Brightmaps Plus v1.92

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Brightmaps Plus v1.71

Post by NightFright »

I had hoped it was easy enough to figure out now. You only need one of the first two, depending on whether you are using Revenant100's Sprite Fixing Project or not. If you are loading the wrong file, you WILL notice it since brightmaps won't match the ingame sprites all the time.

I will again rephrase the downloads in the OP, hoping it will avoid any future confusion for good. And please, don't quote the entire OP. We can all read by ourselves, I believe.
chrisssj2

Post by chrisssj2 »

AL-97 wrote:Spritefixed brightmaps are for the Sprite Fixing Projects, as it says in the OP that you quoted, by the way.
Im new to all this modding since 2 days. So normal users use non spritefixed versions, unless using specifics maps?
AL-97

Post by AL-97 »

Use the "Brightmaps for Vanilla Sprites" file unless you are also using the Sprite Fixing Project mod. "Brightmaps for textures" PK3 can be safely loaded alongside both Vanilla and Sprite Fixing Projects PK3s.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

It has nothing to do with maps, it's about sprites. The spritefix mod is applying some adjustments to sprites (like monsters, items, decorations etc) and some entries require brightmaps which are different from the ones for the original, unmodded sprites. If you don't use the sprite corrections made by Revenant100, you use the first package (1.1), otherwise package 1.2. Texture brightmaps can be used in any case, you can combine it with either of the first two packs.
okbuddy

Post by okbuddy »

Using the latest GZDoom release, 4.4.0, many of the brightmaps for various textures don't work. No other mods/sprite replacements/etc outside of the Doom/Doom II sprite fix wads and these brightmap packs are being used. They all appear to work correctly in 4.3.3.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

If nothing has been changed with brightmaps definition syntax, I'd consider this a GZD bug which needs to be reported to the team.

There are only two brightmaps-related entries in the 4.4.0 changelog:
- handle brightmaps in the main shader instead of keeping separate instances around
- for warped textures, warp all layers. With this brightmaps finally work on warped textures

Not sure if any of these could cause issues (the second entry almost certainly not). But a quick test from my side confirms this, texture brightmaps won't work any longer in 4.4.0. I have taken the liberty to report the issue by myself.
okbuddy

Post by okbuddy »

Cool. Thanks for making the report and also for your hard work and continued maintenance on this. These brightmaps, the minor sprite fix project and the sc55 music packs are my can't play without anymore autoloads.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

So, it was a bug and affects brightmaps defined with the iwad parameter, which applies to almost all texture brightmaps in the mod. It should be fixed in the next GZD service release or, if you cannot wait, an upcoming development snapshot. Otherwise keep using an older GZD build for now.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

With GZD 4.4.1, the issue should be fixed.
bLUEbYTE
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by bLUEbYTE »

Should autoloadbrightmaps=true or false when using this?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Since brightmaps.pk3 is needless with this, definitely false. Never load normal brightmaps with this, you will pointlessly increase loading times.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 1.72 released

Post by NightFright »

Even after all these years, bugs can still be found through simple gameplay. A world of wonders. You just need to update if you are using the textures pack, all other files are the same.

CHANGELOG v1.72 (Sep 25, 2020)
[bmplus_textures.pk3] Wrong brightmap for SW1STARG removed (Doom1)
Skrell

Re: Brightmaps Plus v1.72

Post by Skrell »

Can you please aggregate all the changelogs into 1 place? :)
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Maybe. Anyway, personally I am still using a merged release like before v1.7. Much easier to handle that way. I might go back to that system.
zenlikecreature

Post by zenlikecreature »

Wonderful mod, can't go anywhere without it. Just one thing though, any idea why Lost Souls turn dark (so you only see the flame) in most darker areas? It looks like a bug to me.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”