimizations are expected since it might be laggy for low end CPU/GPU users. (GLES renderer recommended)
I am about 90% done with the Process, and since I am not doing this lazily, Animations are still being polished.
For reference I am playing with Core i7 4th Gen and a GTX 1050ti, i am using a certain custom shader for GZDOOM, on top of recording at 50 mbps i get small performance drops.
All the Weapons were upscaled only 200% since anything larger might become a hassle while playing and some weapons were upscaled using the XBRZ method since some weapons show deformations while using other "photorealistic" models.
For reference, the Sprite count for only weapons is Above 10K sprites.
A preview here:
Update:
Its been Completed!
Feel free to try it out, I optimized it to the best I could.

Without Further ado, here:
https://mega.nz/folder/xh4FxLSL#-E3b-PnCph71_DuvUeiA8g

Last edited by BerserkerNoir on Sat May 27, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
D2 Mod Player

Re: Project Brutality 3.0 Neural Upscale Project (WIP)

Post by D2 Mod Player »

Looking at this is INTERESTING! Because I'm doing my own unannounced Doom project myself after my Wolf 3D project. I'm not using an AI upscaler but my own experience in photoshop.

I wasn't familiar with Project Brutality as I'm not really a Doom mod player, more of a Diablo one, LOL, so I looked it up on youtube to become familiar with the mod to see how you improved it. :D

I'm particularly impressed with the HUD weapons and how much those are improved! :D

So are you upscaling the wall and floor textures too? Forgive me if I didn't notice.

Would be great to see how your enemies turn out, generally the former Neural AI projects with enemy sprites leave alot to be desired, as the originals actually look better. :D (referring to the one on the main mod site, now that I think of it, that says it's for gzdoom. One on this forum is actually better but is quite pixelated up close and it only helps on mid-range to long distance viewing).

Good luck on completing your project! Thanks for the nice video.

I should start work on my project again.... Only 1000 textures to go.....
BerserkerNoir

Post by BerserkerNoir »

D2 Mod Player wrote:Looking at this is INTERESTING! Because I'm doing my own unannounced Doom project myself after my Wolf 3D project. I'm not using an AI upscaler but my own experience in photoshop.

I wasn't familiar with Project Brutality as I'm not really a Doom mod player, more of a Diablo one, LOL, so I looked it up on youtube to become familiar with the mod to see how you improved it. :D

I'm particularly impressed with the HUD weapons and how much those are improved! :D

So are you upscaling the wall and floor textures too? Forgive me if I didn't notice.

Would be great to see how your enemies turn out, generally the former Neural AI projects with enemy sprites leave alot to be desired, as the originals actually look better. :D (referring to the one on the main mod site, now that I think of it, that says it's for gzdoom. One on this forum is actually better but is quite pixelated up close and it only helps on mid-range to long distance viewing).

Good luck on completing your project! Thanks for the nice video.

I should start work on my project again.... Only 1000 textures to go.....
Thanks for the kind words, and nope, for the moment only weaponry is being given the treatment, HOWEVER there is a second episode for this same mapset that I already have an unreleased texture pack.
And enemies are the hard part because of the Pixelated Aesthetic, it doenst translate well with upscaling UNLESS you give it a manual treatment with photoshop and other artistic skills.
Good luck on your project, since youre doing it manually is an even harder task than mine.
D2 Mod Player

Post by D2 Mod Player »

You bring up a very good point. Some choose to keep the pixel as an "aesthetic" and others do not. I remove it since Doom is not a pixel art game, it is simply old. ;)

As a result, without knowing the artist's original intention, it is difficult to judge. I don't know if the Neural AI project on this forum for vanilla doom was intending to keep the pixels or not, for example.

I also noted your own personal rig is very humble, mine is fairly new but the stuttering issue can come up pretty quickly without alot of effort with enemies, if say you make each sprite frame 30MB each. ;) With a more modest resolution it can still be 150MB per enemy. Sprites use far more hardware than 3D models. :D

Oh, and you are welcome.

Yes, I've been playing with Photoshop along time and macros (actions) can be made but it requires manual work on every texture/frame (for me though, the enemies themselves only take me one day to complete if I worked really hard that one day, but the downside is I haven't seen most of them ingame yet).
Mnemnon

Post by Mnemnon »

Very promising project, especially if you will be able to actually make it optimized. Will follow the progress.
Void Warrior

Re: Project Brutality 3.0 Neural Upscale Project (Completed)

Post by Void Warrior »

BerserkerNoir, here is a normal link to your mod's files. The old link doesn't work.

https://mega.nz/folder/x1wDzCIZ#WKkQPLpgWgpKBpUzpSTMNg
BerserkerNoir

Post by BerserkerNoir »

Void Warrior wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:28 am BerserkerNoir, here is a normal link to your mod's files. The old link doesn't work.

https://mega.nz/folder/x1wDzCIZ#WKkQPLpgWgpKBpUzpSTMNg
Youre right, its been a long time since I updated the Thread.
Just posted the correct link, thanks for the reminder.
Terrapin2190
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows7
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Terrapin2190 »

Hey, is there any way you might be able to mirror these on a cloud server other than Mega? Trying to download from there always freezes my PC for some reason.
If not, I understand. I'm just in a weird situation of no home internet and downloading via bootable Lubuntu USB after my hdd crapped out lol. Then transferring to my offline Windows home PC...
And are these current with the github repo of PB?
BerserkerNoir

Post by BerserkerNoir »

Terrapin2190 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:01 pm Hey, is there any way you might be able to mirror these on a cloud server other than Mega? Trying to download from there always freezes my PC for some reason.
If not, I understand. I'm just in a weird situation of no home internet and downloading via bootable Lubuntu USB after my hdd crapped out lol. Then transferring to my offline Windows home PC...
And are these current with the github repo of PB?
Yes, is up to date, but not to date with the JMartinez Build or the Staging Build, it will be updated once the Master Branch gets the newest Update.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... share_link
I recommend you to use the MegaSync App for Mega Downloads, if you ever need something from that service.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”