DMXOPL: OPL3 Madness! (Now included in GZDOOM)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Csonicgo

DMXOPL: OPL3 Madness! (Now included in GZDOOM)

Post by Csonicgo »

New update! DMXOPL is now in GZDoom through the new LibADL Midi device! It's not the latest version (yet) but that can be addressed, probably...
DMXOPL

Welcome to DMXOPL. After five years of development, hopefully it will have been worth the weight.

This is a GENMIDI patch for DMX, for use with the OPL3 FM synthesis mode. DMXOPL aims to remedy the "weak" default instruments to better match the Roland Sound Canvas, most notably the SC-55 and SC-88.

It's safe to say that lot of people hated the stock DMX sound banks, mostly the percussion. If you're doing orchestral scores, it's "ok", but Doom is not just that - it's thrash!

Recommended minimum setup for no note-cuts is ZDoom 2.8.1 or higher with DOXBOX OPL3 core, with 6 chips emulated. If you can afford to go all out, 8 chips with Nuked or DOSBOX core is the best way to go. Vanilla works, but some note cut-offs will happen if you don't have your DMXOPTION variables set. Even then, this may cut notes. I was aiming for sound quality with source ports that can run multiple OPL3 chips, but I may release a cut-down version later. For the IWADs though, it's just fine.

Download the last GENMIDI version from Github: HERE! (v2.11d)
Download WAD from idgames: HERE and HERE (v2.7)

This works with everything, from Doom to Strife to whatever hasn't been made yet! It even works in Raptor, if you wanted to try something like that!

But don't take my word for it, here are some satisfied customers:

"HELL TO THE YES" - Jimmy
"Yeaaaaa I've been waiting for this for years!" - Jaxxoon R
"This is going into my autoload immediately. This is pretty much perfect." - Blastfrog
"These sound fantastic." - Esselfortium
"This passes the Angry Science test!" - Xaser
"I can't say if this is better or worse." - Voros
"I can't even hear the difference, but whatever." - bzzrak

But what does it sound like, you ask?

This is a demo of DMXOPL v1.8.2 . Current version is v2.12, so that will sound even better or something.

For comparison, this is what Doom shipped with:

Yeah, that sounds like hot garbage now, doesn't it?

Thanks, and have fun!
Last edited by Csonicgo on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:08 am, edited 6 times in total.
InsanityBringer

Re: DMXOPL - Making YMF262/YM3812 Tolerable

Post by InsanityBringer »

I never grew up with OPL synth cards, always wavetable stuff, so when I remember zd got the OPL emulator for the first time, I was loading it up expecting something awesome since everyone was talking about their fond memories of the OPL. I was fairly disappointed by what I actually heard. This on the other hand is quite good and I've been using it for playing. Its a lot nicer than the original, in my eyes (or ears I guess).

A little side question, since I really am unfamiliar with OPL stuff: Are things supposed to sound uh, "screechy" on occasion? I'm using nuked in foo_midi and some songs (especially the Descent II MIDIs) sound rather screechy. It seems overall accurate to the videos you've posted for Doom things, though. I don't know if this is general purpose enough for the Descent midis, since they've always seemed quite a bit odd. A recording of Descent 2's map 4 song
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

InsanityBringer wrote:I never grew up with OPL synth cards, always wavetable stuff, so when I remember zd got the OPL emulator for the first time, I was loading it up expecting something awesome since everyone was talking about their fond memories of the OPL. I was fairly disappointed by what I actually heard. This on the other hand is quite good and I've been using it for playing. Its a lot nicer than the original, in my eyes (or ears I guess).

