Bloody Simple Blood [V0.3] (Update: 8/24/18)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
IdiotBitz
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Bloody Simple Blood [V0.3] (Update: 8/24/18)

Post by IdiotBitz »

Bloody Simple Blood:
A Blood Mod. (Version 0.3 - The "Slightly Less Simple" update)

hey would you look at that, hexen works now

Just when you thought I was done with this for now, I surprised even myself and made v0.3. I literally just uploaded v0.2.1 yesterday, but here I am again. Check the changelog to see what's new. Or, you know, you can also play the mod and find out that way. Your choice.

-What does this mod do?
This mod replaces the blood and bloodsplatter actors with my own blood actors. Simple as that.
There are 3 parts to this mod: The fog, the particles, and the pools. The fog is the main actor replacer itself, and also spawns in the particles. The particles are the smaller actors that land on the ground and spawn pools. The pools lay on the ground and fade out over time.

-How is this one different from other blood mods?
-I made this one. /s
-There are many many other blood mods that probably do very similar things that mine does. That's no secret.
-The mod's purpose is to be very lightweight and also very customizeable. It is lightweight by being purely DECORATE, no custom sprites whatsoever, meaning that the mod is only 4 kilobytes. It is customizeable via an options menu. From there, you can change the amount of particles spawned, the fade out rate of the blood pools, the size of the actors, etc.
-You can change the sprites for every actor used in the mod to something different. This is especially useful if an iwad you are playing does not provide its own.

-Why should I use this mod instead of another blood mod?
No reason at all, really. This mod is not aiming to be better than any other similar mod.
In fact, you should most definitely check out Josh771's Droplets Mod and Nash's Blood Mod and decide which mod you enjoy the most on your own.

-Where's the download link for this?
Here it is. Load the mod AFTER any other mod that also replaces blood, otherwise this one will be overwritten.
Latest Release: Version 0.3 (8-24-18)
Size: 14kb

-What iwads does this mod support?
Here's a list of all of the games that have been tested with v0.3:
  • -Fully Compatible: Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Wadsmoosh, FreeDoom Phase 1 and 2
    -Compatible, but need tinkering: Heretic, Hexen, Harmony, HACX (That is, if you dont want pools replaced with skeletons)
    -Works, but does not fit very well: Chex Quest
    -Does NOT work: Anything that does not use the vanilla gore system.
-When is this going to be updated again?
Who knows? Considering how (in)frequently I update a certain other mod, I don't want to make any promises I can't keep.

Here's that changelog or whatever.
Spoiler:
Here's a few planned features I want to add at some point to this mod, whenever I figure out how, that is.
Spoiler:
Last edited by IdiotBitz on Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Thedarkcube

Re: Bloody Simple Blood: A Blood Mod. (V0.1)

Post by Thedarkcube »

What a coincidence, I was just looking for a blood mod about 10 minutes ago.your blood mod seems promising, but it still needs gibs (if you decide to add those)and blood color variants (such as the cacodemon's blue blood)but considering it's only the first version it is pretty good :D
IdiotBitz

Post by IdiotBitz »

Thedarkcube wrote:What a coincidence, I was just looking for a blood mod about 10 minutes ago.your blood mod seems promising, but it still needs gibs (if you decide to add those)and blood color variants (such as the cacodemon's blue blood)but considering it's only the first version it is pretty good :D
Glad you enjoy the mod. Right now, the mod works without having to replace any of the original monsters, meaning you can put this in front of any other monster mod and it will work. I would like to have a gibbing system, it would probably be similar to the likes of SidDoyle's Droplets, but I'm still new to Decorate, so I won't be able to add it until I figure out how I'm supposed to add it. :D

Also the reason the Cacodemons have red blood and such is because, as mentioned above, I did not replace the original monsters. I've already setup the blood to translate any blood color defined by the monster. My mod is just using the color that was defined to the original cacodemon, which is red.If you want to have the vanilla monsters with fixed blood colors, I recommend you use Nevander's Blood Fixer mod. Using it with my mod will fix the issue you had.
Thedarkcube

Post by Thedarkcube »

Try taking a look at xaser's parkour mod, it has a blood similar to yours but it has the blood variants and can be used with some monster replacement mods (such as rdnd)
IdiotBitz

Post by IdiotBitz »

Thedarkcube wrote:Try taking a look at xaser's parkour mod, it has a blood similar to yours but it has the blood variants and can be used with some monster replacement mods (such as rdnd)
That's what I was worried about when I released v0.1. It's too simple, making it easy to compare to other mods. I replayed the parkour mod, and my mod does have a striking resemblance to it, albeit somehow even simpler than mine.

Thankfully, I've got a working menu for the mod now with some rather simple options to mess around with, like scaling, transparency, fadeout, etc. The only thing preventing me from releasing v0.2 as of right now is that I've messed up somewhere when I tried to add an option for the amount of blood that can spawn and now it only spawns at the maximum rate. I will fix this before I will release the next version.

Here's a screenshot of the placeholder menu; I plan to add more stuff explaining what everything does later.

