Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated February 3, 2024]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SiFi270

Re: Simple UI Add-ons [Updated June 30, 2018]

Post by SiFi270 »

Sorry to double post, but I just learned something shocking. It turns out Doom 64 Retribution is so scary that parts of Ammoinfo will run away.

Right now the video's stuck at 95% processing but hopefully it'll work by the time you read this post.

On the subject of D64R, would you mind adding its version of the light-amp goggles to the powerups that Levelinfo has a timer for?
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

That is an interesting bug to say the least. Could you do me a favor and copy/paste all of the AmmoInfo variables from your ini file? They all have the "ai_" prefix. This looks like some weird behavior related to custom positioning, but I can't seem to immediately duplicate it.

I will also add the custom power up timers for Doom 64 Retribution in the next update.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

ai_y=0
ai_x=0
ai_position=6
ai_opacity=100
ai_abbreviate=0
ai_visible=true
ai_showcolor=true
ai_aligny=false
ai_alignx=false
ai_alignvalue=true

I did try changing a few things at random when I first noticed, but I don't think it occurred to me at the time to try restarting the level after making those changes :oops:
Tekish

Re: Simple UI Add-ons [Updated July 20, 2018]

Post by Tekish »

This should now be fixed. Thanks for your help. The light goggles timer will also display properly in the latest version of LevelInfo.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Regarding LevelInfo: I noticed with Heretic and Hexen that powerup timers fail to display when playing a custom player class, despite the powerups themselves being untouched.
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

That's because LevelInfo/AmmoInfo generally use player class names to identify the game/mod you're playing. If that name is not recognized, it defaults to the standard doom power-up timers. Any additional player classes need to be added for them to function properly.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

In that case, wouldn't it be better to make it truly universal by enabling all timers for all IWADs? GZDoom is already agnostic in the way that every actor from each game works in all others as long as sprites are provided. Beyond that, there are a bunch of extra powerups unique to GZDoom, which have been used in some mods, such as DoubleFireRate, TimeFreeze, Drain, Fear/Fright, etc. and it would feel more consistent if LevelInfo could account for them too. No stone left unturned basically :)
Tekish

Re: Simple UI Add-ons [Updated July 21, 2018]

Post by Tekish »

GZDoom's (more specifically ACS') limitations have caused me to become a bit wary when adding things like this because there are a bunch of ways to negatively impact performance when this engine is stressed. Granted, in this case I might have gone a bit overboard, but when a single character in a HudMessage can eat 5-10 FPS on its own, I tend to err on the side of caution.

To that end, I've changed the default behavior of LevelInfo to include power-ups from Heretic, Hexen, and Strife. As for the other power-ups you've mentioned, I'm not against adding them, but I haven't noticed them in the mods I play. If you have any examples, those could be useful. I will keep the existing detection for all mods though, as even those that share the same power-ups often use incompatible naming conventions.
eharper256

Re: Simple UI Add-ons [Updated July 21, 2018]

Post by eharper256 »

Just want to add my thanks to you for the combined version of this; been using it since May, and its absolutely brilliant. Interestingly, the crosshair happily identifies modded monsters as well, though some end up with strange names (probably due to the author not thinking that data would be queried, lol).
Tekish

Re: Simple UI Add-ons [Updated September 26, 2018]

Post by Tekish »

LevelInfo has been updated, finally bringing parity to mod compatibility between it and AmmoInfo. The missing power-up timers from Brutal Doom, Flakes Doom, and Project Brutality have been added. In the future, any mod additions will be shared among the two add-ons.
StroggVorbis

Re: Simple UI Add-ons [Updated November 19, 2018]

Post by StroggVorbis »

One of the modules doesn't play nice with Xaser's Parkour due to conflict with script numbers 891 and 892. If Zandronum compability is not a concern I suggest switching to named scripts to avoid this problem altogether in the future, as who knows what other maps or mods tend to use the same script numbers.
Tekish

Re: Simple UI Add-ons [Updated November 21, 2018]

Post by Tekish »

There must be a conflict with something else, as none of these add-ons use script numbers. I double checked the compatibility with Parkour and found no issues related to that. I did, however, make a small change to the behavior of AmmoInfo. It will now always show the regular Doom ammo types when it doesn't recognize what it's being used with (so it will work out of the box with things like Parkour, Smooth Doom, etc).
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

I just checked again, but strangely, all the addons on their own get along fine with Parkour, but if I load the all-in-one package instead, the issues start to manifest. Any ideas? :?

Also, hate to be that guy, but it would be awesome if you could ditch ACS and rewrite everything in ZScript. Because everytime an update gets rolled out, all my savegames will break if I don't stick to the older version.

Edit: The bug also happens if you load the AmmoInfo module together with either CrosshairHP or LevelInfo.
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

I checked Parkour and the add-ons with every possible combination and everything seems to work fine. Are you 100% sure you have nothing else in your autoload? What specific error(s) are you getting?

As for ZScript, that's off the table for now. I don't have the time or desire to move everything over, and I'm still looking to maintain a degree of Zandronum compatibility. I also don't really plan on adding much more to these add-ons, so barring specific requests, there will be few updates from here on out.
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

Could you add the 4-character abbreviation option from ammoinfo to levelinfo as well?

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”