[Blade of Agony] Personal Addon & Confiscated Weapons!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ZikShadow

[Blade of Agony] Personal Addon & Confiscated Weapons!

Post by ZikShadow »

DESCRIPTION:

PERSONAL ADDON

I tend to have a preference when it comes to various sounds, models, or sprites when playing games/mods. As a result, it's usually inevitable that I end up modifying the lot until they fit with the things I like. If the thing's possible to be modded, anyways. Stuff like highres SFX with punchier sounding guns, different sprites, or just about any particular nitpick that I could fix directly on my end. And so, this personal addon of mine was made as an answer to how I preferred BoA to look and sound.

Interestingly, while I've only really done the sprites bit a few weeks before BoA's final chapter release got through, the soundpack in particular has been around since 2016, the year I found Wildweasel's original Nazis! mod. Since BoA shares pretty much 100% of the sound assets from Nazis!, all my modifications from that mod transitioned smoothly without a hitch. I have since added new things or modified some stuff, so it's not quite exactly the 2016 version still, but I'd say a good chunk of it is still there.

Now, I'm sure you're curious what does this Personal Addon of mine do primarily. Well, allow me to post a shortened list of what can be expected of this mod:
Spoiler:

CONFISCATED WEAPONS!

Something that comes up in my mind every now and then when playing BoA is the lack of certain mainstay WW2 weapons. Apparently, this was in the minds of several others too, and I had wondered if it is possible to reintegrate Nazis! weapons back to BoA somehow. I eventually managed it, along with some more. That's really all I've got to say about this lil' thing. There's more history in the weapons code themselves, if you're interested in that. You'll find these weapons along with their ammunition in specially marked crates that now replace the barrels that'd normally give you items and not blow up in your face. It's all random chance, they're deliberately made rare, the new weapons are prioritized over the old ones in selection, and you lose them at the end of a mission like the rest of your vanilla equipment, so use 'em if you find 'em! Don't be shy!

I do recommend a mod like Use-to-Pickup in case you don't want to accidentally pick up stuff you don't want. Just remember to turn it off in Chapter 3 every now and then to get past stuff like the soulgates.

I've implemented about 50 brand new weapons in this addon. A good chunk of which are reimplementations of Nazis! weapons (with some modifications on my part, see PersAdd for the whys), while many others are completely different and unique to this particular mod. Pretty much all of them uses Goldsource modelshots to preserve some kind of warped idea of consistent artstyle, and the reason I stopped at 50 is because I couldn't find more models (with proper credits) to modelshot, so please don't ask me to add more.

If you're asking why some of them reload particularly quickly, it's because I'm keeping with base BoA's regular reload speeds so they all match instead of the custom weapons suddenly taking half a minute to reload compared to the vanilla ones. Also helps hide the fact that I'm being VERY economical with the sprite frames, no smoothy blurry mcflurry stuff here, all snappy sharpy edgy.

But anyways, the big list, I'm sure you're wondering what I got here.
The weapons in ConfisWeaps are as follows:
Spoiler:
Regarding installation, if you want a simple & easy to install version of PersAdd & ConfisWeaps, use the second link. All you have to do is to drop everything inside into the same folder as BoA's launcher, that's it. The first link is for advanced users who'd use a different launcher like ZDL or something and could use things like the Defaulter to play Doom IWAD with BoA as a gameplay mod of sorts.

DOWNLOAD:

Unleash Death Incarnate!
Launcher-compat Version

SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler:

VIDEOS:
Spoiler:

CREDITS:

Due to how large the credits size is, I've placed it all in the README that is inside the archive.
I'm certain I got most of them, though there are probably some stuff I could miss. Feel free to remind me of those ones.
Last edited by ZikShadow on Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 10 times in total.
ZikShadow

Re: [Blade of Agony] Personal Addon & Confiscated Weapons!

Post by ZikShadow »

Decided to completely overwrite the original stuff here, now that I've basically updated both it and added a new mod on top.
Finally done with PersAdd and ConfisWeaps, after about a month of dilly dallying around.
Not sure if this should be moved, now that it's not quite exactly just a graphics/audio patch.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

glad its being overhauled! hopefully its own stand alone thing after like what happened the day that this mod was posted
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

ZikShadow wrote:Not sure if this should be moved, now that it's not quite exactly just a graphics/audio patch.
I'll go ahead and put it in Gameplay Mods for you, then.
undeadmonk354

Post by undeadmonk354 »

