Voxel Chibi Doom! Version 5.2 (Jan 24 2020)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cherno

Re: Voxel Chibi Doom! Update: v4_1 10/17/2017 hotfix!

Post by Cherno »

It just occured to me that instead of having a seperate voxel frame for the Pain state which is entirely white, I could just as well use the normal idle state and change the RenderType to stencil with a white color. Good thing I noticed that AFTER completing all the monsters -_-

Edit: Same goes for the different colored voxels from the explosions. I don't need actual voxel for each color, I could just have each one use a different stencil color when spawning.
reikall

Post by reikall »

I love your voxels so much. This mod puts a smile on my face in a way few other things do. (I'm also a big fan of 3D Dot Game Heroes.)
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Thank you! 8-)
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

It just came to my mind how cool it would be to have a semi-complete gameplay overhaul along with the voxel replacements, to fit the Legend of Zelda/3D Dot Game Heroes style. There is already an adaption of the LoZ overworld and dungeons for Doom, my idea is to create a tileset of sorts that fit Doom's style, but in the low-res voxel style of Voxel Chibi Doom, and create a hellish overworld (or underworld?) with it, as a hub, along with various dungeons and misc locales (fortresses and the like). Sounds like a lot of work but also lots of fun.
Rayman The Hedgehog

Post by Rayman The Hedgehog »

@Cherno Hi,I maked a android compatible version of you mod :D
Rayman The Hedgehog

Rayman The Hedgehog wrote:@Cherno Hi,I maked a android compatible version of you mod :D
Here is the link:
https://mega.nz/#!g5YlkYyB!xWdWaG_sHXOt ... iAQjsWrtYQ
Last edited by Rayman The Hedgehog on Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Nice :)
Rayman The Hedgehog

Cherno wrote:Nice :)
I knew that you would like. :)
The Requirement is: Put D-Touch in 2.1 dev, select the mod, run it And..
MAKE A PIXEL BLOODBATH :V
Rayman The Hedgehog

@Cherno, are you thinking to do chibi voxels for Heretic,Hexen & Strife.
Will be cool to see a, cute but rude chibi fighter xD
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I thought about it, yes. But it will be another big project and it doesn't look like I will have the time to work on something like this in the next months. Plus, I've never been too interested in those games .We'll see.
Cherno

Re: Voxel Chibi Doom! Update: v5 01/21/2020

Post by Cherno »

Update time! After three years, I finally started working on this mod again on now I consider it pretty much completed :)

New in version 5:
  • Added simulated sunlight shader.
  • Converted all props to voxel models. The Icon of Sin spawn cube and hanging Commander Keen is still missing.
  • Smooth turning for monsters.
  • Various model fixes.
  • new style of voxel explosions, plus additional voxel blood.
Check the first post for more information.

Download
voxelchibi_v5.pk3

Recommended with:
Low-Res Doom! by Ezepov
Low-Res HUD by Wiw and Gollgagh

If you decide to use any low-res mod, I suggest turning off advanced graphical features and things like texture filtering!
Last edited by Cherno on Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cherno

Re: Voxel Chibi Doom! Update: v5 01/21/2020

Post by Cherno »

Voxel Chibi Doom! Version 5.2 has been released.

Changes:
  • Fixed bug causing some enemies to become stuck when spawning near walls
  • Added seperate multiplier for voxel blood
Download:
voxelchibi_v5.2.pk3
talisa

Re: Voxel Chibi Doom! Version 5.2 (Jan 24 2020)

Post by talisa »

great update, loving all the new additional voxels that were missing before.

kinda shame about the lack of hanging corpses and having them replaced with cages instead,
would love it to also have voxel versions of those in-world items too

also, on another random note, back in 2018 i also posted a mostly-complete pack with low-res graphics for all the menus & fonts
of doom in a matching low-res NES-style look in the 'low-res doom' thread viewtopic.php?f=46&t=58162&start=45#p1054901

thought you might enjoy it and could add a link to the post in the 'recommended with' section of your first post
talisa

Post by talisa »

oh! one more thig i noticed is that when mappers add actual enemy-corpses into maps, that those corpses dont get replaced by voxels

it would be awesome if you could add some voxels for those too, with the same voxels like for the marine-corpses,
but with some different colors that belong to the monster which the mess of voxels is from
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

talisa wrote:great update, loving all the new additional voxels that were missing before.

kinda shame about the lack of hanging corpses and having them replaced with cages instead,
would love it to also have voxel versions of those in-world items too

also, on another random note, back in 2018 i also posted a mostly-complete pack with low-res graphics for all the menus & fonts
of doom in a matching low-res NES-style look in the 'low-res doom' thread viewtopic.php?f=46&t=58162&start=45#p1054901

thought you might enjoy it and could add a link to the post in the 'recommended with' section of your first post
Yes, the cages or something of a shortcut... I was not looking forward to convert all the different gory bits when they are only only seldom used in vanilla maps, plus I wanted to make it less violent to fit withthe overall theme (blood voxels notwithstanding ;) ). Thing is, if I use actual chibi characters hanging there, they will be far too bulky in comparison to the lean gore sprites, and I also wouldn'T know how to make them look captured or something. Maybe having hanging skeletons is a good compromise?

Thanks for suggesting the low-res menu graphic mod, I added it the the recommended section and will use it from now on! :wub:
talisa wrote:oh! one more thig i noticed is that when mappers add actual enemy-corpses into maps, that those corpses dont get replaced by voxels

it would be awesome if you could add some voxels for those too, with the same voxels like for the marine-corpses,
but with some different colors that belong to the monster which the mess of voxels is from

A good suggestion! I kinda looked over these corpse actors when converting all the decorations because they are not used in the vanilla maps, but as you found out, other maps might still include them. I will probably make these corpses as voxel piles in the marine corpse (no pun intended) style as you suggested. Which brings me to another issue, which is that voxel monsters get explode into voxels or disappear, but they are technically still there, only invisible, so the Archvile can resurrect them. I might leave voxel piles for all the monsters behind so the player knows where enemies died and could be a target for the AV.

Another little thing I noticed is that the Spectre has normal-colored blood and gib voxels; I haven't managed to copy the RenderStyle of the Spectre to it's voxels yet.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”