Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated February 3, 2024]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
LOL_DUDE
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated July 30, 2019]

Post by LOL_DUDE »

Love these add-ons, particularly CrosshairHP and HitMarkers, but I'd like to know, is there any way you can modify the former to account for changes made to enemy health levels? Smooth Doom's Monster Rebalance gameplay mutators reduces the health of Lost Souls by about 30%, but CrosshairHP still shows them as having 100 health when this is on.
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

I had a quick look at how the Lost Souls work in Smooth Doom and their health doesn't actually get changed - they're just instructed to die when HP goes below 55 during their pain state. This means that the health you're seeing is accurate, even if a Lost Soul won't actually survive long enough for it to hit zero.
LOL_DUDE

Post by LOL_DUDE »

Tekish wrote:I had a quick look at how the Lost Souls work in Smooth Doom and their health doesn't actually get changed - they're just instructed to die when HP goes below 55 during their pain state. This means that the health you're seeing is accurate, even if a Lost Soul won't actually survive long enough for it to hit zero.
Huh. Guess it wouldn't be possible, then. That's fine, though, since it's just a minor discrepancy anyway. Thanks for the response!
LOL_DUDE

Post by LOL_DUDE »

On another note, I’m curious, but when it comes to CrosshairHP, how are the display names for monsters defined? I’m asking because I’ve been playing Doom 64: Retribution with these add-one on top of it, and I noticed that monsters that don’t have defined display names show their internal names (specifically, nightmare imps’ names show as 64nightmareimp), and I wanted to try and correct that myself. I looked at several of CrosshairHP’s files that I could open with a Notepad++, and did not find the display names that show for regular Doom monsters in them. Are the display names defined by you in a compiled script, or by the WAD/TC that the monsters originate from?
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

The names are retrieved from an actor's tag property. If an actor doesn't have a tag, it will show their class name instead. To address this, you'd need to edit/patch the monsters in Doom 64: Retribution to include tags with their names.
DevilBlackDeath

Post by DevilBlackDeath »

Didn't see anyone pointing it out but in what I believe is screensize 10 (the standard oldschool grey Doom bar) the hitmarker is squished horizontally for some reason ! (on widescreen resolutions obviously ;) )
Tekish

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated August 22, 2019]

Post by Tekish »

This has been fixed in the latest versions of HitMarkers and CrosshairHP (which also had this problem).
LOL_DUDE

Post by LOL_DUDE »

Tekish wrote:The names are retrieved from an actor's tag property. If an actor doesn't have a tag, it will show their class name instead. To address this, you'd need to edit/patch the monsters in Doom 64: Retribution to include tags with their names.
Thanks! Figured out how to give the Nightmare Imp and Mother Demon tags using inheritance, so their names display correctly when using CrosshairHP. Surely gonna do the same for more monsters that don't have tags in the future.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated August 22, 2019]

Post by StroggVorbis »

@Tekish

If it's possible I'd like to request the display of accumulated radiation in the Strife damage floor types 105:sDamage_Hellslime and 116:sDamage_SuperHellslime as either a bar or numeric/percentage counter.
Tekish

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated August 23, 2019]

Post by Tekish »

I've added this to the latest version of LevelInfo. It now uses ZScript, so the GZDoom version requirement has been increased to 3.6.

If "Show Hazards" is enabled, LevelInfo will display a percentage indicating Strife's slime radiation exposure. Once this hits 100%, it will change to a countdown timer to show long the radiation will damage you. Also, I added a poison indicator for Hexen - and there you'll see a percentage countdown until the effect dissipates.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated August 23, 2019]

Post by StroggVorbis »

Awesome!
LOL_DUDE

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated August 26, 2019]

Post by LOL_DUDE »