I'm glad it's finally overhauled! Is there also a custom enemy addon with it's own custom and unique enemies?
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Cool idea! Would love to see if you're able to add more gear/equipment for the player to use as well. I like the idea of having some randomness for what you can find out in the field to help you finish your missions.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

wildweasel wrote:
ZikShadow wrote:Not sure if this should be moved, now that it's not quite exactly just a graphics/audio patch.
I'll go ahead and put it in Gameplay Mods for you, then.
Many thanks.
chronoteeth wrote:glad its being overhauled! hopefully its own stand alone thing after like what happened the day that this mod was posted
I can't really turn this into a standalone thing, since it relies on a lot of BoA's stuff. Well, I guess I could make a Nazis! expansion instead, but I can't be bothered to deal with the weapon swap system there at the moment. You could atleast run Doom maps with all this if you got BoA loaded as a Doom PWAD instead of it's own IWAD and then load in the defaulter addon after. All the enemies, weapons, and equipment's properly replaced, so it's like a gameplay mod of sorts.
undeadmonk354 wrote:I'm glad it's finally overhauled! Is there also a custom enemy addon with it's own custom and unique enemies?
No, I'm unfortunately not that good. It's all just new sprites, sounds, and guns.
-Ghost- wrote:Cool idea! Would love to see if you're able to add more gear/equipment for the player to use as well. I like the idea of having some randomness for what you can find out in the field to help you finish your missions.
I'm not really sure about what to add inventory items wise. A lot of them have already been filled in base BoA from bandages, field kits, zerk packs, to mines. I suppose I could maybe add stuff like binoculars, but you usually get scoped rifles faster anyways, so that's out of the window too. Any ideas?
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Hmm, yeah a lot of it is covered. Maybe different sized backpacks/bandoliers etc. to let you carry more ammo in different amounts? Binoculars could be useful, maybe some sort of scuba gear, some kind of kit to patch up armor a bit. Not sure if there is something for this, but an item to restore and boost maximum stamina would be helpful. Even just more visual variety would be cool, like a few different sprites for medical/armor pickups and ammo.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Good addon i got a couple small you should have the waffen ss drop the stg44 and the paratroopers drop the fg42 and have have the play certain equipment hence stealth missions start with the welrod and the de lisle.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

armymen12002003 wrote:Good addon i got a couple small you should have the waffen ss drop the stg44 and the paratroopers drop the fg42 and have have the play certain equipment hence stealth missions start with the welrod and the de lisle.
I'm trying to avoid tampering with as much stuff as possible, especially with something as complicated as enemies that could change in the next update. Literally the only things that connects ConfisWeaps and BoA's stuff are the crates themselves that directly replace the goodie barrels along with the script that also removes ConfisWeaps stuff when you move to Astrostein Part 2.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Did a quick preliminary update so things won't crash immediately the moment you run PersAdd and ConfisWeaps with BoA3.1, along with some adjustments to match new code. Not much else is done.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Would it be possible to make a gameplay mod of this for Doom 2 that works with vanilla enemies and custom maps?
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

It's a bit of a tricky question to answer. It can be somewhat done, though giving it on a silver platter is not possible. This mod relies on BoA's systems, systems that can't be so easily isolated. I've also already mentioned why I can't be bothered making an expansion to Nazis!, that will also probably need modification if you want to run it without the custom enemies.

You can already run BoA as a gameplay mod of sorts by using a Doom launcher like ZDL and running its IPK3 as a PWAD/external file with Doom as the IWAD. Loading map01 or E1M1 through the Doom launcher then would open up vanilla maps instead of BoA's. Loading in the defaulter after that would replace those Doom actors with ones from BoA & ConfisWeaps, so you could get proper equipment and fight the right enemies. Stuff in whatever custom map or monster packs you want on top (that doesn't have heavy customization themselves), and it'll work just fine.

Of course, if you want vanilla Doom enemies, you're going to need to modify the defaulter wad to not include the enemy replacers. Easy enough if you got SLADE or any other wad modifying software, crack open the DECORATE and then remove everything from that replaces zombieman all the way to spider masterminds. Provided nothing else is tampered, you should be able to play Doom maps with BoA stuff and vanilla enemies exclusively.

For evidence, here's me playing Tarnsman's Projectile Hell with Touhou Doom enemies (reskinned a bit to fit the theme). It's very doable.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... -01-76.mp4
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... -05-90.mp4
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

ZikShadow wrote:Did a quick preliminary update so things won't crash immediately the moment you run PersAdd and ConfisWeaps with BoA3.1, along with some adjustments to match new code. Not much else is done.
Very cool stuff man. Are you interested in adjusting this to work with our official launcher and addon system? That way we would include it in our official next release :)
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Tormentor667 wrote:Very cool stuff man. Are you interested in adjusting this to work with our official launcher and addon system? That way we would include it in our official next release :)
I'll pass on the offer. I don't really use the launcher myself, and well, can't really be passionate about something I've got no interest in.
In any case, I don't think these addons are "official release" worthy. I'd rather not enlarge what's already a pretty large download with my less-than-stellar looking stuff.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”