Nash's Gore Mod: Vengeance Edition v1.01 HOTFIX

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BerserkerNoir
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Nash's Gore Mod: Vengeance Edition [TESTERS WANTED!]

Post by BerserkerNoir »

Id like to test it as well!
Ive been looking forward for next release.
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

I'm down for some testing!
Awez

Post by Awez »

Hey Nash, I would be down to be a tester.
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

Hello, I would like to become a tester.
affandede

Post by affandede »

Count me in.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Thank you, that should be enough people for now. I will send a link via PM in a bit.
Saad356

Post by Saad356 »

Excuse me for my impatience
But am I selected for playtesting?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Sorry for the delay, there were some last-minute bugs that I had to fix. I've sent out the PMs already!
7HEPOW
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by 7HEPOW »

I'm most likely not skilled enough for testing as long as it's not visual things and there's one little thing that looks off: Round particles :D
Maybe you can make it, so the mod checks for the gl_particles_style setting in the regular options!? :)
Nash wrote:- Blood no longer blocks movement
YAY! It's fixed! :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

7HEPOW wrote:I'm most likely not skilled enough for testing as long as it's not visual things and there's one little thing that looks off: Round particles :D
Maybe you can make it, so the mod checks for the gl_particles_style setting in the regular options!? :)
Those round sprites have already been replaced with a set of animated blood sprites.
7HEPOW
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by 7HEPOW »

Nice :) Thanks! :)
namsan

Post by namsan »

I really like blood mist effect from gibbed enemies, but It often blocks my view when I gib monsters with melee weapons or shotguns.
Spawning blood mist with reduced opacity instead of normal one when player gibbed monsters who were close to them is a good resolution for this, I think. (but I don't know if it can be implemented)
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

The only real problems I've encountered so far is that blood still spawns on top of liquid terrain, and blood models sometimes spawn on the edges of lifts (I'm not sure if the latter is fixable though). I do have a few things to say about some of the changes, though. The blood models used for the "classic" option look sort of bland. They could use a little more texture or variation in shape/size. The blood sprites look better, but they still look kinda weird (maybe it's just because 2D blood sprites look odd to me in general). I think you can probably get some better results by using the original nashgore's blood sprites. Maybe recolor them and play with the offsets a bit? I'm not a fan of the blood mist, honestly. It looks too sharp, too opaque, and too "sprite-y," if that makes sense. It's also kinda awkward-looking since it just uses really scaled up versions of the standard blood sprites. You could try adjusting the opacity or using larger sprites that look more like mist/fog. One thing I do like is the animated blood sprites; definitely better than circles. :P You've got some great stuff going on here, keep going! I'll post back here if I find anything else.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Thanks for the critique, Pompous. I'll definitely do a pass on all the art assets and see if I can improve them. :)

(one specific note - about the "classic" blood spots - they're meant to emulate Blood's (the game), while I definitely agree that the textures could do with a lot more colour variation, I probably won't add size variation too much because that's how it looks like in Blood)

Blood on liquid effects are still on the to do list. I haven't really gone over this aspect of the mod at all; it's definitely time these got some attention.

The lift thing... yeah this one might be a little difficult to deal with. I don't have any ideas for the time being.
BerserkerNoir
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BerserkerNoir »

7HEPOW wrote:I'm most likely not skilled enough for testing as long as it's not visual things and there's one little thing that looks off: Round particles :D
Im guessing you played with Colourfull Hell, the particles are from the mod itself, its got its own gore effects.

Now My thoughts on the testing.
This testing build is pretty solid, no bugs after a full run on a megawad, the whole thing can be optimized if you running it on a potato, the gore looks better than before, the bloodclouds when gibbing look pretty good and dont hit hard on your performance when gibbing many enemies at once, only noticeable if you are in a slaughter map with overpowered weapons (think of NutCracker from TrailBlazer) and still the FPS drop is minimal and is just for moments.
Im running this with a Core I3, and I have no complaints when it comes to performance.
Small details are as mentioned before, the models spawning in liquids, im not picky when it comes to realism so I dont mind these, neither the ones spawning in the edges of a platform.
The Graphics are minimalistic and thats what I love about this gore mod, it fits the pixelated aesthetic of doom.
Looking forward for the v1.0 of this!
Cheers!

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”