Fullscreen Statusbar Mod [ON HOLD]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Fullscreen Statusbar Mod (formerly Peter's Sexy HUD)

Post by NightFright »

One of your mods or something else in your autoload section overrides the sbarinfo/statusbar graphics from the hud mod, most likely.

Try loading the hud mod last and see what happens. That crosshair mod may cause a conflict, depending on which files it contains. If not, try loading it without any other mod and then add one after another until you find the one that's causing the problem.
Chalibluefin

Post by Chalibluefin »

Thanks. It turns out smooth doom was the problem.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Interesting. That was actually the last candidate on my list. I guess it's changing a lot more internally than I thought. Gotta check later how it's happening, but in general it's impossible to make this mod work with all the other mods that are out there. Especially if they modify the same resources and use the same lumps.

EDIT Mar 22
Smooth Doom introduced a widescreen statusbar in January. This mod only works with standard size bars (320x32), so unfortunately I have to declare this statusbar mod incompatible with Smooth Doom. It may work if you manually remove the STBAR lump from it and load this mod last. This was a bad move from the SD author in general since SD now overrides any custom STBAR with the standard one.
Zaratul

Post by Zaratul »

I discovered this mod today, great stuff! Finally i can play pwad with custom hud graphics, only with separated option. I have 2 suggestions:

-make health, ammo and armor positions customizable, i want health and armor on the left side of the screen and ammo on the right
-available weapons numbers above mugshot should have toggle option
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

It would cause all kinds of problems when not actually splitting but totally rearranging the order of stats. Many custom statusbars won't like that at all, and this project is about maximum compatibility. I don't want to add options that just work with the standard Doom graphics and hardly anything else. I hope that's understandable.

I have just made a big effort in making the spilt bar complete with all stats shown and you want to get rid of them again? Pfff. Gotta think about it.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 4.76 released

Post by NightFright »

I have implemented Zaratul's request for the ARMS display on the split bar which is now optional (but activated by default). Also did some minor tweaking for the menu by keeping level stats options apart from the other status bar settings.

CHANGELOG v4.76 (Apr 29, 2019):
[ALL] Menu: "Level Stats" options now separated from "Optional Settings"
[DOOM/CHEX] Split bar: ARMS numbers can now be turned off (default: on)

The Pirate Doom! patch (pirates_fshfix.wad) has also been updated with the new SBARINFO from v4.76.
XxMiltenXx
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by XxMiltenXx »

Hey, I have 2 requests:

1. For the Level Stats, if you move set them to the left side of the screen, the kills, secrets and items will be aligned to the right, however, the time is aligned to the left, so it kinda looks out of place. I think it would be better if all are aligned to the right.

2. Could you make a setting that allows the health chain to be displayed under the split HUD for Hexen/Heretic? For Heretic the skulls on each side could be added back in, and the chain will come out of their mouth (check the image from a HUD I made myself, but I was using ZScript, not SBARINFO). The other HUD elements (health box etc.) simply have to be connected to the skulls then. I am also willing to contribute if I can, if you want that.
HUD.png
For Hexen I wanted to make a similar fullscreen HUD like mine with the chain, but I never got the chain dimensions right nor the graphics for the stone for each class. So either the stone would be asynchronous to the chain, or it just wouldn't "connect" properly.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

1) Everything displayed in the left corner is aligned to the left. The time display doesn't have a "Time" label, so the time itself is the label. I had experimented with the setting you describe before and it looked worse than it does now. The main issue is that the percentage version is much shorter than the counters, so you cannot place the time numbers always at the same position if you want to go for an alignment to the right, which sucks. I will take a look at it again later this week, anyway.

2) The heads are purely decorational and serve no purpose other than indicating god mode. The split bar is about efficiency, trying to save as much screen space as possible. That chain spanning all over the screen is exactly what should be avoided. If it's meant to be like a second option for the split bar - may be possible, but it will require some time. The general idea probably isn't bad, but with transparency the chain will look like crap when it's supposed to disappear in the skulls. Same problem with the normal statusbar, btw.

