Drawn In Quarters - Sprite Width Correction

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Drawn In Quarters - Sprite Width Correction

Post by Pixel Eater »

DrawnInQuarters.png
Drawn in Quarters has been superseded by the Autochthonic Widescreen mode in ScreeM
DrawnQuart2.zip
(34.86 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
This is a mod for those who like the look of monsters, etc. in the forced aspect of 16:10 but don't like how it flattens the field of view. I personally think this mod captures the most natural look and represents the way the game was intended by both the artists and it's mappers. I explain more in depth here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=57513

You may need to experiment with the 'Force Aspect Ratio' setting in the 'Set Video Mode' menu for your particular display but I suspect 'Off' will be the most common choice.

Here is an example of some Imp's balls:
Imp Balls
Imp Balls
You can see how much thinner they were in vanilla Doom. This mod's widening effect works for all objects in the game except the on-screen weapon (which is already aspect correct) and the sky. The sky I will be releasing later as an optional add-on because I think there will be some who would want it left alone.

As this is my first mod I'm sure there'll be something I've missed so please keep me informed 8-)
Last edited by Pixel Eater on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pixel Eater

Re: Drawn In Quarters - Sprite Width Correction

Post by Pixel Eater »

In the first post is release 2 of “Drawn In Quarters”. It now has three scaled options- 120%, 110% and 100%. All you have to do is pick which file to load, either DIQ120, DIQ110 or DIQ100.pk3.

120% is the same as what the first release did- maintained the height of the sprites but increased their width and area.

100% forces sprites to use the same area as vanilla Doom but sacrifices some height. They are widened less than the previous option.

110% is a happy medium, demonstrated here:
Pinky2.gif
Pinky2.gif (21 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
Last edited by Pixel Eater on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pixel Eater

Re: Drawn In Quarters - Sprite Width Correction

Post by Pixel Eater »

I’ve decided to go back on my word about releasing a wider sky mod- not from lack of trying though. The release would have been cumbersome to load with separate files for each version of Doom (Lump filters weren’t working with texture defs.) and stitched skies wouldn’t stretch horizontally, only shrink vertically making for an inconsistent experience. And after I finally got it to work under these limitations I began to realise that vanilla Doom actually stretches most of the sky naturally. The top starts to narrow only as it fades out and the bottom pixels are actually wider than square, so on average it’s already correct!

So instead I’m offering a remastered version of episode one’s sky:

Newer version here.
NuClearSky.pk3
(34.72 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Spoiler:
It’s now in 24bit colour so it loses that grainy look but sadly custom palettes will no longer have an affect on it.

Having it as a loadable *.pk3 is a convenient way to add it to other Dooms as well:
Spoiler:

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”