Universal Gibs

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Valken

Re: Universal Gibs - Now With Presets!

Post by Valken »

Hi Lud,

I don't know anything about coding but perhaps a patch can be applied to use Nice Wall Bloods wall and floor decals but use inherited monster colors - green for Barons, blue for Cacodemons or whatever a mod may dictate - such as Brutal Doom or Project Brutality?

With your mod and the two aliens mod, most of the floor decals are RED. This is true only for the Human Marines while the rest should be:

Androids = white
Aliens = yellow green
Predator = green

You can see all the blood pools and wall splatter that is covered in red mixed in with human parts instead of the correct colors and built in alien/predator or android gibs. Test in god mode, give all weapons and using the grenade launcher. The overkill really makes this apparent.

Your mod is needed since these mods fades out the blood quickly.
Last edited by Valken on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Judging from your description, this seems to be an issue with the other mods and not Universal Gibs. Unfortunately, I don't have the energy or patience to deal with compatibility patches. Sorry.

Also UG does not modify wall decals in any way.
Valken

Post by Valken »

I understand hence I was asking if there was a section of code we users can review to manually advise the color for certain mods, like user made compatibility patches? Or we can submit the actor class to pull the inheritance from?

Something like a dummy class to set UG to use the correct colors?

This would help with certain mods and alleviate mod authors from more of the mundane work involved.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

You misunderstand me, this isn't just a code issue. There is nothing that could be done on the code side that would fix it. Translating things to blood color is the absolute worst.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

- Gib velocity is no longer affected by overkill level. This was a stupid mechanic that made finding a middle ground really difficult.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

How easy would it be to make a spin off version of this mod for decorations only? (make lamps, pillars, trees etc fully destructable/gibbable)
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Quite hard. In an universal way, at least.

First of all, anything that's marked as +SOLID, +SHOOTABLE, and not a monster would be applicable for destruction. Most decorations have those, aside from +SHOOTABLE, which would be necessary in order to call WorldThingDamaged.
Second, they would need health, which is something decorations don't have set to something other than 1000 by default. Alternatively, they could be destroyed by the slightest damage, but that'd be kinda lame for bigger decorations. Setting the health is dangerous, because it would alter already existing decorations, so that's out of the question.

Bottom line is that such a mod is possible, but you'd have to work around various issues that cannot be solved directly, lest they'd break something. There's also the problem with deciding what's a decoration and what isn't. Would have been easy if actors inherited from "Decoration" or had a +ISDECORATION flag, but it's not a perfect world.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Lud wrote:Quite hard. In an universal way, at least.

First of all, anything that's marked as +SOLID, +SHOOTABLE, and not a monster would be applicable for destruction. Most decorations have those, aside from +SHOOTABLE, which would be necessary in order to call WorldThingDamaged.
Second, they would need health, which is something decorations don't have set to something other than 1000 by default. Alternatively, they could be destroyed by the slightest damage, but that'd be kinda lame for bigger decorations. Setting the health is dangerous, because it would alter already existing decorations, so that's out of the question.

Bottom line is that such a mod is possible, but you'd have to work around various issues that cannot be solved directly, lest they'd break something. There's also the problem with deciding what's a decoration and what isn't. Would have been easy if actors inherited from "Decoration" or had a +ISDECORATION flag, but it's not a perfect world.
Thank you, that makes sense.

I'm wanting to make a mod where all decorations are destroyable (atleast the vanilla doom 2 ones), since it felt so satisfying to wreck decorations in WooD and BD. I was first planning to do it the old fashioned way with Decorate replacements, but then I remember UniGibs and thought to ask if this could be used as a base to make it both easier and universal.

Sounds like I'll need to do it the former way after all.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

So Beed28 has been working on some improvements lately on his shootable corpses. Here is what's changed (his changelog, I haven't edited almost anything):

- Now only calls A_Warp if its coordinates aren't matched up with the tracer.
- Is now always shootable; disabling the "Shootable Corpse" CVar never did remove the shootable corpse actor themselves if they were still present, thus continuing to impact the performance, nor did it spawn new ones if there were existing corpses when it was turned on.
- Fixed the shootable corpse actor having a zero radius if the actor was crushed while still dying and the "Arch-Viles can revive crushed corpses" compatibility option was enabled.
- Hopefully fixed an issue with the shootable corpse actor if the monster corpse was perched on the edge of a cliff.
- Should also hopefully fixed an issue where monsters couldn't teleport onto spots if they were occupied by a shootable corpse.

Thanks, dude! Greatly appreciated! Sorry for not looking at it earlier, I completely forgot about the PM, lol.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Update time, I guess.

Things that have changed since the last time I posted here:

Code: Select all

- Replaced a few gibs with josh771's Droplets gibs.
- Renamed the gibs, because they conflicted with mods that have an integrated version of old Nashgore/Nashblood. Colourful Hell is one such example.
- Refactored the liquid mechanics. Nukage and lava now dissolve gibs. Decals are no longer spawned on those flats. Should improve performance.
- Refactored the bouncing and moved that to virtuals. It does not change gameplay per se, but it allows me to do things in a less copy-pasty way.
- Gibs no longer bounce on liquids. Never made much sense when they did.
- Fixed a major bug where Cogs and Springs were invisible due to bad sprite naming.
- Gibs are now flagged with NOINTERACTION upon death. It *may* improve performance for static gibs. So far it hasn't introduced any bugs.
- Added more liquid textures to the arrays.
This is the last update I will be making in this thread. If you wish to report a bug, discuss the mod, or contact me in general, please refer to the OP. You can still report bugs here. I may see and fix them, but will not post or provide any feedback on the matter in here. Same goes for every mod of mine on this forum.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Thank you for the update, this still remains my favorite gore mod to this day! :thumb:
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Update time! Well, sort of. I've made many updates to this mod since the last time I posted here. Won't list all of them because there's quite a few, but you're free to check out the commit history.

As for the thread, I've updated the OP to clean up old links and such in a way that it wouldn't need updating in the future. That said, I'd like to ask a moderator to bin this thread, if they deem it bin-worthy. I have lost all significant investment in it and can't really be bothered to update it, seeing as how rarely I post on the forums nowadays anyway. But mainly because I can't be bothered.
Again, that doesn't mean the mod is dead. Far from it. It's just that I've moved all development to GitLab and our mod hub Discord server ('our' as in Mor'ladim and I) because it's easier/faster for both of us to discuss stuff there when the need arises.

tl;dr thread is RIP, project development moved to GitLab/Discord, see OP.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

No sense to lock/bin the thread IMO. Not everyone is on GitLab or Discord, so there may be people who can only find or interact with the project here. So long as you're working on the project I'd say it's worth keeping the thread open if only for "legacy" reasons.

8-)
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Fine by me. I'll reply to posts made here in that case.
MasterZeroFlash
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Universal Gibs

Post by MasterZeroFlash »

That sizzling effect when parts hit nukage...mind blown. <3

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”