Nash's Gore Mod: Vengeance Edition v1.01 HOTFIX

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
HorrorMovieRei
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Re: Nash's Gore Mod: Vengeance Edition [v0.9 Beta Release]

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

I've noticed that when playing this with the "champions" mod, the corpse blood pool and the blood splurts don't translate properly.
Nash

Post by Nash »

HorrorMovieGuy wrote:I've noticed that when playing this with the "champions" mod, the corpse blood pool and the blood splurts don't translate properly.
That is because under the hood, Champions does not actually set a proper blood colour property to monsters. This is evident even if playing Champions without nashgore - you'll notice that Champions' monsters leave red blood decals on the walls.

For Champions, only blood actors from hitscans seem to be translated (using an event handler) and that nashgore's stuff even translates at all is just by luck. :P

I'm not sure if I can or will do anything about this, as I am trying to avoid adding mod-specific compatibility into nashgore.

(If I have to start adding compatibility code into nashgore, that'd mean my mod isn't so universal after all... :P)
Gorman Frebmane

Post by Gorman Frebmane »

You don't have to make it a part of nashgore, just more as a patch file that you keep updating more than anything.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I won't be adding any Champion-specific fixes because technically, my mod isn't doing anything wrong. It perfectly reads a monster's BloodColor property and will work as intended if that property was set correctly.

Champions does not set the BloodColor property on any monster. Good news is, there is a pending SetBloodColor feature request for GZDoom so if that function makes it into the engine, Champions (and any other mod that wants to alter BloodColor the correct way) should be updated to use that. Nashgore would just work as intended from there.
WallyTheBoogieBug

Post by WallyTheBoogieBug »

Nash wrote:
WallyTheBoogieBug wrote:Oh, I dont know if this was also mentioned, but crushed corpses (the ones that spawn the gore trails) can't be resurrected by archviles.
Is this not vanilla gameplay behaviour? Dead monsters crushed by doors can never be resurrected because the original monster Actor is already Destroy()'ed and cleared from memory by then.
Thinking about it you are actually correct, when I made that post I was mistakenly thinking in my head that only corpses crushed by crushers couldn't be resurrected, not doors too. You're right, they all can't be resurrected regardless of how they are crushed, I apologize. It can sometimes be hard keeping track of the weird rules behind the arch-vile's resurrection power.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Instructions for quick fix to elevator/block movement bug posted in the first post. Please apply this fix on your own while waiting for the next update, which will take a while to be prepared.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

In GZDoom, by default, crushed dead bodies can't be resurrected, unless the [wiki=Compatibility_options#Crushed_monsters_can_be_resurrected]compatibility flag[/wiki] to allow that is enabled.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nash wrote:Is this not vanilla gameplay behaviour? Dead monsters crushed by doors can never be resurrected because the original monster Actor is already Destroy()'ed and cleared from memory by then.
Sort of. It's certainly vanilla (G)ZDoom gameplay (due to fixing bugged gameplay), but in vanilla Doom, crushed enemy corpses can be brought back as ghosts: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Ghost_monster

Ghost monsters are a right pain in the neck and are really only important in maps that specifically aim to use them.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Great so far, but the only complaint I have is that the wall decals kill my framerate due to the number that get stacked on top of each other. Any tips on how to alleviate this?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Gideon020 wrote:Great so far, but the only complaint I have is that the wall decals kill my framerate due to the number that get stacked on top of each other. Any tips on how to alleviate this?
If you don't mind a little editing yourself, open up nashgore.pk3 in SLADE, navigate to zscript/NashGoreHandler.zc and delete line 109.

I will add an Option to tune this feature in the next update.
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

Just a couple more bug reports: sometimes gibs spawn even if monsters don't enter their xdeath state, and blood spurts are present after killing lost souls (probably for pain elementals, too).
Rip and Tear

Post by Rip and Tear »

I like the random flipping of frozen enemies, but it might be worth implementing a 'blacklist' for enemies that aren't symmetrical enough for the random flipping to look right (for example, the Ettin's club can switch hands when frozen currently).
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

Nash wrote:0.9 beta released. HAVE FUN!
Spoiler:
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

IDK why but sometimes (albeit rarely) I bump into monster corpse as if it was a solid obstacle momentarily, before I continue moving normally, as if the obstacle got instantly removed after I bumped into it. It happened more often with imps for some reason. This is in vanilla Ultimate Doom, no other mods involved.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Sinael wrote:IDK why but sometimes (albeit rarely) I bump into monster corpse as if it was a solid obstacle momentarily, before I continue moving normally, as if the obstacle got instantly removed after I bumped into it. It happened more often with imps for some reason. This is in vanilla Ultimate Doom, no other mods involved.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”