Nash's Gore Mod: Vengeance Edition v1.01 HOTFIX

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Awez

Re: Nash's Gore Mod: Vengeance Edition [TESTERS WANTED!]

Post by Awez »

So far everything is working great so any criticism from me is just aesthetic things.

While I love the new Blood styled splatter sprites for Classic mode, the shading style meshes poorly with the footprints and the blood pools. https://i.imgur.com/9zISZHo.png

As well as that, upon monster gibbing with classic style enabled; the splatters that spawn from that are in the default shaded style rather than the new sprites https://i.imgur.com/pxrCV3T.png

Last for the gibbing, please update the blood fog effect from gibbing. The black shading on parts of it stands out too much and looks kind of ugly. https://i.imgur.com/MYzw1ra.png Also making the fog a bit more transparent and fade quicker would be an improvement.

For the blood spurting effects, it would look better if the floor splat decals that are spawned to be the smaller sized ones or just downsized in general, the spurting seems to over spawn large floor decals which doesn't really look all that great. Maybe use the new classic styled Blood drop sprites for the splatters caused by it?

Though this is a very minor suggestion, having variation in the blood pools would look much nicer. Maybe have it choose a random blood pool sprite out of 5 variations each time or have the maximum growth size have more variation.

Great work, cant wait to see it on release.
affandede

Post by affandede »

Alright, here we go.

I have launched up the rc with smooth doom at first. I think there is a sprite name clash with imp's fireballs, they blink in and out of existence in the air.

On smooth doom again, corpses of zombiemen on lowerable platforms on doom 2's first map stay afloat after you hit the left switch. Couldn't replicate this anywhere else though. Might be something with smooth doom itself.

Not necessarily a bug, but blood cloud effect you get when gibbing is a bit intrusive and not proportional to the stains left on environment, a la Brutal Doom v21.

Lastly, shooting enemies in narrow corridors doesn't seem to stain side walls.

That's it for now, I will keep the bug reports coming in as I find them.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

affandede wrote:On smooth doom again, corpses of zombiemen on lowerable platforms on doom 2's first map stay afloat after you hit the left switch. Couldn't replicate this anywhere else though. Might be something with smooth doom itself.
Looks like it.
7HEPOW
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by 7HEPOW »

BerserkerNoir wrote:Im guessing you played with Colourfull Hell, the particles are from the mod itself, its got its own gore effects.
Nope :) I'm on the 0.9 Beta from the original post. Unless LegenDoom Lite 3 does it's own little gore things (which it doesn't, as far as I understand it), all other mods are gore/particle FX free like Target Spy, DamNums and Sprite Shadow. These 4 are my usual mod combo I have in the autostart. I also use separate config files for specific mods, so things don't screw up everything else. ;)

EDIT: I do run mods solo with doom.wad if something seems off to hunt errors down. ;)
Last edited by 7HEPOW on Wed May 08, 2019 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mgtroyas

Post by mgtroyas »

Ok, after testing the new RC, first of all I agree with this being a solid build, and not messing too much with the previous version, wich I already loved.

I've tested Doom, Heretic and Hexen IWADs (and Castlevania TC). Ancient Aliens to test compatibility with modified palette. Some mods like Supreme Invasion v5, DoomExpanded, Re-Doom, The Wayfarer's thome (Heretic), etc.

I always play with a large combination of small mods to get what I think is a "modernized vanilla" look, haven't detected any incompatibility:
- Doom 1/2 sprite fix project + Brightmaps (D2SPFX19.WAD + D2DEHFIX.DEH + brightmaps_plus.pk3).
- Smooth Animations (pk_anim1.wad)
- Hi-res sounds (pk_doom_sfx_20120224.wad)
- Fluids shader (fluids.pk3)
- Immerse (immerse_v104.pk3)
- Splash on liquids shader (splash.pk3)
- Sprite Shadows (spriteshadow v185.pk3)
- FullScreen HUDs (fullscrn_huds.pk3)
- Caco and Knights blood color correction (cblood.pk3)
- AutoAutoSave (autoautosave-1.2.1.pk3)
- TrooCullers shader (troocullers2.pk3)
- Autochthonic Mode Lite shader (achthonlite.pk3)
- Fancy World (fancyworldv2.pk3)
- Billboarder (billboarder.pk3)

... but while testing the mod with Aeon Deathmach maps plus Supreme Invasion v5 mod I got a weird bug: although Hell Knights had green blood spurs when shot (as expected by using cblood mod) cacodemons left both red and blue blood pools, one near the other. I managed to see a blue pool full size and static, and at the same time a red pool still growing like expected. I took an screenshot of the result on that moment. I haven't been able to make it happen again:

Now focusing on changes, perhaps the detail I don't like so much is the new blood mist when gibbing an enemy. As I've read on another comment, I agree it's too opaque and blocks the view (remembers me of Bolognese Mod, I disliked that effect in it for the same reason) and on top of that, using a blocky texture and making it "expand" makes the effect even more weird (you can see each "pixel" growing and rotating, pretty unnatural). I'd go with a plain texture or particle effect and much more translucent and subtle, or allow to disable it on options, I loved previous version without the "mist".

Also when walking over a corpse the blood pool diminises linearly until dissapearing. It already happended on previous versions. Is it intended? I don't remember if something similar happended on Duke Nukem 3D (to simulate blood being used in bloodsteps) but looks pretty weird to me.

Awez

Post by Awez »

Also when walking over a corpse the blood pool diminises linearly until dissapearing. It already happended on previous versions. Is it intended? I don't remember if something similar happended on Duke Nukem 3D (to simulate blood being used in bloodsteps) but looks pretty weird to me.

The blood pool shrinking was an intentional feature although I agree it looks pretty strange. I'd advocate for an option in the setting to disable the pool shrinking and or change the rate it shrinks at upon walking on.
SMG54321

Post by SMG54321 »

It's beautiful! sm4bb gore has a tendency to lag, not this. the reason I'm writing this, is because i think i fond a bug. sometimes when blood spurts out of corpses, one of the sounds that plays loops for all eternity and it's really annoying. i don't have exact details, but the bug usually happens after the blood fountain effect.
40KN

Post by 40KN »

Hey, thanks for the mod. It's very well-optimized and I really enjoy the ability to customize the magnitude of its effects. Two suggestions I have are:
  • 1. If possible, adding an option to tone down the amount of blood expelled from the player (independent of monster blood amount), as it can get a bit distracting during intense moments.
    2. Allowing blood to pool/dissolve into water when appropriate (a feature seen in the Droplets mod, for example).
Thanks again, appreciate the work.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Experimenting with Actor-based wall splats... not sure I'm convinced this is better, now that it actually works (adjusts to wall angle properly and has full blood colourization support)... hmm...
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Are actors or models more CPU intensive? (models are what blood splats use, right?)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Rowsol wrote:Are actors or models more CPU intensive? (models are what blood splats use, right?)
With the latest in-development version, not really. I've done some optimization to the gore that reduces CPU usage significantly.
Awez

Post by Awez »

Would it be possible to make an option to switch between decals and the actor wall splats depending on preference or performance?
Nash

Post by Nash »

No, mods cannot toggle the built-in engine decals during runtime.
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

I haven't played the test version, but can I suggest you make the default blood impact and particle sprites separate entities so that their spawn number can be toggled independently? I have personally changed that 'round' circle particle sprite to a single pixel (matches doom's aesthetic better) and have increased particle gravity because they seemed too floaty.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

This is goddamn fantastic, thank you Nash. The world salutes you.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”