[WIP] WidePix: 16:9/21:9 Graphics Replacement Project

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WIP] WidePix: 16:9/21:9 Graphics Replacement Project

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:51 am

Graf Zahl wrote:I PM'ed Sponge about it, the wording here is really unfortunate because I am dead certain that this was not intended to be this restrictive.

I just got a response and it's pretty much what was expected - looks like a legal fuckup but it has to be cleared by Legal again, so for the time being these assets are off limits. I'm going to stick with Nash's work as it becomes available then.

- I will most likely not do the Raven games (Heretic/Hexen) as I was informed that NeoWorm is/was working on one and I'd rather not step on their work.

- Strife is currently not planned because that would take a crapton of work (there are like 10 million graphics to replace for Strife)

which, in any case, leaves this. Regarding Strife, it's not really as bad as you think. There's not really that many images and I'd leave out the cartoonish cutscene images anyway because they'd simply be too much work. What would be nice, though, is to have some frame to put around them so that the black space at the sides won't look so empty. What remains after that is the title and the credits image, if I'm not mistaken and the title is mostly empty space anyway.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Nash » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:20 am

Alright, I will prioritize finishing up this pack as soon as possible then.

EDIT:

Yes, silently working on it... one graphic at a time...

Last edited by Nash on Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Trimint123 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:43 am

Graf Zahl wrote:I just got a response and it's pretty much what was expected - looks like a legal fuckup but it has to be cleared by Legal again, so for the time being these assets are off limits. I'm going to stick with Nash's work as it becomes available then.

Well, that's sucks. Guess I'll keep it for myself, then. I'm also gonna wait for DOOM Registered CREDIT in 21:9 were made here.
Trimint123

Discord: Trimint123#1987
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:11 am

One quick question for completenss' sake:
Do you have any plans to redo the Heretic and Hexen weapons and UI elements like the status bar?
I know there's an old mod from roughly 10 years ago but it has no permissions listed and I can't find the thread about it anymore.
If we add widescreen assets to the game I think the set should be complete and include these parts as well.
Graf Zahl

Postby Nash » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:32 am

Graf Zahl wrote:One quick question for completenss' sake:
Do you have any plans to redo the Heretic and Hexen weapons and UI elements like the status bar?
I know there's an old mod from roughly 10 years ago but it has no permissions listed and I can't find the thread about it anymore.
If we add widescreen assets to the game I think the set should be complete and include these parts as well.

Short answer: Yes. I know I am contradicting what I previously said before (about not doing the other games except Doom), but I am going all out with this. Every major IWAD game will be covered.

////////////////////////////////////

To everyone else:

I will not be taking resources from anyone else's work. These are all done from scratch by me. That means I will not be taking any outside contributions. I am doing this to not complicate permission issues and all that jazz.

You can follow my progress at the repo.

Won't stop until all of it is done.
Last edited by Nash on Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nash

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:32 am

I've seen those, I was more talking about the weapons. Are those also on the list?
Graf Zahl

Postby Nash » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:01 am

Graf Zahl wrote:Are those also on the list?

Yes, they will be. In the commit you can already see that I wide-ified the Heretic staff. I plan to fix the Hexen weapons not only horizontally, but vertically too.

(for example, my goal is to make the axe, sword etc not cut off even vertically)

An ambitious undertaking, but I am confident. :mrgreen:
Nash

Postby ShockwaveS08 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:43 am

Will you be adding a filter-folder for WADSmoosh?

Filter ID is "doom.id.doom2.wadsmoosh".
ShockwaveS08
Ripping and tearing on Android.

Discord: Shockwave_S08#0859
Github ID: ShockwaveS08

Postby Nash » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:47 am

I currently don't use WadSmoosh; I'll deal with it after I'm done drawing everything.
Nash

Postby Rachael » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:29 am

The only thing that's different about Wadsmoosh besides having all assets combined AFAIK is the title screen. But if you base it on Doom 1's, all you have to do is drop Wadsmoosh's graphic in the middle and you're covered.

@ Nash: I can help you deal with that.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:04 pm

The bigger issue would be to sort the images properly into the filter. But TBH, I think this is better done the other way around - let WadSmoosh pick up this thing and integrate the images into is created pk3 file.

BTW, for inclusion in GZDoom I'm going to have to convert all images into Doom patches so that they work as intended with mods that change the palette.
Graf Zahl

Postby Nash » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:38 pm

Time for a public progress report.

I made quite a bit of progress lately!

I'll showcase a select few here (only the new ones). I can't post all of them, that would be too spammy. You can follow my progress here.

Note: Please do not use these images yet. Wait for me to declare the official 1.0 release! Should be any time soon now at this speed I'm going.

Spoiler: Doom

Spoiler: Heretic

Spoiler: Strife

Spoiler: Chex Quest (bonus!)

None of these are final. Will be subject to further tweaking until I am 100% happy with all of them. Again - I didn't post all of my work as that would be too spammy, and I've skipped posting some of the mundane ones. Check out the Github to see everything.
Last edited by Nash on Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nash

Postby Nash » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:13 pm

Episode 3 done. Got inspired by a bit of Diablo and the floating hell levels in Doom 2016.
Last edited by Nash on Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nash

Postby NightFright » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:26 am

By expanding the scope of the project to non-Doom games and also including sprites, this entire project turned from highly interesting to essential.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby ShockwaveS08 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:31 am

I took it for a brief spin just now, and everything's rendering properly on my device, even the Doom 1 intermission "maps"! I will note that the Chex Quest 3 graphics weren't working at first; renaming the filter folder to "chex.chex3", and then moving the PNG's into a "graphics" folder within the filter fixed it though. Other than that, absolute perfection! :D
ShockwaveS08
Ripping and tearing on Android.

Discord: Shockwave_S08#0859
Github ID: ShockwaveS08

PreviousNext

Return to Graphic/Audio Patches