Nash's Gore Mod: Vengeance Edition v1.01 HOTFIX

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kazudra

Re: Nash's Gore Mod: Vengeance Edition v1.0 OFFICIAL RELEASE

Post by Kazudra »

HeemboGlobin wrote:
BerserkerNoir wrote: Check this.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67699
There is a patched Smooth Doom and Nashgore as well, if that works for you.
Hey thanks for the heads up, I've actually seen that before and was planning to give it a go sometime. Kazudra told me how to fix an error with the green blood in Smooth Doom recently and also briefly mentioned the mod so I checked out the project page then. In general though upscaling isn't something I'm typically too keen on. Can't stand texture filtering either, I like my crispy pixels nice and raw lol.
You can delete the "HiRes" folders to convert them back into native res, as for Smooth Doom, all you need is that GORE file (removes blood, replace with Nashgore's blood and enjoy the Gibs from both mods)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Introducing the Slaughtermap Mode! When enabled, it will alter NashGore to be active only when monsters are near you (adjustable distance and amount of active actors), rather than enabling NashGore level-wide. What this means is, slaughtermaps will actually be somewhat playable. I don't guarantee good framerates, but at least you'll have a chance to play NashGore with insane monster counts.

So how does it fair? I will be trying Okuplok (23,217 monsters!!!), with a fairly stacked load order:

Notice that I have also SpriteShadows loaded, which will be brutal because it usually will double the actor count. But thanks to some upstream optimization, that too is playable with slaughtermaps (as you'll see in the next few images).

tl;dr even just these two mods alone - SpriteShadow and NashGore - will be an absolutely killer stress test.

Disclaimer: of course I'm playing with cheats here, specifically god mode and sv_fastweapons 2 and sv_infiniteammo 1. My goal here is to stress test, not to challenge myself to play and conquer this map under normal circumstances.

On average, I am getting 20 - 30 FPS. That is absolutely CRAZY! Under normal circumstances, with SpriteShadow and NashGore alone, it would literally be unplayable. I mean the game would literally just freeze as soon as the battle starts. I had to finally disable SpriteShadows (temporarily) at that room on that last image - it finally dipped to single digit frames soon after I took the screenshot. :^)

Despite that - I finally made it to the end (at some point I re-enabled SpriteShadow, after that room was cleared - it was playable again). I missed 7 monsters, but look at that frame rate - 119 FPS with all monsters dead. With Slaughtermap Mode disabled, this would not be possible - it would drop to single digits, regardless if the monsters are awake, alive or dead. That is because, as I said in the first paragraph - NashGore is unconditionally enabled map-wide. Yes, this also means that with Slaughtermap Mode enabled, actors outside your little "ring" will not received NashGore effects - meaning if you shoot a zombieman with a rocket launcher and it hits outside of the active range, the zombieman won't spawn the NashGore gib effects (it will just XDeath vanilla-style). But I mean come on, in a typical slaughtermap situation, you realistically won't have time to even notice the missing effects - you'd be struggling to stay alive with bad frame rates anyway. :P

Oh and the cherry on top? Slaughtermap Mode is 100% multiplayer-compatible. Tested and working. Each player will act as a radius to determine which monsters to optimize.

So now I can unironically claim that yes, NashGore can handle the measly 10,617 monsters of nuts.wad, because it's capable of handling Okuplok's 23,217 monsters. :P

There is a huge update coming. The mod has received so many new features and bug fixes that the next version might as well be dubbed version 2.0. I will be posting a video update soon to showcase the new goodies coming in the next version. Stay tuned!
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

Is it possible to get universal gibbing in there? I.e. gibbing for monsters that don't have their own gib state - like pinkies and cacos for example.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I think that has been asked several times. How would it be done for monsters without any visible gibbing sprites? Should the monster just disappear while tossing out gib pieces out of thin air?
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

Maybe play some "unspecified gib explosion" animation that is scaled proportionally to the monster size< then toss the gibs?
I think the Universal Gibs mod already does it this way, but it doesen't play nice with your mod when loaded together.
HeemboGlobin

Post by HeemboGlobin »

Kazudra wrote:You can delete the "HiRes" folders to convert them back into native res, as for Smooth Doom, all you need is that GORE file (removes blood, replace with Nashgore's blood and enjoy the Gibs from both mods)
Well I deleted the hires folders and that works as expected, but either due to bugs or a mistake I made I'm seeing a couple issues. Cacos consistently spawn a bit of red nashgore wall blood in addition to their blue blood, and Cacos/Barons/Hellknights all seem to spawn a wall blood texture from Smooth Doom. Red blood seems fine afaik. I can't actually seem to find where that one SD blood texture is even located, it doesn't appear to be in GORE or any other texture folder. I wasn't quite sure what you meant about Smooth Doom, so I tried deleting everything in SPRITES/GORE except for the gibs folder, but I think I probably misunderstood your instructions. As far as I can tell these errors still happen when using the base files without having edited the hires folder or anything else.

https://imgur.com/a/Za3KMzY?

EDIT: I guess these things aren't specific to the modded version, happens with the official version too. Anyone know how to get SD+NGM's gibs working together and NGM's blood replacing SD (and remove partial red blood spawning with cacos)? I tried the fix on the front page but that broke SD's gibbing.
Last edited by HeemboGlobin on Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nash

Re: Nash's Gore Mod: Vengeance Edition v1.01 HOTFIX

Post by Nash »

Don't know why it took so damn long, but better late than never.

v1.01 Hotfix has been released.

