Universal Gibs

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cryomundus

Re: Universal Gibs

Post by Cryomundus »

So uh, found another bug.

If you have a monster that self resurrects, and you gib it, you'll hear the resurrection sound and then the game crashes.

I've uploaded a demo monster replacer so you can see it yourself.
Attachments
SelfResurrectingImpandZomb.pk3
(453 Bytes) Downloaded 75 times
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

- Fixed bug where self-resurrecting enemies would cause the game to crash, similarly to the Archvile bug.

I can call this permanently fixed. Thanks for reporting. I kind of fear any side effects this may have, but until a better solution is found, this will have to do.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

I also want to note that you can customize this even further. If you go into GZDoom's Display Options, under OpenGLRender, there is a Particle Style option, near the bottom of the top section. Mess with that to mess with the blood trails. Personally recommend Smooth, but Square is cool if you want some PS1 era blood trails.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

- Proper cleaning up of invisible corpses. There are some possible cases where it may get glitched, but those are A) extremely rare and B) require some really inappropriate coding to get it to glitch. Fixed by combining the best of both worlds.
- Added option to have gibs never disappear. To achieve that set lifetime to 0.
- Cleaned up the menu.

Disclaimer: lack of crashes or unintended side effects not guaranteed! They're highly unlikely to happen after the ten zillion patches, but in case there is an issue, please report it and I'll do my best at fixing it. At this point I estimate the biggest (and only) issue to be in the resurrection (patch applied). Everything else should work flawlessly.
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

Hmm. I just realized a possible issue that my method for coloring the blood may have caused: If a monster has a render style that uses the fill color, It's going to be the wrong color if it gets resurrected. It might be a good idea to store the original color and restore it after all the gibs are spawned, just in case.

Also, in regards to blood darkening sometimes making the color #000000 and therefore turned red, I think you can divide the color instead of decreasing it. If the wiki is correct, blood decals halve each channel to get the correct color. Halving the color value directly obviously doesn't work, but ZScript conveniently lets you assign colors by channel so you can just have "bloodCol.r *= .5;" etc. or whatever amount you want.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

I'll take care of that if you could provide an example or if someone eventually encounters that issue. After this much fuckery with the resurrection I don't want to fix what ain't broken.

As for the bloodcolor, the separate rgb values are read-only, but I'll see what I can do.
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

Lud wrote:I'll take care of that if you could provide an example or if someone eventually encounters that issue. After this much fuckery with the resurrection I don't want to fix what ain't broken.
Ha, I understand! It's likely to be a pretty small use case anyway.
Lud wrote:As for the bloodcolor, the separate rgb values are read-only, but I'll see what I can do.
Well, that's mildly irritating, but understandable. In that case you could just make a new color directly from changed values e.g. Color(255, bloodCol.r * .5, bloodCol.g * .5, bloodCol.b * .5).

I haven't actually tested that to see if it works so change it at your discretion. Apologies if I've inadvertently created a clusterfuck with my suggestions!
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Currently testing exactly with that method. Oh, and no worries about the suggestions, lol. Truth be told I'm really glad people are actually participating in the development!

EDIT: Seems like it won't work this way, because it doesn't want to recognize bloodCol.r/g/b as an integer when I attempt to set the color again. Looks like we're stuck with the mask. For now, at least. (It works, so I'm happy. :D)
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Would it be possible to make it so that enemies that don't bleed also don't gib?
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

The only thing I'd like to see is if it's possible to have the gibs/gibcorpse respect scale. Like if you have an enemy that's scaled down to be tiny, the gibs, and the corpse, would also be tiny.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Someone64 wrote:Would it be possible to make it so that enemies that don't bleed also don't gib?
Done.
Cryomundus wrote:The only thing I'd like to see is if it's possible to have the gibs/gibcorpse respect scale. Like if you have an enemy that's scaled down to be tiny, the gibs, and the corpse, would also be tiny.
- Gibs and blood pools can now scale with monster size if option is enabled. Off by default. Corpse scaling is always enabled.

Corpse scaling has always been there since the start, but the formula wasn't too good. Tweaked that so it's a bit more noticeable now.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

- Slightly reduced the impact of a rendering issue. (Can't be fixed completely, it's how (G)ZDoom draws stuff.)
- Fixed typo that rendered the scaling option useless.
- Fixed Spider Mastermind spawning humongous and unrealistic gibs. Max gib size is now capped.
- Increased gib bounce count to 7. Was 5.
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

I've got to say I've been looking for something like this for a while, so your work is appreciated. My only gripe is how much brighter the colors are compared to the standard blood or any other blood mod. It looks weird when you use this with something like Nash's Blood or Droplets, for example.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Thanks.

- Slightly reduced blood brightness.
That should do it. I agree it was a bit brighter than it should have been.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

- Added Mortal Kombat gib mode. Affects sprites and gib movement.

Feature requested by Somagu.

EDIT: Slightly reduced skull/ribcage sizes. Also misspelled Kombat for a sec. I blame it on being late.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”