Weapon Sway - ZScript Edition! v1.0 officially out now

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Weapon Sway - ZScript Edition! v1.0 officially out now

Postby Nash » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:40 am

neoworm wrote:Thanks. I was going midly insane when I tried to find out where is the problem yesterday.

Sorry for the late reply. Can you describe to me what the problem is? I don't seem to see it.

I've tried loading your axe.wad with, and without WeaponSway, and swinging your axe weapon, while frantically moving the mouse. Both look identical to me.
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby doomfiend » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:28 pm

Would it be possible Nash for the sway to bob up and down upon jumping or landing? I seen a similar effect done in the Golden souls 3 teaser trailer and it reminded me of how Bloods weapon bobbing is handled. that would look sick as hell. :O
doomfiend

Postby Rowsol » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:40 am

I don't know if it's been reported but I just loaded this up with Trailblazer and when dual wielding only the left weapon sways.
Rowsol

Postby Nash » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:56 am

doomfiend wrote:Would it be possible Nash for the sway to bob up and down upon jumping or landing?

This falls into the same area of problem that I explained on the first page:

Nash wrote:The problem with the vertical option is, even if I enable it ONLY for the jump inertia, you will start to see glitchy graphics as some weapon sprites literally cut off as soon as it touches the status bar.

Most weapon sprites are too short to make vertical shifting useful. That option is only left in there in case mods want to fully utilize the feature (they would have to provide exceptionally tall sprites to cover the entire range of vertical motion).

Rowsol wrote:I don't know if it's been reported but I just loaded this up with Trailblazer and when dual wielding only the left weapon sways.

I'll have a look, thanks for reporting.
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Batandy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:49 pm

doomfiend wrote:Would it be possible Nash for the sway to bob up and down upon jumping or landing? I seen a similar effect done in the Golden souls 3 teaser trailer and it reminded me of how Bloods weapon bobbing is handled. that would look sick as hell. :O

Just to clarify, Golden Souls 3 uses this weapon sway script. Nash coded the vertical sway, it's simply disabled because, as he said, if you don't provide custom graphics for the sprites, they'll inevitably be cut out as you look down.
Batandy
"If it's not fun, why bother?"

Postby doomfiend » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:02 pm

I knew about the verticle sway function (Like how its done in Starwars Dark forces) I was referring to the weapon sprite as a whole bobbing up and down upon landing and jumping (unless if that is what you're talking about)I would love to use that for some of my mods

EDIT: I wonder if I should withhold my post. my brain isn't working today, I can't say what I mean correctly :s

Edit(x2): Ah I saw your post. Hmmm, I suppose theres no way around that?
doomfiend

Postby neoworm » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:14 am

Nash wrote:Sorry for the late reply. Can you describe to me what the problem is? I don't seem to see it.

I've tried loading your axe.wad with, and without WeaponSway, and swinging your axe weapon, while frantically moving the mouse. Both look identical to me.

I will check again this weekend. I didn't touched DooM for some time and don't remember exactly anymore.

Nash wrote:Most weapon sprites are too short to make vertical shifting useful. That option is only left in there in case mods want to fully utilize the feature (they would have to provide exceptionally tall sprites to cover the entire range of vertical motion).

I started extending all my sprites to work with the vertical shifting. It's nicely immersive if the sprites are large enough.
neoworm

Previous

Return to Graphic/Audio Patches