[ARROWS] Custom automap arrows

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

[ARROWS] Custom automap arrows

Post by m8f »

I am not very fond of GZDoom/ZDoom original automap arrow. It is hard to see where is the front and where is the back. So I drew some different arrows:
  • minimalistic triangle
  • pentagram with one longer corner for occult/hell themed mods
  • rocket for tech/space themed mods
  • pacman for arcade themed mods
  • corner - even better visible direction
All of them allow to see direction more clearly when zoomed out than original automap arrow:

You are free to include them in your mods in original or modified form (CC BY 4.0), or load them separately.

Download

Corner arrow is included in Hellscape Navigator. Check it out for more navigation aid!
Last edited by m8f on Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:53 am, edited 6 times in total.
eharper256

Re: [ARROWS] Custom automap arrows

Post by eharper256 »

I'm sorta surprised no-one ever commented on this. It's pretty useful, especially with the generic triangle, because I have the same issue as you with that arrow, even if it was like that in the original game, the larger resolution of modern PC's makes it hard to see these days. So thanks m8. XD
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Pretty good alternative arrows, specially I love the Pacman and Corner ones! By the way, this last one reminds me the Asteroids arcade game spaceship, hehe... :D

You know something? I think I'm gonna include the Corner Arrow by default in next updates of two of my most important mods...
Spoiler:
Ani

Post by Ani »

I've been struggling to find something that could help me add this to my mod, thank you! I now wonder, can you change color of these arrows like say you want the triangle arrow to be green much like in Doom 64?
m8f

Post by m8f »

To add special arrows to your project, see https://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/GameInfo_definition for MapArrow property.

Arrow color is defined by GZDoom settings: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Set_custom_colors: am_yourcolor (can be configured through options menu).
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Map arrows are fun little details to change - and reasonably easy to do as well. For several years now, I've been using this one that I made:

And, yes, it was inspired by the Asteroids ship (though not an exact copy).
Professor Hastig
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Professor Hastig »

Cool stuff here!

What I find a bit strange is that this is such a completely underused feature of GZDoom - it has been available for a long time but I do not remember even a single larger map set using its custom arrow.
DELTAtheDboi005

Post by DELTAtheDboi005 »

How does one even make arrows? I genuinely have no clue how...
m8f

Post by m8f »

Basically, map description is simply a list list of lines, each of one is described by two points. Each points has two coordinates. The first coordinate is forward/backward, the second is left/right. Point (0, 0) is the center of the arrow, point (1, 0) is the front point.

You can take a piece of grid paper, mark the center as 0, 0, and mark each square as 0.125 or 0.25. Draw a shape, then write down the coordinates of the shape lines.
DELTAtheDboi005

Post by DELTAtheDboi005 »

Oh! that's handy. Might try that for my mod.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”