Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated February 3, 2024]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Simple UI Add-ons [Ammo List, Crosshair HP, Level Info]

Post by StroggVorbis »

Any plans for LevelInfo & AmmoInfo to support Heretic, Hexen and Strife in the future?
Tekish

Re: Simple UI Add-ons [+Heretic, Hexen, Strafe]

Post by Tekish »

I went ahead and added support for those 3 games in the latest versions of AmmoInfo and LevelInfo.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Wow, that was fast, thank you for the quick response! :)
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I'd really appreciate it if in addition to Heretic it also supported Sgt. Shivers' Shazam addon, which uses the same kinds of ammo and only changes the weapon actors for cosmetic reasons.
Tekish

Re: Simple UI Add-ons [+Heretic, Hexen, Strife]

Post by Tekish »

Added. I didn't have time to test it, but it should work. Let me know if it doesn't.
DevilBlackDeath

Post by DevilBlackDeath »

Hello,

Coming back with the sizing suggestion for crosshair hp ^^ Couldn't you use integer scaling to avoid distortion ? Of course scaling with floats will be problematic for pixel perfect texture/fonts... But if you scale it by 2.0, 3.0... It shouldn't cause any issue, and whatever rick you use to avoid distortion should be intact ;)

Other than that pretty amazing stuff. Also, purely from a technical standpoint (as I'd guess it would take a LOT of effort), could the ammo list addon be modified to be "universal" ?

Congrats on this, it's been in my global autoload for a few days and I don't plan on removing it :D
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

Thanks, I'm glad you find it useful.

Regarding your suggestions; they both seem to require ZScript, and I've been hesitant to use it because these add-ons function with Zandronum (which currently doesn't support ZScript).

Integer scaling without distortion depends on the resolution. The math to determine valid sizing isn't reproducible in ACS, so it needs to come from the engine itself, and as far as I can tell the only way to get that information is with ZScript. I released an update to CrosshairHP to work around this. I manually resized all of the graphics and implemented an option to double the size without relying on the engine's scaling. It's an inelegant solution to the problem, but it works.

Universal ammo recognition is a bit more problematic. It's impossible to automatically determine the context in which mods use ammunition, so a universal solution would still require compatibility tweaks to remove excess or unused ammo types, ammo based on player classes, or add others that simply aren't easily detectable. It's because of this that even if I were open to using ZScript, I probably wouldn't implement a universal solution because it wouldn't truly be universal.
DevilBlackDeath

Post by DevilBlackDeath »

Tekish wrote:Thanks, I'm glad you find it useful.

Regarding your suggestions; they both seem to require ZScript, and I've been hesitant to use it because these add-ons function with Zandronum (which currently doesn't support ZScript).

Integer scaling without distortion depends on the resolution. The math to determine valid sizing isn't reproducible in ACS, so it needs to come from the engine itself, and as far as I can tell the only way to get that information is with ZScript. I released an update to CrosshairHP to work around this. I manually resized all of the graphics and implemented an option to double the size without relying on the engine's scaling. It's an inelegant solution to the problem, but it works.

Universal ammo recognition is a bit more problematic. It's impossible to automatically determine the context in which mods use ammunition, so a universal solution would still require compatibility tweaks to remove excess or unused ammo types, ammo based on player classes, or add others that simply aren't easily detectable. It's because of this that even if I were open to using ZScript, I probably wouldn't implement a universal solution because it wouldn't truly be universal.
Well thanks for going through the trouble of making a 2x option available :D That will really help with some mods ^^ (although I just completed a run of D4T + TUTNT Supportive Edition, and the original size was just perfect and fitting for that purpose ;) )

Yeah I figured that much for AmmoInfo =/ I would make a ZScript version if I had any skill with it. I'm a programmer but I still have to touch ZScript (although I plan to take a look at it once I'm done with fixing War Against the Doomed)
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

That's exactly what was missing in Heretic statusbar! AmmoInfo and LevelInfo do a great job filling empty space with useful information. Thanks for making these.

One suggestion: (optional) aligning by "/"? You can see how it looks at the screenshot above.
Spoiler: example format function
Tekish

Re: Simple UI Add-ons [Updated June 27, 2018]

Post by Tekish »

Thanks. I added a value alignment option in the latest versions of AmmoInfo and LevelInfo that should do what you're looking for.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I'm sorry, can I have a link to the previous version of levelinfo? I had a game in progress with it, but after replacing it with the new one I can't load my save any more because the ACS is different.
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

Here you go. Let me know once you've got it because it's an expiring link.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I got it, but it doesn't seem to be the right one. My save's looking for a version with 5220 bytes, while the current one has 6220 and the reupload above has 5740. There's a good chance I'm just awful at keeping track of updates to mods.
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

It could be 1.07. This is the only other version I still have.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Same result, unfortunately. Luckily it was Eternal Doom, so when I restart it the puzzles should still be fresh in my head, and the nature of maps 13 and 14 mean I don't have to start from the very beginning.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”