Hate to bug you more, but I noticed a couple of minor incompatibilities between HitMarkers/CrosshairHP and some mods other mods I use them on top of. Specifically…
  • When firing projectile bullets from a helicopter or one of the tanks in Brutal Doom, kill sounds variably play when said bullets impact a surface. For all I know, this could be because those projectiles or their resulting explosion are coded in a way that makes HitMarkers think that they're monsters, and thus it wouldn't be something you could fix on your end. Still, I'd like for you to have a look. Honestly not a high priority for me since I don't have any maps that actually make use of the vehicles (save for the test map that comes with Brutal Doom).
  • Neither hit nor kill sounds play when arrows shot from the Heki hunting bow in High Noon Drifter impact enemies. Again, this may be be because of how the projectile is coded, but if you wouldn't mind having a look and seeing if there's anything you could do 'bout it, I'd appreciate it.
  • Neither hit nor kill sounds play when actors are hit by Lord Blaz' Double Lariat in GMOTA. Same case as the prior two.
  • Hit and kill markers do not follow the Precise Crosshair. I know that this is because HitMarkers is designed around the default crosshair, which doesn't move from its position center in the screen, but would it be possible for you to add an option that makes the markers snap to that modded crosshair?
  • Actor health bars (when set to one of the three position options that are relative to the crosshair) also do not follow the Precise Crosshair. Same case as the previous one, though I'd personally only need an option that mimics the position At Crosshair, but follows the modded crosshair. This would probably also require adjusting the script so that the health bar displays for whatever that crosshair is hovering over, rather than whatever is in the center of the player's screen. I dunno if that'd be possible, but I'd least like to know one way or another.
Also, little thing, but would you consider changing the options for the Quake hit and kill sounds to display as Quake III Arena and Quake Champions respectively? 'Cause when I first started using HitSounds, I was confused by the disparity between the two, and I think the exact source for the sounds from their series should be specified.
Aside from all this I have to ask about and suggest, I'm glad you're continuing to update these add-ons. Too many good mods for Doom aren't getting support anymore, y'know?
Tekish

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated August 27, 2019]

Post by Tekish »

LOL_DUDE wrote:
  • When firing projectile bullets from a helicopter or one of the tanks in Brutal Doom, kill sounds variably play when said bullets impact a surface. For all I know, this could be because those projectiles or their resulting explosion are coded in a way that makes HitMarkers think that they're monsters, and thus it wouldn't be something you could fix on your end. Still, I'd like for you to have a look. Honestly not a high priority for me since I don't have any maps that actually make use of the vehicles (save for the test map that comes with Brutal Doom).
  • Neither hit nor kill sounds play when arrows shot from the Heki hunting bow in High Noon Drifter impact enemies. Again, this may be be because of how the projectile is coded, but if you wouldn't mind having a look and seeing if there's anything you could do 'bout it, I'd appreciate it.
  • Neither hit nor kill sounds play when actors are hit by Lord Blaz' Double Lariat in GMOTA. Same case as the prior two.
HitMarkers is very simple in how it works - it just reads the data provided by the engine whenever something takes damage and spits out a hit/kill marker (or sound) when the following criteria are met:
- The damage inflictor is the player (you).
- The target is an actor with the ISMONSTER flag or the target is another player (I haven't tested this last part so I'm not sure it works).
- Kills are acknowledged when the target's health is reduced to zero or lower.

I mention this because it makes interactions with some mods understandable. In the case of Brutal Doom, the tank and helicopter shoot projectiles that can turn into an impact particle that has the ISMONSTER flag active. When it's destroyed, the engine sees that the player shot it, it was killed (it has 0 or negative health), and it is classified as a monster. That's why you'll see kill markers in this circumstance. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned barrels causing hit markers when you shoot them and I knew immediately they were using Brutal Doom (or one of its derivatives) because barrels are also given the ISMONSTER flag.

