Mod replacing Doom 2 OG textures with Duke Nukem 3D

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
PixelWAD

Mod replacing Doom 2 OG textures with Duke Nukem 3D

Post by PixelWAD »

The last few days I've been working on a small, but fun mod replacing most of the stock Doom 2 textures. Many textures are repeating, but it does give it somewhat a more Dukeish look that works very well combined with Duke Nukem 3D mod.
Screenshot_Doom_20180729_205410.jpg
Screenshot_Doom_20180729_205438.jpg
Screenshot_Doom_20180729_205613.jpg
PixelWAD

Re: Mod replacing Doom 2 OG textures with Duke Nukem 3D

Post by PixelWAD »

More screens
Screenshot_Doom_20180729_205210.jpg
Screenshot_Doom_20180729_205227.jpg
Screenshot_Doom_20180729_205237.jpg
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

More 2
Screenshot_Doom_20180729_205157.jpg
DOWNLOAD - https://www10.zippyshare.com/v/qwMXQy9l/file.html

This is most likely still Work In Progress, so expect future upgrades, but no further dates whatsoever.
In the screenshots you can also see me using Duke 3D models converted to Voxels
Nailz the Ravager
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Nailz the Ravager »

Awesome thing, dude. You can do something like this, but with Redneck Rampage textures?
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

Definitely on my upcoming projects list. I just need to get a 4k resolution monitor, when doing any kind of modding I always end up with too many windows open and switching between all of them wastes quite decent amount of time :P
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

I would appreciate any kind of feedback. This thread has over 100 views and only one reply so far.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

While I found it made a nice change to regular Doom 2 levels, the best use for these would surely be for levels created for it? Then again I haven't yet tried it with DN3D monsters as well.
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

THANK YOU!! :D I always wanted to have a Duke Nukem texture replace for doom 1 & 2, this goes very well with Duke Nukem 3D Weapons & Aliens v6 mod, you feel like you are playing some random map from the Megaton Edition. Amazing job again!
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

PixelWAD wrote:I would appreciate any kind of feedback. This thread has over 100 views and only one reply so far.
If you would provide an alternate upload site for your file, such as Mediafire.com or dropbox.com, you would have more responses.

Having to install such nonsense as Zippyshare's MessengerTime Download negates any will to download your file.
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

I have had a nice reply prepared, just wanted to take some screenshots, and then for the first time ever gzdoom froze my computer, lol...

I believe this is the mod I was using when testing my own texture mod - https://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-nukem-3 ... -aliens-v6
Note that the voxel models in my screenshots are not present here, this is my own separate project, but most likely I would need someone who got a grip on Doom scripting.

I have made this mod by having gzdoom opened with my own Duke Nukem 3D textures resource pack. I have used SLADE to extract textures to PNG from the ART file, but for some reason few ART files could not be opened - it's the very same problem with Realm667 textures, some are missing, for example green grass with DUKE NUKEM BAD ASS text are missing. It's not the only one, but the first one that comes to my mind. It was used at Duke Nukem Boss level stadion. I wanted to remake it, then I noticed that indeed some textures are missing.. They are all visible in Mapster32. I could probably just screenshot them and copy, maybe I'll do that at some point.

So while having gzdoombuilder opened with Doom 2 maps, I was looking for Duke textures that somewhat fit and could become more or less universal to the theme of the map.
It is mostly city themed mod. I always found a lack of city-like maps to play Doom 2 with Duke 3D mod. So I had to do my own, and Doom is simple enough to get a pretty decent effect. I'm happy with my quick work so far. Gave me a spark to keep modding.

As for zippyshare, I never had any problems with it - it's pretty straightforward, download and you're done? Maybe it does look vastly different without any kind of adblock. I wanted to add it as attachment but it did not work. I never had to install anything and it works just fine even on mobile.

Exeor, glad you liked it!

@@ DOWNLOAD AT DROPBOX @@
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7e640agfq9ft ... d.zip?dl=0
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

I think the water's gotten hit with some palette issues in the process, worth taking a look at.
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

I remember water being replaced as one of the first textures, maybe I have uploaded a wrong file, but it is also possible that it is in the wrong folder. i did not know about 'flats' when i started. everything i did at the beginning was in the 'textures' folder, it could be that i missed some.

mod is fully 'open source' and anyone can do whatever they want, just make sure to link your new version here so we all can enjoy it!

i might go back to it at some point, trying to solve some other issues with 3D models, this is entirely 'playable' at this moment.
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

https://youtu.be/lTvbY40Zavg

I have made a new video playing this mod with voxel weapons in vr. I hope you enjoy it
CD-Roman

Post by CD-Roman »

Really, these textures are game-changer! With "mirrored" mutator, old levels, now are new!

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=60464
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

This is really pretty neat. It changes the feel of the game significantly.

There are some improvements that could be made.

Suggestions:
Add variety to the textures that replace different ones in Doom but which all look the same in this mod. e.g. in Doom there are the 4 similar marble textures (MARBLE1, MARBLE2, MARBLE3 and MARBLOD1). In this mod, they are all identical (well, except for MARBLE3, which is missing). I realise that this is probably as a result of Duke not having enough suitable textures but a bit of manual editing could add variety to them in a way that would make them fitting replacements for the Doom textures but still keep the Duke feel. Apart from anything else, people use these slight variations to hint at locations for secret doors etc. (Also, I just noticed that MARBGRAY does not tie in with the MARBLE* textures at all.) These are just two very rough and ready examples of the kind of thing that could be done:

Image Image

Another good example are the various TEKGREN textures. That first corridor in Doom2 looks very plain compared to what it does in the original game.

A second thing might be good is a bit more editing to make the textures more likely to smoothly integrate with how they have been used in Doom maps. e.g. Using the Duke fence with the big thick fence posts for MIDGRATE and MIDBARS3 makes sense, but the way that texture looks, and knowing how the texture has been used in many levels, that big post at one end of the texture is going to look weird in many cases. Imagine a long fence made up of many shorter lines with MIDGRATE on them where the texture hasn't been offset - or has been in a way that looks fine with the original texture but in your mod might have loads of fence posts and many of them are likely to be cut in half where lines join or maybe just be missing instead.

Where have al the fenceposts gone? Also, not obvious in that image, it is very common for the front and back of a line like this to be aligned differently. So, if the player is on one side looking at the fence, he can see the post, if he goes to the other, the post has moved or vanished. Or the fence could just be hanging with no post to support it. It would probably be more universally compatible to edit off the post entirely but you might not want to do that because it changes the nature of the texture.

Another example is your SHAWN2 replacement. SHAWN2 is used as a general "easy to use and align generic shiny metal" texture on the edges of doors, water-tanks, techy areas and so on. Part of the reason for this is that it doesn't have an obvious repeating pattern across the way. Your replacement does; and it's not clean and shiny, but rusty, rough and corrugated. It's not going to fit in well with many uses of the original texture.

Image versus Image

:shock:

So, the short version of this is that I think the textures would benefit from a bit more manual editing and rethinking of texture choices to make them better integrate with existing Doom architecture.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”