[Palette] Red Abyss for PC/PSX + Improved PSX Assets

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

[Palette] Red Abyss for PC/PSX + Improved PSX Assets

Post by Pixel Eater »

I finally figured out how to trick Photoshop into performing a technique I was wanting back when I made CRT palettes. It fixes the imbalance between red and the other colours and gives it a proper contrast. This is going to be used as support for a translucency shader but looks pretty cool for regular gameplay anyways (as it should).

When you compare to DooM's colourmap, Red Abyss looks like it's red ramps(?) are a higher colour depth. They aren't 8-)
Colourmaps.png
1.1 Update: It's super transparent now and prevents dark browns from turning olive.

This extra file contains a selection of DooM textures and sprites reconditioned for the PSX palette:
Adjusted PSX Graphics

The actual palettes follow:
Attachments
RedAbyssPSX.wad
(19.04 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
RedAbyss1.1.wad
(19.04 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
Last edited by Pixel Eater on Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thedarkcube

Re: [Palette] Red Abyss

Post by Thedarkcube »

Do you plan on doing the same correction to other cotrast settings? Not that I know if there are others :p
Pixel Eater

Re: [Palette] Red Abyss

Post by Pixel Eater »

I haven't noticed an issue with the dark end of other colour ranges yet. With red, the darkest value was at 26% brightness! It's now at 12% and any higher or lower would start to look inappropriate with the surrounding artwork. But if something is pointed out I'll certainly investigate it.
Pixel Eater

Re: [Palette] Red Abyss v1.1 + PSX edition

Post by Pixel Eater »

Made a simple adjustment to ensure colours won't change their hue (to olive mostly) and Included an altered PSX palette.
I'm actually curious about the PSX palette's back-story as it seems like an attempt to tame it's highlights for brighter screens (LCDs?). If so, who made the adjustment? If it was ID Software then should it be considered an official CRT emulation palette? Or maybe it was just a system requirement/limitation of the Playstation... :ugeek:
Thedarkcube

Post by Thedarkcube »

Pixel Eater wrote:Made a simple adjustment to ensure colours won't change their hue (to olive mostly) and Included an altered PSX palette.
I'm actually curious about the PSX palette's back-story as it seems like an attempt to tame it's highlights for brighter screens (LCDs?). If so, who made the adjustment? If it was ID Software then should it be considered an official CRT emulation palette? Or maybe it was just a system requirement/limitation of the Playstation... :ugeek:
I'm pretty sure it was a limitation because if you take a look at the old psx games you're gonna notice that most of them were dark and had a weird contrast.even though normally it wasn't noticeable since people mostly focused on the gameplay
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Ahh, if I'd ever played one I guess I would have noticed a trend. That explains why the monster projectiles became so dark in the pixels where they should have been bright!
Pixel Eater

Re: [Palette] Red Abyss for PC/PSX + Improved PSX Assets

Post by Pixel Eater »

Added a link to download corrected assets that were never modified to work with the PSX release's palette change. Most noticeable were the Imp's fireballs becoming dark centered but many others were left unchanged as well.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”