[addon][v0.2] Nomina - Custom names

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

[addon][v0.2] Nomina - Custom names

Post by m8f »

An add-on that adds custom names (tags) to a selection of custom Doom monsters and weapons.

In a perfect world, mod authors add tags to their custom classes. Currently, there are a lot of mods that lack name definitions. In this case, the engine falls back to class name. This add-on tries to fix this by providing a database of custom names.

(Example: NC HUD)

Download
Source code

How to use

There are mods that display or use monster and weapon names. They fall into three categories:
  • For some mods, nomina will just work. Examples: NC HUD.
  • For some mods, nomina must be loaded before them.
  • Some mods won't work with nomina unless the compatibility is added to them. API for compatibility is coming soon (maybe).
Supported names
  • The Ultimate Torment & Torture
  • DoomRL Arsenal
  • Bullet-Eye
  • Compendium
  • REKKR
  • Freedoom
Hey, fellow players!

If you like this addon, you can help by supplying class-name pairs for other mods. Also, it would be interesting to know what mods are compatible with this, and which are not.

This mod is a part of m8f's toolbox.
Last edited by m8f on Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spaceman333

Re: [addon][v0.2] Nomina - Custom names

Post by Spaceman333 »

Long ago while I was still making the Monster Scouter addon, a user by the name Coldcite shared a project that seems to do exactly what this mod does:
https://github.com/coldcite/DoomActorNameDB

Maybe the data from that one can be ported to this one and thus expand the database quickly.

That said, do the class names really bother people? I always felt totally fine with them, even if some of them looked a bit unofficial-like.
m8f

Post by m8f »

Thanks! I'll have a look. These names need some rechecking, as many mods have updated since then.

That library does almost the same as this one. The difference is this is an optional addon, and most of the mods that display names don't have to include names themselves.

Regarding proper names - I don't know how many people care about this, really. Maybe this is my personal itch. When I see a custom monster, I want to know what it is, and "Imp2" doesn't tell much. Or something like "lordofheresy" cannot be read quickly.
krutomisi

Post by krutomisi »

I'm inside of chex3.wad and it has stings such as

Code: Select all

ACTOR FlemoidusCommonusV3 replaces FlemoidusCommonus
CC_ZOMBIE = "Commonus";

actor BlueFlemKey : BlueSkull 40
GOTBLUEFLEM = "Picked up a blue flemkey.";

actor SuperLargeZorcher : SuperShotgun 82
inventory.pickupmessage "$GOTSUPERLARGEZORCHER"
Would contributing the info in the following format be helpful?

Code: Select all

"FlemoidusCommonusV3" : "Commonus",
 "BlueFlemKey" : "Blue Flemkey",
 "SuperLargeZorcher" : "Super Large Zorcher",
ileblanc
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ileblanc »

Man, I just discovered that nomina is killing my frame rate. I usually play heavy mods like Project Brutality with slaughter maps with no issue but when I load nomina mi FPS con straight to hell. Why's that happening? Anyone knows a way to fix it?
m8f

Post by m8f »

Nomina loads a name from internal storage or from a CVar every time an actor is spawned. If Project Brutality spawns a lot of actors repeatedly, it may cause performance issues.

Of course, there is a lot of room for optimization in Nomina. Maybe adding an actor filter will help.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”