Roland ED SC-D70 Music Packs

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
gramps

Re: Roland ED SC-D70 Music Packs

Post by gramps »

XxMiltenXx wrote:Heretic has been added, you can grab it here: Heretic Music Packs
  • Heretic does not contain any loop tags as the original music wasn't intended to loop, so just like the MIDIs it will fade out nicely and then start from the beginning.
  • Some music have duplicate notes which would be audible on the SC-D70, while the SC-55 ignores them. Since the duplicate notes don't sound nice IMO, I removed them.
  • Other changes I made were some volume fixes to some tracks, as the music wasn't made with reverberation in mind it would sometimes cause some weird "after-effects". I have fixed that.
  • I have made some crescendo's more smooth as most of Heretic volume changes are very coarse. I only changed it where this coarseness was necessary (e.g. MUS_E2M3)
Duke: Nuclear Winter, one of the Duke Nukem 3D Addons has been added... as it is christmas I think this was a needed addition at this time! You can grab it here: Duke: Nuclear Winter Music Packs
Have a nice Christmas everyone!

I hope you enjoy :)

Thanks for these, definitely getting some Conan the Barbarian vibes off some of these Heretic tracks, heh.

Looking forward to Descent :)
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Right on! Awesome! :)
XxMiltenXx
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by XxMiltenXx »

gramps wrote:Thanks for these, definitely getting some Conan the Barbarian vibes off some of these Heretic tracks, heh.

Looking forward to Descent :)
Glad you like it. I have started with Descent, but I cannot promise you a release date, just stay tuned!

Anyhow, here's another update:
  • Hexen has been added.
  • All music packs have been updated. The noise floor has been reduced, which also makes the FLAC files about 2 to 8 percent better compressable.
  • Doom 2 Track 'Waiting for Romero to play' has been updated, as there was a crackling noise in the previous version right at the beginning.
  • Duke Nukem 3D Track 'Plasma' has a slightly lower volume, as higher volume caused crackling at some points during playback.
  • Added Compatible Source Ports below the download links.
XxMiltenXx

Post by XxMiltenXx »

Well, it's been a while ...

Anyhow, here' some new stuff!
  • Final Doom - TNT: Evilution has been added.
  • Final Doom - The Plutonia Experiment has been added.
  • The unofficial Plutonia MIDI Pack has been added.
  • Fixed a song title typo in the Doom music packs.
I am also working on Descent, but it's only about half-way done. It was a bit trickier than I had anticipated.

Anyway, enjoy!
gramps

Post by gramps »

Good stuff, will have to check these out!

Have been listening to some of the Descent tracks on YouTube and it only really sounds "right" to me on an SC-55. If the SC-D70 can emulate an SC-55, that might be worth trying.
XxMiltenXx

Post by XxMiltenXx »

Well... my usual introduction... it's been a while!

A new update which contains new additions and some fixes.

Additions:
  • Descent
    X-COM: UFO Defense (UFO: Enemy Unknown)
    X-COM: Terror from the Deep
Fixes for Duke Nukem 3D:
  • Fixed crackling on the beginning of 'Invader' & 'Intents'
    Fixed loop times for 'Gutwrencher', 'Invader' and 'The Call of Death'
    Fixed 'Alfred H. (My Family Plot)' - I used a wrong MIDI track. I thought GS stands for Roland GS, but there it was meant for GUS (Gravis Ultrasound)
Changes:
  • Added more reverb to 'Grabbag' of Duke Nukem 3D as I wasn't satisfied with the first version
    In the first music pack for Heretic I removed all double notes, as the Roland SC-55 ignores them. However, the MIDIs are optimized for OPL/Adlib, and there the double notes are audible, so I re-recorded it with the double notes this time, to be more faithful.
    All music packs have been updated to only have lower case file and folder names
Website-changes:
  • slight visual tuning
    "Progress & Changelog" prage has been added
    "How to use" page as been added
PS:
Descent took so long, because it has a similar system like Duke Nukem 3D. This means that there are multiple tracks for different devices. However, due to the conversion from HMP to MIDI this information is lost. I only noticed it, because there were some songs had percussion tracks on channel 10 and 12 (10 is common, 12 isn't), so I took a look into the DOS-Version of Descent and noticed that only some of the MIDI-tracks are played. With taking a look into the HMP files with a HEX-Editor I was able to identify which tracks to keep and which to remove. Even the source port DX1-Rebirth doesn't seem to be aware of this. It'll simply play all music tracks, without discarding the wrong ones, like the DOS-Version does.
gramps wrote:If the SC-D70 can emulate an SC-55, that might be worth trying.
While the SC-D70 has the SC-55 map and I can switch to it, it wouldn't quite sound the same, as some patches are not 100% compatible and other changes, e.g. to the reverb system or how some instruments are handled (e.g. the Tremolo Strings).
So I recorded it with the native SC-D70 (SC-8820) map, even though some songs differ a lot from the SC-55 version due to that, but also due to the fact, that pretty much no one was aware of those double tracks, mentioned before, it will sound different anyhow, even if played back on a proper Roland SC-55 now.

