ToonDoom 4xRes Skin Pack_work in progress

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NorthyToons

ToonDoom 4xRes Skin Pack_work in progress

Post by NorthyToons »

Hey Folks I'm working on a Cartoon style monster redesign pack for Doom2

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-hd/addo ... m-skinpack

only 2 monsters so far which need some more blood and guts. but tell me what you think so far.

you can check for updates on DavidNorthArt on Twitter.
NorthyToons

Re: ToonDoom 4xRes Skin Pack_work in progress

Post by NorthyToons »

PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

This looks pretty sweet!
dmslr

Post by dmslr »

Cool! But why is pinky so chubby? :D And will it have smooth animations?
NorthyToons

Post by NorthyToons »

dmslr wrote:Cool! But why is pinky so chubby? :D And will it have smooth animations?
Was thinking of making the Pinky look more like a demonic BullDog.

I'm keeping the animation framerate from the original game, although if you know how to add extra frames. that would be cool to know.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Dude, this looks badass!!
dmslr

Post by dmslr »

NorthyToons wrote:if you know how to add extra frames. that would be cool to know.
I don't have any experience in mod building. @Gifty did extra frames for his Smooth Doom mod. You can ask him advise or even borrow his frames. I think it will help a lot if you decide to make animations smoother.
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by MFG38 »

Eeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh...

While I dig the idea to some degree, I get the feeling it's one that would work best as a full-fledged graphic mod. Replace everything with a similar aesthetic, not just the enemy sprites, y'know. Maybe even add some cartoony effects to enhance the whole thing. The enemy sprites alone only look grossly out-of-place.

Sorry if I sound harsh. Just my honest opinion.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Lol, I love it what I've seen so far.

Remember, there are more than 2000 sprite entries in the doom2 iwad... and this project only works if you can make everything fit the motif. My advice, don't expand the project using smoothdoom sprites (it's a lot more work and, personally, smoothdoom is pretty ugly), stick to just the base iwad and work on all the sprites there first. I would suggest using the minor spritefix trooper and sergeant sprites so they don't need to be mirrored.
Valken

Post by Valken »

Looks great!
NorthyToons

Post by NorthyToons »

Scuba Steve wrote:Lol, I love it what I've seen so far.

Remember, there are more than 2000 sprite entries in the doom2 iwad... and this project only works if you can make everything fit the motif. My advice, don't expand the project using smoothdoom sprites (it's a lot more work and, personally, smoothdoom is pretty ugly), stick to just the base iwad and work on all the sprites there first. I would suggest using the minor spritefix trooper and sergeant sprites so they don't need to be mirrored.
Hey Scuba Steve

I'm very much a noob to everything. is doing this all this in a ".Pk3" workable in the long run? is Smoothdoom the effect in GZDoom? whats Spritefix?

this is all very interesting, thanks.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

No reason it shouldn't be workable.

Smoothdoom is a project that adds extra frames of animation to every object. I personally think it looks silly, and it will add thousands of extra images for you to draw. I would stick to the basic wad animation frames.

Minor Spritefix Project has extra frames for the trooper and sergeant so their guns face the correct position instead of mirroring their left and right sides. Open the project and look at the sergeant and trooper... they have new frames that look better.
NorthyToons

Post by NorthyToons »

Making a rough start on the Imp, I use these premade rigs called Bipeds, in 3DsMax to test out what I can fit into the OG's spite box.

Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Whoa how have I not seen this yet. this is awesome!
ToxicMasculinity
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ToxicMasculinity »

Holy shit! This is the first time I'm seeing this thread, and damn if doesn't look fricking amazing! Seriously. The enemies look extremely badass. I truly hope you finish this project, and good luck as I'm sure it looks a little daunting. Do you have any future plans on creating the weapons and/ or textures as well? Just curious, but if not I'm perfectly content with enemies only. They look so damn cool. Great job!

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”