A little side question, since I really am unfamiliar with OPL stuff: Are things supposed to sound uh, "screechy" on occasion? I'm using nuked in foo_midi and some songs (especially the Descent II MIDIs) sound rather screechy. It seems overall accurate to the videos you've posted for Doom things, though. I don't know if this is general purpose enough for the Descent midis, since they've always seemed quite a bit odd. A recording of Descent 2's map 4 song
That's a bug in foo_midi and other devices that use ADLMIDI, unfortunately. Some midis just make it splatter like mad, although this never happens in ZDoom or Vanilla at all. It's been the most frustrating thing I've come across yet. Some midi files are unlistenable because the output is so loud.

Basically Foobar's gain control is busted, Along with ADLMidi, and until that's fixed, you're going to hear splatter. It sucks. I've never heard splatter-distortion testing these on original hardware.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Aww, that's kind of a shame. Toying around with the settings in GZDoom, Descent 2's GAME04 starts sounding a lot nicer, but its still seems a bit off. All I can say is that the Descent music is weird, man

EDIT: oh hey, would you look at that. The .HMQ versions of the Descent 2 music are actually fairly listenable. Who would have thought? heh. Comparison conversion. I think I had kinda assumed the "normal" versions would have worked due to the presumably general purpose nature of this whole thing, but I guess not.
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

I'm picking this back up and am expecting to have a new release on October. Percussion at different velocities have been greatly improved, as well as the overall mix with double voices. The focus has been shifted from IWAD music to modern megawads and DM packs with custom music.
Csonicgo

Re: DMXOPL: OPL-3 Madness! (v1.10 RC1, August 10 2017)

Post by Csonicgo »

And as I promised and then immediately broke said promise, v1.10-RC1 is out.
Sample:
DenisBelmondo

Re: DMXOPL: OPL-3 Madness! (v1.10 RC1, August 10 2017)

Post by DenisBelmondo »

This sounds really great! I've been waiting for an alternative to GEMIDI01 and this really hits the spot. The harps and the oboe (?) in that sample video sound strikingly similar to their wavetable equivalents, as far as OPL can go.
Csonicgo

Re: DMXOPL: OPL3 Madness! (v2.8)

Post by Csonicgo »

New update! A big one! It's OPL3 only now, but oh well!
Csonicgo

Re: DMXOPL: OPL3 Madness! (v2.12)

Post by Csonicgo »

Good news! This might be in GZDoom in a way I've always wanted - a dedicated midi device. Hooray?
Akatsuki

Post by Akatsuki »

Hooray?
Hooray!
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

Cool, I've basically had it in my autoload list since you released it.
Csonicgo

Re: DMXOPL: OPL3 Madness! (Now included in GZDOOM)

Post by Csonicgo »

DMXOPL is officially now in GZDOOM. I'm now in a source port that people use. Eep.
Sgt Nate V

Post by Sgt Nate V »

Any chance this can become a soundfont?
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

Sgt Nate V wrote:Any chance this can become a soundfont?
What for? There is an OPL3 synth driver here for windows, you can just swap those genmidi files with that presented in here and enjoy.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=36667
Sgt Nate V

Post by Sgt Nate V »

Darkcrafter wrote:
Sgt Nate V wrote:Any chance this can become a soundfont?
What for? There is an OPL3 synth driver here for windows, you can just swap those genmidi files with that presented in here and enjoy.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=36667
Well, first of all, I like having my MIDI sounds all in one thing, and second, well I installed the Windows OPL driver and I have no fucking clue where it installed to.

EDIT: Turns out I have to put it in it's own directory. Why the fuck can't I put it in my documents folder like everything else?

EDIT2: Ok, I put the opl2 files in the ass-hatted directory like it told me to and it still doesn't work. Does this require Windows Media Player to work? If so, then fuck, because one day it literally stopped playing MIDIs and there's no obvious goddamn reason why. I even uninstalled Virtual MIDISynth, my MIDI soundfont selector, to try to fix it and even that didn't work.

EDIT3: Virtual MIDISynth gives me this when I check the list of devices for Windows Media Player:
Screenshot (68).png
Remember how I said that Media Player won't play MIDIS anymore? That makes that whole damn thing fucking useless.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”