This version fixes only 3 essential issues:
- The sprite clashing with Smooth Doom's Imp fireballs
- Crash in multiplayer related to footprints
- Squishy gibs (doors/crushers) work again

Download: https://www.moddb.com/mods/nashs-gore-m ... 101-hotfix
Barry Burton

Post by Barry Burton »

Great stuff as always. I was wondering if you could help me. I'm using Nashgore and Darkdoomz 1.8. When I have the torch switched on sometimes some of the blood splats on the walls flicker. Is this something that could be fixed in Nashgore or Darkdoomz or is it a limitation of GZDoom? If it's a limitation of GZDoom, is it something that could be addressed by Graf and crew or are we just stuck with the flickering? Cheers for any pointers/explanation. :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

That has nothing to do with NashGore, it's a general issue with the way GZDoom's decals are rendered:

viewtopic.php?f=122&t=62449&hilit=decal+flicker#p1078486
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59390

In conclusion, the reason this happens is that decals are currently not using per pixel lighting. Meaning, decals cannot get partial lighting - as soon as 1 tiny dynamic light pixel "touches" a decal, the ENTIRE decal lights up. When that tiny dynamic light pixel moves away from the decal, the entire decal becomes dark again. That manifests in that "flickering" people are describing. As Graf has repeatedly said regarding the matter, this is something that he'd like to see fixed properly (to change it to per pixel decal lighting).
Barry Burton

Post by Barry Burton »

Thanks for the links and the explanation. I really appreciate it. I'll just bide my time and let Graf get to it when they have time and/or the interest.

I noticed another thing. I tried out the new Nashgore with D4V and when I fired the plasma rifle blood spurts would emanate from the gun along with the radioactive symbol used in the the D4V mod. I didn't have that happen with the previous build. Again, I don't know where the clash lies (I'm not very clever!). Just thought I'd let you know in case it's something you'd be interested in.

Anyway, thanks for all your hard work and your great mods - I have quite a few of them on autoload. :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Barry Burton wrote:
I noticed another thing. I tried out the new Nashgore with D4V and when I fired the plasma rifle blood spurts would emanate from the gun along with the radioactive symbol used in the the D4V mod.
Cannot reproduce. I tested with D4V v3.2 and NashGore v1.01 Hotfix. Disabled my autoload so that only those 2 mods are loaded cleanly. Firing the plasma rifle doesn't produce any glitches.
Nash

Post by Nash »

HeemboGlobin wrote:Anyone know how to get SD+NGM's gibs working together and NGM's blood replacing SD (and remove partial red blood spawning with cacos)? I tried the fix on the front page but that broke SD's gibbing.
With an in-development build of NashGore (it's not available anywhere currently) and Smooth Doom, plus the BLUDTYPE patch for Smooth Doom loaded - along with autoloads disabled for a clean testing environment - I am unable to reproduce your problem. The Cacos and Barons bleed their correct blood colours in all situations no matter what. I'm going to assume whatever it is that's causing your problem has already been fixed on NashGore's end.
Kazudra

Post by Kazudra »

Nash wrote:
HeemboGlobin wrote:Anyone know how to get SD+NGM's gibs working together and NGM's blood replacing SD (and remove partial red blood spawning with cacos)? I tried the fix on the front page but that broke SD's gibbing.
With an in-development build of NashGore (it's not available anywhere currently) and Smooth Doom, plus the BLUDTYPE patch for Smooth Doom loaded - along with autoloads disabled for a clean testing environment - I am unable to reproduce your problem. The Cacos and Barons bleed their correct blood colours in all situations no matter what. I'm going to assume whatever it is that's causing your problem has already been fixed on NashGore's end.
It's not NashGore, it's Smooth Doom's Blood system, something gets lost in translation and every Gib with colored blood will make 1 red splash.
Solution; Remove the entire blood system letting NashGore work freely.
Attachments
Gore.txt
Blood-fix for Smooth Doom + NashGore
(6.84 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Nash

Post by Nash »

Sinael wrote:Maybe play some "unspecified gib explosion" animation that is scaled proportionally to the monster size< then toss the gibs?
There are some problems with this approach:

1) You cannot inject new states into existing actors (monsters). So even if I made some generic-looking gib explosion animation sequence, there's no way for me to get the monster to play it. Sure, there might be some trickery where I can assign the "sprite" field directly to overwrite the sprites of the currently-played state on a monster, but this sounds janky as hell.

2) Since injecting new states into existing actors isn't possible, how about simply spawning a new actor on top of the dying actor? The purpose of this new actor would be to simply act as a container for playing the generic gib animation. Well, the problem with this is that it will double the actor count (and therefore affect performance), so this isn't gonna fly. One could in theory make the generic gib actor destroy itself at the end of the animation, but that'd be inconsistent with vanilla behaviour, as gibbed bodies are supposed to stick around indefinitely.

I'm unsure which method Universal Gibs uses, but I am inclined to suspect it's method #2. I don't think I'm willing to accept the performance trade-off.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

I'm not doing anything in UG like described in Sinael's post. The gibbed actor simply disappears. No gib animation is present. Crude, but effective.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”