Anyway, enjoy!
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Just a heads-up, it seems the link for Heretic's ogg pack is pointing to the mp3 pack.
XxMiltenXx

Post by XxMiltenXx »

Chris wrote:Just a heads-up, it seems the link for Heretic's ogg pack is pointing to the mp3 pack.
Oh, thanks for the info! It's fixed now.
If it still downloads the MP3 version for someone, you should hit CTRL-F5 while being on the music pack download page, as it still might be cached on your system.

I also fixed some missing dots, closed brackets and the Unofficial Plutonia MIDI pack image wasn't working.

If there are any other issues with the website or the music packs, just let me know. :)
tronotized
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by tronotized »

Hello. I downloaded the FLAC version of 'The Plutonia Experiment MIDI Pack' on your website to use with Crispy Doom. In the past I have never been able to get the audio tracks in the music pack to playback in the Plutonia WAD using Crispy Doom. But yesterday, I finally found a way to get the music to playback using the plutmidi.wad file provided in this .zip file (download link: https://www.jamespaddockmusic.com/doom/ ... midi-pack/) and was wondering if you would like me to give you the .cfg file needed for this to work on Crispy Doom. I also created a .cfg file for the Hexen Music Pack to work on Crispy Hexen if you would like to see that as well.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

tronotized wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:43 pm Hello. I downloaded the FLAC version of 'The Plutonia Experiment MIDI Pack' on your website to use with Crispy Doom. In the past I have never been able to get the audio tracks in the music pack to playback in the Plutonia WAD using Crispy Doom. But yesterday, I finally found a way to get the music to playback using the plutmidi.wad file provided in this .zip file (download link: https://www.jamespaddockmusic.com/doom/ ... midi-pack/) and was wondering if you would like me to give you the .cfg file needed for this to work on Crispy Doom. I also created a .cfg file for the Hexen Music Pack to work on Crispy Hexen if you would like to see that as well.
I would consider this post to be a necrobump, but... I'm curious, shouldn't Crispy Doom handle the .wad as a "-file" command parameter?
tronotized

Post by tronotized »

Sorry for the late reply, but I was only able to get the track on the first map of plutmidi.wad to play without Crispy Doom crashing. I have no idea why the first map is fine but the other maps crash Crispy Doom when attempting to loop the audio track. Would you have any idea why the first map loops the track without crashing Crispy Doom but the other maps do?
XxMiltenXx

Post by XxMiltenXx »

Hey, sorry for my even later reply, completely missed your post from october...

Anyhow, I investigated the issue and the FLAC version crashes as well. The OGG version on the other hand works fine, so I suspect a bug with Crispy Doom or the library they're using for playing back the files. I remember a previous issue with looping music with OGG or FLAC in Crispy or Chocolate Doom that was resolved with an update. But there it only "stuttered" when looping. Maybe it's an regression of some sort or the issue was never truly fixed.
tronotized wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:43 pm [...]and was wondering if you would like me to give you the .cfg file needed for this to work on Crispy Doom.[...]
Can you provide the CFG please? Then I can update the instructions on the website accordingly and also update it, as the information is outdated... regarding the CFG for Hexen. Shouldn't this one for Chocolate Doom work? https://github.com/chocolate-doom/music-packs
Hellser wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:40 pm I would consider this post to be a necrobump, but... I'm curious, shouldn't Crispy Doom handle the .wad as a "-file" command parameter?
This is not the case unfortunately. Chocolate Doom and Crispy doom have some unusual ways of loading music packs.
tronotized

Post by tronotized »

Thanks for the reply! The Hexen cfg file provided in the github link works totally fine, so I have no idea why I wrote that in my post. Apologies! As for the plutmidi music pack, I did some testing. I downloaded the OGG version and played until the second map, and it worked! I will attach the cfg file as a .txt file to this reply so you can download it and use it. I wondered if the flac version would also break at the second map in Doom 2 when using the plutmidi music tracks, so I tested it out and it broke after trying to loop the song in the second map. Then I thought, "Wait, will the Doom 2 Roland SC-55 FLAC music pack work?" so I tested it out. It didn't crash when trying to loop the track, which is weird to me.
Attachments
plutmidi-music.txt
(5 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Last edited by tronotized on Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XxMiltenXx

Post by XxMiltenXx »

Thanks for the CFG!

And I made some further tests regarding the issue. It seems to be related to what the Loop is set to. If I change the LOOP_END for d_runnin, then it will also crash, same goes for songs from the SC-55 music packs. But only when they are FLACs and with specific values.
I created a bug report for Crispy Doom here: https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/cris ... ssues/1132

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”