More images can be seen in this imgur album.
Thedarkcube

Post by Thedarkcube »

The best part about your mod is that it is d-touch compatible
keithfishbiscuit

Post by keithfishbiscuit »

Hi, new here. Just wondering if there are any custom blood splatter tutorial for zdoom out there, I searched for a while, didn't find anything...?
IdiotBitz

Post by IdiotBitz »

keithfishbiscuit wrote:Hi, new here. Just wondering if there are any custom blood splatter tutorial for zdoom out there, I searched for a while, didn't find anything...?
Well, this specific topic page probably isn't the best place to find help, but I'll still try. You might be able to find a page for it somewhere in the General section or the Editing Help section, because I'm very amateurish with dealing with blood actors myself. :lol:

If you can't find help there, you can visit the Zdoom Wiki (which is what i used) and look at the references for the Blood actor and the Bloodsplatter actor, which I think is what you are looking for. If none of these help you, the only thing I could think of is to get in contact with someone who actually understands this more than I do, because they will definitely be of more help than I can.
keithfishbiscuit

Post by keithfishbiscuit »

thanks!!
bisousbisous

Post by bisousbisous »

Just wanted to comment that your avatar is hilarious.

Also I love the simplicity of this.
IdiotBitz

Re: Bloody Simple Blood [V0.2] (Update: 8/23/18)

Post by IdiotBitz »

bisousbisous wrote:Just wanted to comment that your avatar is hilarious.

Also I love the simplicity of this.
Thanks for playing this mod (And also for complimenting my avatar), but I'm sorry to say the mod is now slightly less simple, since now included in version 0.2 of this mod is that mod menu i showed off a few posts up. Check the OP for a link to the new version.

After a 5 month hiatus, I've figured out the issue that prevented me from finishing v0.2, and now everything I wanted in v0.2 is finished. Here's what you can look forward to in this version:
-The blood actors actually differentiate how many particles to spawn based on how much damage was dealt to the target. This is possible because of some hardcoded stuff that all blood actors have that I had not known about before.
-There is now a mod menu (surprise) you can customize the mod to fit to your personal preferences. If you want the blood to stay longer, change the fade out rate. Want the blood to be smaller? Change the scale of the actors. Want to remove particles entirely? Set their spawn rate to 0.
-The size of the mod has increased by a whole 2 kilobytes, making the mod now total a whopping 4 kilobytes.

And here's some features I would like to do in v0.3:
-Rework the blood fog so that they do not control particle spawning.
-Add the ability to have different sprites for the actors.
-(Maybe?) Add Zandronum compatibility.
-Convert the code to ZScript. (As soon as I figure out how ZScript works.) (Also if this does happen a separate version would have to be made if Zandronum compatibility is wanted.)

(There isn't really any need for any new screenshots because the mod looks exactly how it did before.)
Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

Just wanted to ask a quick question. Is this or will it be compatible with Heretic? I'd check myself but I'm not on my Doom machine for the foreseeable. :)
IdiotBitz

Post by IdiotBitz »

Hipnotic Rogue wrote:Just wanted to ask a quick question. Is this or will it be compatible with Heretic? I'd check myself but I'm not on my Doom machine for the foreseeable. :)
I didn't really think about testing this on anything non-doom until now. I went around a played all of the iwads I have, and here's a small list of which ones are and are not compatible.
  • -Anything DOOM 2 related: Fully compatible.
    -Wadsmoosh: Fully compatible.
    -DOOM 1: Works, but missing blood pool sprites.
    -FreeDOOM Phase 1: Works, but missing blood pool sprites.
    -FreeDOOM Phase 2: Fully compatible.
    -Chex Quest: Works, but missing blood pool sprites.
    -Heretic: Works, but missing blood pool sprites.
    -Hexen: Works, but missing blood pool sprites.
    -Strife: Works, but missing blood pool sprites.
    -Harmony: Works, but needs scaling fix and also missing blood pool sprites.
    -Adventures of Square: Does not work. (Didn't really expect it to work, to be fair.)
    -HACX 1.2: Works, but blood pools have incorrect sprite, so instead of blood pools, you get skeletons.
The first thing I want to do for v0.3 is the ability to have custom sprites. This would fix the issue for most of these games, albeit with some manual customizing to get the best effect.

Oh, also I fixed a typo in the code that prevented the mod from starting. Don't ask me how I missed this one. You can download v0.2.1 in the OP.
IdiotBitz

Re: Bloody Simple Blood [V0.3] (Update: 8/24/18)

Post by IdiotBitz »

Well, would you look at that, the mod has been updated again. With this update, you can now use any iwad that uses the vanilla gore system with this mod. This includes Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Harmony, and more. Again, download is in OP.

Here's a screenshot of it working in Hexen (with the settings turned up to ludicrous values)
[imgur]http://www.imgur.com/O7CgQ8g[/imgur]

So yes, Hipnotic Rouge, you can now use this mod in Heretic with no issues.
Hipnotic Rogue

Re: Bloody Simple Blood [V0.3] (Update: 8/24/18)

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

Ooh, ooh, ooh! Nice. I can't wait to get my Doom computer back tomorrow. Thanks so much for your work. :)

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”