"Shot on Location" Skies

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

"Shot on Location" Skies

Post by Wiw »

You know how the skies in Doom 1 & 2 were derived from those MediaClips CD-ROMs? Well, based on what I know about them, I cropped the original photos and make quick and dirty versions of the skies which are mostly untouched except for the seamless siding. And the seamlessness is VERY quick and dirty!

ImageImageImageImageImage

Shot on location in Yangshuo County, Zion National Park, and Cape Canaveral.

Download

This shouldn't be taken too seriously, honestly. It's something I did on a whim, to see if it works or not.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: "Shot on Location" Skies

Post by hoover1979 »

Looks good.

Even shows Hell finally freezing over. Love it! Are there any tiling seams?
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

Well I did try to eliminate as much of them as possible, but trace amounts might still exist.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by hoover1979 »

It is very hard to remove tiling seams when using photographic material. My trick with mountain textures was to take mountains from multiple photos and make layers so the first layer may be 1 mountain and that would hide the seam of the second layer, which would hide the seam of the third layer, and then I CGI the clouds in the background and perform a progressive gaussian blur of each layer to fake DOF. However it is very time consuming and the worst bit is trimming the mountains out of the photos in photoshop, which not lying is an absolute **** to do.

Here is an example: https://orig00.deviantart.net/b6b0/f/20 ... bhc3e4.png (My replacement for Knee Deep in the Dead).

What you did does look good and I will have to check it out some time.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”