Fullscreen Statusbar Mod [ON HOLD]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Fullscreen Statusbar Mod [v5.0.1]

Post by NightFright »

3saster and I have come to the agreement to ultimately reject requests that were about switching ammo and armor display on the statusbar.

Main reasons:
- Too many custom HUDs will look wrong (e.g. cutting apart coherent graphics like in Scythe 2 or considering all the differently sized HUD sections of custom STBAR graphics)
- Too much deviation from the actual scope of the project (keeping it as much vanilla as possible)
- Would add a huge amount of work for a rather small (and limited) function

So please, don't ask for this any more, we won't implement it. Other HUD mods which are not heavily based on original graphics are better suited for a feature like this.
PhysixCat

Post by PhysixCat »

Makes a lot of sense to reject them. I'm still embarrassed I was one of the people who suggested it without having checked the first pages of the thread first. In case it makes things any better, I didn't mean to annoy you guys.

Thanks again, been really enjoying the latest release, and the move to git.
axredneck
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by axredneck »

Great HUD, much better than my handicraft.
Can it be possible to display system time, like in Alt HUD ?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

axredneck wrote:Can it be possible to display system time, like in Alt HUD ?
That's currently not possible.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I have requested that feature to be added to ZScript and it looks like the coding team will make it happen. After that it's not a problem to implement it. Personally I am also a fan of this, especially since level time display is more a thing for speedrunners. Normally I don't care how long I take to finish a level. Knowing how late it is on the other hand can be a lot more useful if you don't want to lose track of time while playing.
ToxicMasculinity
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ToxicMasculinity »

This HUD is quickly becoming my main default. It's really nice being able to keep the vanilla look of a HUD, but allow it to be split up so that it's not covering the middle of the screen. I just have a couple questions.

- Would it be possible to add an option to switch the Armor count with the Ammo Count? It makes more sense to have both of your health stats on one side, and the ammo on the other. It's weird having your ammo and health next to each other, but then your armor is right next to your total ammo count.

- Would it be possible to add the "Perfected Mugshots" mod and combine it with this mod? There's even a Freedoom guy version that could be added for more options as well. The two mods (this and yours) seem like they work good together. https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/ ... hots-addon

If it's a no to either question, that's totally cool. I just figured there's no harm in asking. Keep up the good work though, and thank you very much for making this mod, it's great.
Last edited by ToxicMasculinity on Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
axredneck
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by axredneck »

ToxicMasculinity wrote:- Would it be possible to add an option to switch the Armor count with the Ammo Count? It makes more sense to have both of your health stats on one side, and the ammo on the other. It's weird having your ammo and health next to each other, but then your armor is right next to your total ammo count.
I want it too.
3saster

Post by 3saster »

ToxicMasculinity wrote: - Would it be possible to add an option to switch the Armor count with the Ammo Count? It makes more sense to have both of your health stats on one side, and the ammo on the other. It's weird having your ammo and health next to each other, but then your armor is right next to your total ammo count.
Literally 5 posts ago NightFright laid out why this is not happening. One of the main goals of this HUD is to keep the look of the vanilla-style HUD and to work with mods that change it; this is impossible to guarantee if we allow switching ammo and armor. It also would add a lot of code bloat. Because this keeps being asked, I've asked NightFright to add to the main post that we will not consider requests about this. At this point I will ignore any further requests regarding this.
ToxicMasculinity wrote: - Would it be possible to add the "Perfected Mugshots" mod and combine it with this mod? There's even a Freedoom guy version that could be added for more options as well. The two mods (this and yours) almost seem like they were made for each other. https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/ ... hots-addon
Because many custom PWADs change the Doomguy's face (Deus Vult II is one I can immediately thing of), this would overwrite those changes if added, and as stated above, a major goal is to keep mod compatibility as much as possible. Even ignoring that, this personally looks like something better suited for Smooth Doom or something. If a user wishes to use the mugshot mod, they are welcome to load it themselves, but it doesn't make sense to me to add it into this mod.
ToxicMasculinity wrote: - Do you have a guide that show's how to make the new HUDs that you're making? There's a ton of HUD's that I would be willing to convert for you as well if I only knew the process. I'm very experienced with Photoshop and making graphics, and I would love to help out if possible.
You might be surprised to find out, but we haven't actually been making a whole lot of new graphics. In order to be compatible with almost all PWADs (existing and future ones), the mugshots are actually formed by cutting the STBAR lump into pieces and placing them onto the screen, so that we don't have to do any sprite editing at all! Even for the compatibility patches for certain wads, most actually just involve some changing how the STBAR lump is split. If you want to see the guts of the project, and/or are interested in contributing, check out our GitHub page!
ToxicMasculinity
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ToxicMasculinity »

Sorry dude, it figures it was mentioned already and of course only about 5 posts ago. My bad for not reading the thread entirely. Understandable as well why it won't be implemented. That said, ID was stupid for setting it up that way because it honestly is an odd setup, but whatever, it is what it is.

