Weapon Matching Player Skin 1.1

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Weapon Matching Player Skin 1.1

Postby Ivory Duke » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:56 pm

I AM NO LONGER INVOLVED IN DOOM MODDING, YOU ARE FREE TO USE THIS A YOU PLEASE (JUST MENTION MY NAME SOMEWHERE IN THE CREDITS OUT OF CURTESY).
I am aware this has been executed through inventory jumps and custom states in other mods but I wanted to accomplish the same result without the need for extensive code editing.
GZDoom 3.0+

Code that switches sprite frame used depending on the selected weapon using ZScript instead of creating custom sub states for each weapon player can use.
You are free to use the code as you please. Although I encourage you to follow the edits suggested in the ZScript.txt file if you are planning to include it in your mod.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Code: Select allExpand view
Changelog 1.1:
- set up proper weapon replacements;
- fixed sprite rotations alignements as much as possible. Berzerk uses very different sprites and a few weapons have full rotations.

Sprites used are taken from Ghastly's Marine Skins pack and a few have been renamed for coding purposes.
Code: Select allExpand view
Sprite credits:
- Fist Marine - Sprite by: Mark Quinn
- Chainsaw Marine - Sprite by: Mark Quinn and Xenaero
- Pistol Marine - Sprite by: Mark Quinn and Grimm
- Shotgun Marine - Sprite by: Mark Quinn
- Super Shotgun Marine - Sprite by: Xim, Xenaero and The Skulltag Team
- Chaingun Marine - Sprite by: Anthony Cole
- Rocket Marine - Sprite by: Xim
- Plasma Marine - Sprite by: CaptainToenail
- BFG9000 Marine - Sprite by: Toke
Last edited by Ivory Duke on Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ivory Duke
Retired

Re: Weapon Matching Player Skin 1.0

Postby PandaDoomer » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:11 am

Nice, though it would've been nice if the sprite offsets were consistent.
PandaDoomer
I suck at making DOOM mods.

Discord: PedroThePanda64#1661
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Ivory Duke » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:28 am

Hi, I have merely copy pasted the sprite from the mentioned pack assuming they were consistent since the focus was more on the coding side of things (i have not laid hands on the sprite themselves).
I'll possibly look into adjusting the offsets in the future.
I do not expect you to do it but it would be nice if you could let me know which ones are off, thank you in advance
Ivory Duke
Retired

Postby Xim » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:00 am

Yeah I don't remember if we aligned all the sprites correctly. Hard to do it automatically because some of the sprites are different width. But the inconsistent ones seem to be the chaingun, chainsaw, supershotgun and fist/berserk.

BTW, this is great stuff. Keep it up.

EDIT: Although I must report that GZDoom froze when I picked up the chainsaw in chasecam mode. Might be an infinite loop or something because I had to open up the task manager.
Xim

Postby Ivory Duke » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:07 pm

Thank you for the report.

Fixing the offsets will take a bit more time but I will fix that crash right away, I have a pretty clear idea of what might be the cause
Ivory Duke
Retired

Re: Weapon Matching Player Skin 1.1

Postby Ivory Duke » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:52 pm

I addressed the sprite alignement as much as I could and I should have fixed the crash.
I have looked at the sprites both with chasecam and not, picking up weapons in either scenarios and encountered no freezes or crashes
Ivory Duke
Retired

Return to Graphic/Audio Patches