Interactive Intervals : Ep 1

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Travis

Interactive Intervals : Ep 1

Post by Travis »

INTERACTIVE INTERVALS
Episode 1: Horizontal & Vertical Development

Last year I posted briefly about a dynamic music engine I was working on within zdoom. I've wanted to go back and polish it up ever since. So - I did.

This demonstration shows off a small handful of basic ideas. In a nutshell - it's a very basic arcade/arena shooter where waves of enemies spawn until the player kills them all and the next wave can spawn. The background music will progress in song structure (horizontally) between each wave. However, within each wave, the given section of looping music will develop with additional instruments and rising patterns (vertically). Some additional details take place such as in-game event being synced to the music, powerup duration affecting instrumentation, etc.

This is the first episode in what will (hopefully) be a handful of similar demonstrations. There is a lot you can do with music integration, and I have a few more ideas I'd like to make proof of concepts for.

I plan on doing a video talking through everything in-depth for those who might not have a background in game dev / game audio / etc...but you folks around here are bright and experienced modder types, so you probably won't need any additional explanation.

ALSO - note that you may find a bug or two. This demonstration is a glorified portfolio piece, not an airtight plug-and-play engine. It's primarily to serve as a vehicle for shopping my music work around. Most of the time in gamedev, this sort of stuff is handled in middleware programs such as FMOD or Wwise...but I wanted to see if I could do it via ACS. Do not expect a professional engineer's level of code. That said, I thought some of you might get some enjoyment out of it regardless.

Download:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ew3fnyrcuy2yqck/II_1.zip/file

How it works:
Spoiler:
Known issues:
Spoiler:

I've been out of the doom modding scene for years, so perhaps there are developments I'm not aware of which might be useful. I haven't even looked at ZSCRIPT yet, as it didn't exist back when I was active on this board. Maybe some of you scripting wizards can come up with better ways of doing it...!

Anyways, have fun with it! Hope you enjoy. Feel free to shoot me an email with any feedback or questions. Cheers

-Travis Morgan
http://www.travismorgan.net
contact@travismorgan.net
Tartlman

Re: Interactive Intervals : Ep 1

Post by Tartlman »

damn, that looks cool as hell. i'll try it soon™
skdursh

Post by skdursh »

I'm pretty sure there is a way to play different sounds/music in reaction to specific triggers during gameplay using UDMF scripting, but I can't really recall seeing anyone use it in any meaningful way before, so I'm not quite sure if it stacks up to your technique. Regardless, what you've done is certainly an advanced application of the concept.
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

That's amazing ...this would be absolutely amazing in so many doom mods ...
Dynamic music is really cool

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”