In High Noon Drifter, the bow projectile has an algorithm where it will determine how much damage it does based on a enemy's health. When it decides how much damage to do, it tells that enemy to hurt or kill itself. This means that the player never actually inflicts the damage, and thus you'll see no hit marker. I haven't looked at GMOTA but I'd imagine it's a similar circumstance.
LOL_DUDE wrote:
  • Hit and kill markers do not follow the Precise Crosshair. I know that this is because HitMarkers is designed around the default crosshair, which doesn't move from its position center in the screen, but would it be possible for you to add an option that makes the markers snap to that modded crosshair?
  • Actor health bars (when set to one of the three position options that are relative to the crosshair) also do not follow the Precise Crosshair. Same case as the previous one, though I'd personally only need an option that mimics the position At Crosshair, but follows the modded crosshair. This would probably also require adjusting the script so that the health bar displays for whatever that crosshair is hovering over, rather than whatever is in the center of the player's screen. I dunno if that'd be possible, but I'd least like to know one way or another.
This has been suggested before. It would be possible to do the things you've mentioned, but I currently lack the motivation to implement the changes that are necessary to do this properly. It would require a bit of reworking to HitMarkers especially, and while it's not a difficult task, I just don't have the time or desire to do it at the moment.
LOL_DUDE wrote:Also, little thing, but would you consider changing the options for the Quake hit and kill sounds to display as Quake III Arena and Quake Champions respectively? 'Cause when I first started using HitSounds, I was confused by the disparity between the two, and I think the exact source for the sounds from their series should be specified.
The hit sounds in all of the Quake games that have them are the same. Quake III also didn't have kill sounds - this was something they added in Quake Live, which I had forgotten. Because of this, I've added the Quake Live kill sound to HitMarkers and split up the menu options between that and Quake Champions to better distinguish them.
LOL_DUDE

Post by LOL_DUDE »

Tekish wrote:HitMarkers is very simple in how it works - it just reads the data provided by the engine whenever something takes damage and spits out a hit/kill marker (or sound) when the following criteria are met:
- The damage inflictor is the player (you).
- The target is an actor with the ISMONSTER flag or the target is another player (I haven't tested this last part so I'm not sure it works).
- Kills are acknowledged when the target's health is reduced to zero or lower.

I mention this because it makes interactions with some mods understandable. In the case of Brutal Doom, the tank and helicopter shoot projectiles that can turn into an impact particle that has the ISMONSTER flag active. When it's destroyed, the engine sees that the player shot it, it was killed (it has 0 or negative health), and it is classified as a monster. That's why you'll see kill markers in this circumstance. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned barrels causing hit markers when you shoot them and I knew immediately they were using Brutal Doom (or one of its derivatives) because barrels are also given the ISMONSTER flag.

In High Noon Drifter, the bow projectile has an algorithm where it will determine how much damage it does based on a enemy's health. When it decides how much damage to do, it tells that enemy to hurt or kill itself. This means that the player never actually inflicts the damage, and thus you'll see no hit marker. I haven't looked at GMOTA but I'd imagine it's a similar circumstance.
Huh, well, that makes sense. Dunno why Brutal Doom would use the ISMONSTER flag on things that aren't supposed to be monsters, though. Guess these sorts of things can't really be accounted for on your end, in that case. Thank you for the insight, nonetheless!
Tekish wrote:This has been suggested before. It would be possible to do the things you've mentioned, but I currently lack the motivation to implement the changes that are necessary to do this properly. It would require a bit of reworking to HitMarkers especially, and while it's not a difficult task, I just don't have the time or desire to do it at the moment.
That's fine. I'm hopin' that you'll be able to do it at some point, though, but I understand why you wouldn't now.
Tekish wrote:Also, little thing, but would you consider changing the options for the Quake hit and kill sounds to display as Quake III Arena and Quake Champions respectively? 'Cause when I first started using HitSounds, I was confused by the disparity between the two, and I think the exact source for the sounds from their series should be specified.
The hit sounds in all of the Quake games that have them are the same. Quake III also didn't have kill sounds - this was something they added in Quake Live, which I had forgotten. Because of this, I've added the Quake Live kill sound to HitMarkers and split up the menu options between that and Quake Champions to better distinguish them.
Ah, I see. Thank you for the addition! Though, may I also suggest adding hit and kill sounds from Half-Life 2 : MMod? There's six variations on the hit sound and five on the kill sound, and I personally think they're pretty meaty and satisfying. You can listen to what they sound like here and see if they'd be something you'd wanna add. If so, I could provide you with the sound files so you won't have to download the whole mod just to ge them.
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

I'm not against the idea, but I'd first need to know who to properly credit for the sound resources. I couldn't really find anything definitive on whether or not the sounds were created for the mod or taken from something else. I'd need those details before I'd feel comfortable adding this to HitMarkers.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”