Again, understandable why this won't implemented as well. If it was possible to have it accessed only when it's suited, that would be cool, but it isn't. It's not like it's hard to load it separately though, so no biggie.

I actually deleted my question about the guide, because after writing that I realized it was pretty unlikely that you and your team converted each HUD that this works with, and must have coded it to appear the way it does, hence why there's no guide. I've been on a bad feedback streak lately, so I'll try to double think things before posting in the future, as well as read the whole thread. Granted, it would be nice to have the requests that will be ignored added to the first post like you suggested.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Please read the thread before you blindly post. ANY future requests regarding this topic will be ignored.

I have now placed a reminder in OP. Hopefully this will help with avoiding these useless requests which slowly get really bothersome.

And just to be clear: We also won't merge with any other mods. Ever.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 5.0.2 released

Post by NightFright »

Second service release, mostly for polishing level stats even further. You will notice that two fonts were dropped while another one has been added. We think that these four fonts we have now are offering a fair amount of variety while completely maintaining legibility.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure to use GZDoom 4.2.0+ or LZDoom 3.83+. Since official release of LZDoom 3.83 is still pending, we recommend using latest LZDoom devbuild instead.

Changelog v5.0.2 (Sep 16, 2019)
[ALL] Level stats: Available fonts are now "Default", "Console Font", "Memento Mori 2" and "Status Report" (new)
[ALL] Level stats: Interpolation added
[ALL] Level stats: Realignments/scaling adjustments for all font types
[ALL] Level stats: Fixed incorrect stats order in bottom-right corner
[HARMONY] Ammo counters now work correctly

Preview for the different font types (Default, Console Font, Status Report, Memento Mori 2):
Last edited by NightFright on Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
site
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Fullscreen Statusbar Mod [v5.0.2]

Post by site »

So, in an effort to not pester with small stuff, I was attempting to copy the Center Left/Right positioning functionality from Tekish's Levelinfo cause that's the one thing I was missing from that mod in the stats portion of this one. Not really adept at scripting, so I found the Top/Bottom,L/R lines in stats.zs and just tried to c/p and change the lines to read CENTERLEFT/RIGHT etc. and then added the 5th and 6th options at the top in StatsPosition, and then also in menudef. Well, it boots without throwing errors, but if I try to go change to either of those options the game seizes up and crashes. So I'm wondering if center positions are something it can even do (since, from what little I can glean, top/bottomLeft/Right are "defined" already in that I don't see anything like coordinate stuff placing them in any particular spot, the script just seems to know what those mean)? I suck at this, but if it is I can keep poking at it, I don't want to waste too much of y'alls time.
3saster

Post by 3saster »

site wrote:So, in an effort to not pester with small stuff.
Don't worry about small stuff, go ahead and pester us! NightFright and I just got annoyed with the particular request of to switch ammo/armor, because it kept getting asked over and over again. Any request other than that one, feek free to ask about!

Regarding the code, I can see why you are confused. Unlike Tekish's, where all stats are displayed together, these stats are independent of each other, so the system I came up with was to place each element onto a corner, and increment/decrement the counter, so any additional piece is placed above/below the last piece. That's to say, you can't find any particular coordinates because the coordinates are dynamically determined, based on how many stats are active and the particular font (see statfonts.zs). For centered ones, this will need to be changed slightly, to ensure the text is centered regardless of elements. I'll see what I can do.

Note that if you prefer Tekish's stats, you can disable the stats from this mod in the options menu, and use Tekish's instead. It's also given me an idea to consider power-up timers...
site
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by site »

3saster wrote: Note that if you prefer Tekish's stats, you can disable the stats from this mod in the options menu, and use Tekish's instead. It's also given me an idea to consider power-up timers...
Oh I know, I just figured if I could get it to work I wouldn't need to load two mods when one would do everything I wanted :D Thanks for the explanation!
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

The LZDoom devbuilds are here now: https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/lzdoom/
BTW the next version will be 3.83, it's a different versioning scheme.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”