In general I feel that adding more and more to this project will needlessly bloat it. The sbarinfo files already look insane and it's hard for me to keep an overview, especially in Hexen. Keeping the code clean and efficient doesn't get easier if I keep adding more bars.
Last edited by NightFright on Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
XxMiltenXx

Post by XxMiltenXx »

2) The ideas with the heads was simply so the chain doesn't look too out of place, so the chain just doesn't float "mid-air" and is "held" by something.
It was meant as an optional thing that can be disabled/enabled, however, that would also add more code.
I do understand that the split hud is all about efficiency, but the chain to me - just like the Doom face - adds a personal touch to those games, so I wouldn't mind them when implemented like shown above.
Yeah, I didn't think of the transparency. This is indeed an issue.

Yeah, I do understand that. Esp. in SBARINFO you'll propably have to add another whole segment just for that. I do understand if this not gets implemented.
ShockwaveS08
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Bug report, regarding this mod and HACX v1.2: The lower-right ammo counters always display as "0", regardless of what is shown in the lower-left corner. As far as I know, this game is the only one I've seen this issue with thus far.

EDIT: Can confirm that this bug occurs on HACX v2.0-r61 as well.

Another bug, regarding Heretic: When in split mode, the Inventory bar overlaps the lower-left elements of the HUD.
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by MFG38 »

Doesn't appear to work in GZDoom 3.7.2... Even though I'm seeing nothing that shouldn't looking at the PK3 in SLADE.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

The HacX issue sounds like it may be port-related. Since HacX is using the same sbarinfo as Doom, no adjustments should be necessary. I bet it works fine with older GZDoom versions.

As for the Heretic issue, I'll take a look one of these days. I wouldn't call it a bug, though. It works fine, just doesn't look nice. :P Anyway, it may depend on your screen resolution and statusbar scaling. I optimized it for 1920x1080 and scale factor 3 IIRC.

EDIT May 25:
- Heretic issue with inventory bar in split mode confirmed. Will resize with hud_scale in next update. Will do the same for all other supported games while I am at it.
- HacX issue with ammo stats confirmed. Apparently this must have been in the mod since the beginning. It seems HacX has its own sbarinfo and I just let it use the one from Doom. Since ammo actors have different names, it could never work. Will be fixed. There is another issue when you don't use the mod which is GZD's fault, though (yellow numbers from Doom).
- No idea how this couldn't work in GZD 3.7.x builds. Will investigate, but cannot promise I'll find what's causing the problem.
3saster

Post by 3saster »

Awesome HUD, exactly what I was looking for! A couple things I'd be interested in though:

1. Could you add an option to display the level stats as found/total? Like "Kills 67/92". It lets me see how much I have left exactly without going to the map screen.
2. Could you add individual toggles to the level stats? I'd like it to display secrets+kills+time, but not items in particular.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

1) That's why I have added the countdowns option. It's much more explicit with showing you the remaining kills. And at the start of each map, you also see the total amount of enemies before your first kill.
I avoided the usual stats provided by GZD because it doesn't look nice with large gaps between the numbers (in case of low monster/item/kill counts, since you still have to reserve space for large numbers with 3, 4 or in extreme (rare) cases even 5 digits). And dynamically rearranging numbers to avoid this issue just with sbarinfo code... I don't see it happening.

2) You are killing me, man. The level stats part of the sbarinfo code has already turned into a bloated mess of interleaved if clauses, and just imagining adding even more conditions anywhere gives me nightmares. We are talking about 7 options: Only kills, only items, only secrets, secrets+items, secrets+kills, items+kills, everything. And then any of these combined with optional time display. If I did all of this in sbarinfo, it would bloat the code totally out of proportion. I guess there are a few options you could omit (e.g. I doubt anyone would just want item stats), but even like that... MAYBE I can make just the items stats optional and leave the rest as-is (also since I believe just having secrets or kills counter, but not both, is kinda needlessly restrictive - you either want to have all the info or you don't want any at all), but I need to see how excessive this would get code-wise.
mdvhimself

Post by mdvhimself »

so it turns out smoothdoom has a needlessly huge stbar file for no reason. you just have to cut the right and left sides to a proper size and there should be no conflict.

also thank you nightfight for updating the project, we love you!

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”