Universal Gibs

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Accensus

Re: Universal Gibs

Post by Accensus »

i managed to i think fix your neon red problem with your gibs mod.
Something about that preview looks off to me. I don't think the blood is supposed to be transparent. I mean, the whole idea of transparent blood sounds strange.
I do have one major complaint. Could the default gibs be replaced, or a new optional set of gibs be added that look more generic? Something like the way Smooth Doom does it, where the gibs are simply recolored Doom sprites. Its quite strange that Cacodemons can drop 3 hands and 2 arms despite, well, yknow... As well as the gibs being (in my opinion) kind of unsightly.
Gotta admit the current set of gibs isn't really what I like, either. I'd replace them, but I don't know where to find the necessary generic sprites. These here are taken from Colourful Hell. If you have any pointers, I'm all ears.
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

If you haven't found anything by the end of the month, I could try making some more generic sprites for this. Unfortunately I'm a bit busy at the moment.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

I currently don't have the time and/or motivation to go look around for gibs. It's likely that there won't be an update by the end of the month. Sorry.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

This is pretty neat, though it does not seem to respect damage sources with +NOEXTREMEDEATH - I was managing to splatter zombies with ww-cola3's melee attacks.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

- Event changed to WorldThingDamaged.
- Puffs with NOEXTREMEDEATH will no longer gib enemies.
- DamageType "Ice" will no longer gib enemies.

I have no idea if this would introduce any problems or performance issues. It's entirely possible that performance issues could be found. If this becomes a big problem, I will revert to WorldThingDied. However, that will prevent checking for DamageType and puff flags, so the fixes above would be reverted. Also keep note that while DamageType "Ice" will not gib enemies, the same cannot be said for other, custom ice damage types. This fix is not universal.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Managed to get this soft crash, and can repeatedly trigger it; it occurs in Russian Overkill when killing a monster using Marty's Sparta Kick:

Code: Select all

VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero.
Called from UGGibHandler.WorldThingDamaged at UniversalGibs.pk3:zscript.txt, line 13
EDIT: I just discovered that it also aborts with this same error if a monster is hurt by a crusher.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

- Fixed VM abort if Inflictor is null. Crushers fit the bill, for example.

Thanks for reporting that.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Great mod, seems to work pretty well in Hexen/Strife/etc as well :D

Also its compatibility with Colorful Hell is truly a sight to behold~

(that said, it looks like it does sometimes ignore the color match call, but it seems to be pretty infrequent)
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Some enemies in CH have one color visually, but a different blood color, so it looks like the colors don't always match up. The only time the gibs would not respect blood color and show up as red is in the case of black blood.

Nice video, by the way. I like it! May I put it in the OP?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

- Added option to toggle off gib trails.

Dunno why you'd wanna turn it off, but it would increase performance with mods such as Russian Overkill where you can't simply kill one enemy at a time.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

- Made the pools slightly transparent. Let's see what people think about it.
- Reduced gib bounce count from 7 to 5. They spawned too much blood pools and tanked performance without any visual improvement.
coolkid2000

Post by coolkid2000 »

Why is the mod a folder in instead of something like a pk3 file?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Because it's how Git works. When you download the repo it's a .zip file, which is the equivalent to .pk3. Just load that. No need to take out the folder or recompress.
coolkid2000

Post by coolkid2000 »

oh ok thanks
SMT_YHVH

Post by SMT_YHVH »

You made a mistake by not having the bloodsplatter in BLDSA0.png as the color black. Just invert the colors to fix it.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”