Original Doom Hi-Res weapon animation redraw project - done

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Original Doom Hi-Res weapon animation redraw project (WI

Post by Darkcrafter »

Update: pistol animation has been added, double barrelled shotgun aslo enhanced.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

Is this just for the original sprites or does this mean Perk's Smooth Weapons are being done as well?
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Original Doom Hi-Res weapon animation redraw project.

Post by hoover1979 »

Darkcrafter wrote:The work is still in progress, this one shot took me 3 hours to complete
CHGGA0.png
Great work! I am very impressed, by your efforts. I am looking forward to its completion. Doom is sorely in need of some better weapon sprites.

I was so taken by the work you did with the Chaingun, that as a test I extended upon it. I would love to hear your opinion on it. Maybe once my UltraHD Texture Pack is finished we could collaborate?

I wish you the best of luck in your project.

https://orig00.deviantart.net/75d1/f/20 ... bvzr02.png
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Nice! Currently the progress is slow, because I think this work requires effort but I think there is the only way to get it - mood. Some new sprites are already being redrawn. Maybe as I add all the doom 2 sprites I shall upscale them twice, what about the texture you added, in my opinion you should blend it a little-bit different way, I suppose it shouldn't appear in bright reflections, that's the way metal material works :wink: but if you still want to this stain to appear in there, it must be 100% opaque, just think of it like combining two different materials on the same surface, it just never happens in the real world that stainy metal surface has that kind of sharp reflectance :)
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Glaice wrote:Is this just for the original sprites or does this mean Perk's Smooth Weapons are being done as well?
I must redraw at least the original ones at first sir, but yes I actually was thinking about smooth animations :wink:
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Darkcrafter wrote:Nice! Currently the progress is slow, because I think this work requires effort but I think there is the only way to get it - mood. Some new sprites are already being redrawn. Maybe as I add all the doom 2 sprites I shall upscale them twice, what about the texture you added, in my opinion you should blend it a little-bit different way, I suppose it shouldn't appear in bright reflections, that's the way metal material works :wink: but if you still want to this stain to appear in there, it must be 100% opaque, just think of it like combining two different materials on the same surface, it just never happens in the real world that stainy metal surface has that kind of sharp reflectance :)
I'm glad you like it and don't think I'm trying to upstage you. I am quite a fan of your project. Sometime later I'll send you one without the corrosion. Opaque rust was a detraction from the weapon and looked awful no matter how I approached it, so I blended it in. I now migrated to the Creative Cloud so I may also have some more options up my sleeve that at the moment I am still unaware of.

I would be curious about what programs you use as I mucked around on my old CS5.5 with the original Doom CG sprite and median filter did not produce edges like yours without meticulously drawing shapes that matched the weapon, merging them, selecting, inverting the selection and removing some of the sprites to give a hard and smooth edge, and it didn't look right to me, after all, that effort.

Keep up the Great work Darkcrafter. I have also been sharing your project with some Doom groups to get you more exposure. :mrgreen:
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Well, I think even even nearest neighbour interpolation will go ok with using smudge and brush with little opacity. Sometimes if the original image lacks details I'd like to add I just paint them with brush stroke by stroke, then smudging it, that's it.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Darkcrafter wrote:Well, I think even even nearest neighbour interpolation will go ok with using smudge and brush with little opacity. Sometimes if the original image lacks details I'd like to add I just paint them with brush stroke by stroke, then smudging it, that's it.
I found a new feature in Photoshop CC 2018 for resizing, called "Preserve details 2.0" it would be great to resize the sprites before applying the brushing (it's like Resizing, Sharpening and Median Filter in one go, best done in increments of 200% at a time). If you don't have CC 2018, I would be happy to resize the sprites for you so you can finish them off with your brushing/smudging. If you want just send me a link to all the sprites you want me to have a go at, via a PM. I would be happy to help you with your amazing work.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Would be nice to see some results, but in my opinion there is no really good interpolation for sprites nor for anything else. The research is still continuing. I think some kind of artifical-inteligence based methods coupled with fractals or self-repeating forms is the future, as there are no details presented in an original picture. The best ones I found are Genuine Fractals (Perfect Resize ancestor), MeeSoft Fractal Interpolation plug-in for MeeSoft ImageAnalyzer, Moscow State University SmartEdge2 and deringing with their fractal substitution. But they're still based on what originally is presented in an original image, so no details = no details in the resulting image, in other words it's not just enough to preserve original details, it's very important to add new ones.

By the way! I've just added rough punch animation :)

Here is this SmartEdge, if you have windows 7 or higher you should run it under Windows 2000 compatibility mode.
http://audio.rightmark.org/lukin/graphi ... mpling.htm
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Darkcrafter wrote:Would be nice to see some results, but in my opinion there is no really good interpolation for sprites nor for anything else. The research is still continuing. I think some kind of artifical-inteligence based methods coupled with fractals or self-repeating forms is the future, as there are no details presented in an original picture. The best ones I found are Genuine Fractals (Perfect Resize ancestor), MeeSoft Fractal Interpolation plug-in for MeeSoft ImageAnalyzer, Moscow State University SmartEdge2 and deringing with their fractal substitution. But they're still based on what originally is presented in an original image, so no details = no details in the resulting image, in other words it's not just enough to preserve original details, it's very important to add new ones.

By the way! I've just added rough punch animation :)

Here is this SmartEdge, if you have windows 7 or higher you should run it under Windows 2000 compatibility mode.
http://audio.rightmark.org/lukin/graphi ... mpling.htm
For the iconic Doom gore wall, which is also the intermission screens for Doom II and Thy Flesh consumed, I couldn't go with Artistic License and break the feel of Doom, so I started with the texture from KuriKai's DHTP and enlarged it from 1024x512 to 2048x1024 then resized it again to 4096x2048 and added a slight median filter, and faded it back a bit so I didn't lose any of the original details. I then made it greyscale and boosted the brightness/contrast and RGB levels and bump mapped it with SSAO to add some further details to the image which I then overlayed on a flesh texture I made from scratch. I made two copies of this and added a slight brown hue to one and a slight purple hue to the other, then stacked the layers so the pink layer was at the base of the stacking order. I then carefully used a soft eraser brush to the brownish and purplish layers so there was more variety in the color scheme rather than straight pink. It turned out better than I thought. However, without this new "Preserve Details 2.0" resizing method it would have ended up looking very poor, I'm sure of it. The resizing took no time, the rest took over three and a half hours to do.

I didn't use any brushing/smudging like you do in your fine work, as I haven't any experience in that as of yet.

Here is the result: (CTRL + Click to view in new tab and click again to zoom if your screen is less than 4k)
https://orig00.deviantart.net/ad77/f/20 ... bx5hqg.png

This resize feature could work with sprites, especially in conjunction with the Refine Edge Tool, to give a crisp HD well-defined edges to the sprites. Then further details can be added as post-processing.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Looks good in overall, pretty smooth edges, but the details like tooth on that skeleton and original texture crispness is lost under median filter averaging. There is SAR image processor software which performs in pretty much the same way and the scaling method is called Pseudo-LAD Deconvolution.

Here is some comparison on the different state of art image interpolation techniques and how they work for doom textures: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aZWap9 ... sp=sharing
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Shotgun is coming through enhancements procedures now - the file with progess has been updated.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Darkcrafter wrote:Shotgun is coming through enhancements procedures now - the file with progess has been updated.
Great news. Keep up the good work! :mrgreen:
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Thanks, updated shotgun animation so it looks even better now.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Yeah...I had take some pause but now when a have some time, the work is still in progress
Attachments
MISGA0WIP.png

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”