Reikall's Voxels.

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
reikall

Re: Yet another voxel project - Doom, Raven, Strife

Post by reikall »

Sorry, I put an insane amount of time into this and I needed a break, but I didn't realize I took almost a month off.
reikall

Post by reikall »

I added a soul sphere, or at least a prototype of it. Here's a video: http://www.moddb.com/mods/reikalldoomvo ... soulsphere
I'd like to know what people think of it before I continue. I intended to do a whole head (like Doom 3) and not just the face, but maybe I'll do it later.

The rest of these are going to be difficult. I honestly have no idea what to do for whatever is going on inside the blur sphere. I'm not sure it's something that can even exist as voxels. Any thoughts?

1/11 -- Also added a not-great invulnerability sphere.
1/13 -- ...And a megasphere I'm a little proud of.

Post by 001 »

I like the Soulsphere. Having rotating faces is a smart choice. 3 would be ideal, IMHO, but I dont know if it is possible giving the size of the voxel.
Not so crazy about the rest. And yes, the Blursphere is going to be problematic :(
reikall

Post by reikall »

Three faces would be cool, but voxels don't like odd angles very much.
...Actually, voxels work brilliantly with Hexen bridges' orbiting function, but spawning a new one every tic doesn't seem to work, and as far as I know I need to do that so that the voxels will disappear when someone picks up the item that spawns them. I'm not good at coding; someone help me out if I'm wrong.

I don't think I can make the megasphere have a single face, since a mancubus doesn't really have a back side to its head, and even the sides don't really have much detail to work with. And I can't make it have more than two faces, because they're just too fat to fit any more in there. It's weird, but I kinda like its weirdness, and I don't know what else can be done.

The invulnerability sphere is not what I hoped for at all, but it looked just close enough to the original that I included it. The lost soul inside the sphere is apparently bigger than the sphere itself for a frame, so that's a big problem. I feel like I might be able to work at it to make it a little better, but I don't know.

The blursphere is pretty much the same deal, except I have absolutely no clue at all how to do it differently or make it better. I tried, it exists, it's now included, but I know I've lost that battle. Depressing.

I suspect making these better would require shaders or something, and I have no experience with anything like that. Suggestions are still welcome, but in the meantime I'm going back to things I'm more confident I can do.
Last edited by reikall on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 001 »

About the 3 faces, 3 sided spawn cubes, and the blur sphere. How about cheating a bit, with md3 mimicking a voxel look?
reikall

Post by reikall »

But that would solve too many problems!

Also: I don't know how to do that. Maybe I'll finally get around to learning how to work with polys this year.

Post by 001 »

reikall wrote:But that would solve too many problems!

Also: I don't know how to do that. Maybe I'll finally get around to learning how to work with polys this year.
I havent done almost ANY modding since the eons of Quake I & II, but I'll give it a shot when I have the time.
Do you know any tool that can export voxel to obj? I'll start with a 3 faced sphere, using your soulsphere as base, if you dont mind.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Just wanted to jump in here and say this is really heckin' good. You nailed the quality of the original sprites in a way that no other "let's make models/voxels/3D stuff for Doom" project has ever even come close to, from what I've seen. Like, holy damn.
reikall

Post by reikall »

001 wrote:I havent done almost ANY modding since the eons of Quake I & II, but I'll give it a shot when I have the time.
Do you know any tool that can export voxel to obj? I'll start with a 3 faced sphere, using your soulsphere as base, if you dont mind.
MagicaVoxel does it. You'll have to import (drag and drop into the window) the .kvx files because you can't just open them normally. Then, it's just one of the export buttons in the bottom right.

Although...I'm fairly satisfied with what I have, at least for the soulsphere. I'd support you and recommend your work, but don't do it for my sake. Besides, I really do want to learn that stuff for myself.
Xaser wrote:Just wanted to jump in here and say this is really heckin' good. You nailed the quality of the original sprites in a way that no other "let's make models/voxels/3D stuff for Doom" project has ever even come close to, from what I've seen. Like, holy damn.
Thank you! I honestly don't have a lot else going for me in my life right now, so I appreciate it immensely.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

Hey Reikall, I don't know if you're still interested or if this is even useful (How do make voxels?) but I made this cheap mockup (using the beta version) of the BlurSphere's innards. If it's helpful at all I can do a less half-arsed copy...
InvisiReveal.gif
InvisiReveal.gif (26.33 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
reikall

Post by reikall »

It's nice, but it doesn't really help me. Maybe it will eventually....
Thanks anyway. I pretty much always use Screem, by the way.
Pixel Eater wrote:(How do make voxels?)
Step 1: Import the sprite into MagicaVoxel
Step 2: Press buttons at random for an hour or two
Step 3: Second-guess everything for about six hours
Step 4: Repeat as needed for every frame of animation
Step 5: Export as slab, load it into the world's worst art program, set the offsets with the "adjust pivots" tool, then save as .kvx
Step 6: Look back at it in a couple weeks and redo the entire thing
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

No problems O-)

That's freaky, I'm actually working on a Screem update especially for your voxels...
Step 1: Imp
I'm already lost :lol:

Edit to add: Have you thought of fading the center of the Blur Sphere instead of shrinking it? I think ID wanted to judging by the beta release but went with the blinking animation because the dither-fade didn't cut it.
reikall

Post by reikall »

That's a pretty good idea. Seems kinda obvious in retrospect, and yet...nope, didn't think of it. I still have some work to do, but it does look better.

I forgot to try the beta, and I never got around to Doom Delta. I'm gonna use it as an excuse to do some of these old bonus and decoration sprites. That lost soul is pretty much an exact match for the invulnerability sphere, so that helps too. So yeah, thanks for making me aware of this stuff. I tingle with excitement.
Last edited by reikall on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

Damn dude, these are really awesome. In fact, I find they're better than the 3D model packs out there.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

I'm a slut for voxels in doom, and I must say these fit the aesthetic seamlessly! They almost look official! Would you consider adding a cvar for rotating item pickups? When you kill a bunch of shotgunners for example, all their shotguns being parallel, and the green armour in E1M1 being sideways looks wierd. It's also a shame none of the decorations have proper angles, making a bunch of things like the torches at the end of E1M1 come out sideways as well. Is there any legal way to correct that? I wouldn't mind manually adjusting them, but I don't think I would be able to release that as a wad.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”