(stealth edit 10/18/17)[WIP] Doom AMP (doom w/ soundfonts)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

What Bitrates/Formats would you prefer to use?

OGG (320kbs)
27%
OGG (other bitrate)
19%
MP3 (320kbs)
12%
MP3 (other bitrate)
8%
WAV (16-bit)
12%
WAV (other bitrate)
4%
FLAC
19%
Other format
No votes

Total votes : 26

(stealth edit 10/18/17)[WIP] Doom AMP (doom w/ soundfonts)

Postby Airos » Wed May 10, 2017 2:30 am

Doom AMP! Now with 100% more animated gif.

I've chosen a catchy project name, hopefully I can keep it. What remains to be seen is if I've hit my peak creativity making that animated gif. What's the AMP stand for? Airos' Music Project? Airos' Music Packs? *sigh* :roll: Another Music project? Artichoke Mushroom Pizza? Take your pick, I'm easy.

In between spurts of original Doom music, I'm going to mess around with some other midi files and soundfonts as well, and try my hand at making my own "mixtape" of sorts. Or maybe not, and I'll just dump everything into a few different folders and let everyone else figure out what they want to listen to. I'm not sure yet.

10/18/17 stealth edit - Removed Google Drive link due to storage constraints.
05/17/17 UPDATE 1 - Doom 2 is now complete. - I've figured out a project name!
Spoiler: Previous updates

Spoiler: Current Project Banners **UPDATED 05/17/17**

Spoiler: YouTube preview:

Spoiler: CREDITS.TXT **UPDATED 05/17/17**

The Music Inferno (a.k.a. "The Download Links")

Timbres of Heaven - MEGA (Link to folders - choose your format from within)
  • Ultimate Doom COMPLETE!
  • Doom 2 COMPLETE!
  • Final Doom (TNT) pending

So what is this project, anyways?

I was inspired by the SC-55 Music Packs by MusicallyInspired (the irony has not been lost on me), so I set off to find some neat soundfonts and see just how many times I can "remix" the original tracks before I get bored or everyone else does (whichever comes first).

I'm not a musician. I am not an artist. I'm just someone who is messing around with the very basics of tools I barely understand. I'm doing some stuff and I think it's neat, so I'm sharing it here for others to take or leave as they please. I'm open to feedback, however I'm aiming to do as little editing as possible to preserve the idea that this is "pure" Doom music with nothing but the fonts swapped out. Broadly speaking, that's going to mean using General MIDI soundfonts to ensure all the appropriate instruments are available. More specifically, it means I'm also not going to adjust the volume levels or balance, those are set to default values and shall remain there. If you find these tracks to be loud, please lower your volume (I'm also not an editor, so if there is a compelling reason why I should make a change to my recording methods that allows me to maintain my goals, I remain open to feedback).

These music tracks will be available in multiple flavors - 320kbs MP3, 320kbs OGG, and FLAC to start, and may change according to feedback. If you'd like to compress them further, feel free. I have enough work to do just handling three formats per midi (across two file hosts).

There is a 5 track demo available (E1M1-E1M4 and BUNNY), with a plan of releasing full replacements for Ultimate Doom and Doom 2, (with the possibility of TNT, however I see no compelling reason to compile a pack for Plutonia). When I'm done with that, I'll pick a new font and repeat the process.

The demo is in a gameplay-friendly format (however it is my understanding that MP3 files do not loop, so remember to use OGG for gameplay), just plug the zip into your favorite source port with or without optionally renaming the file extension to .pk3 (disclaimer, this was only tested with GZDoom 3.0, YMMV). The files have tags and album art if you'd prefer to plug them into your favorite media player instead (and please do provide feedback if you feel any of my tags are incorrect or inappropriate).
Last edited by Airos on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
Airos
Rawr, I'm a tiger

Discord: Airos#3333

Re: (UPDATE 05/11/17)[WIP] Doom music with different soundfo

Postby Armaetus » Thu May 11, 2017 8:46 pm

I did not know there was a new version of this soundfont, I still have 2.0.
Armaetus
RDND, Maps of Chaos and Obsidian Dev

Discord: Armaetus#8512
Github ID: GlaiceOldSchoolRTS
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Re: (UPDATE 05/11/17)[WIP] Doom music with different soundfo

Postby Airos » Wed May 17, 2017 5:53 am

Glaice wrote:I did not know there was a new version of this soundfont, I still have 2.0.

I've only just begun to explore soundfonts, so 3.4 is the only version I'm currently familiar with. Are there appreciable differences between the two versions?
Airos
Rawr, I'm a tiger

Discord: Airos#3333

Re: (UPDATE 05/17/17)[WIP] Doom AMP (doom w/ soundfonts)

Postby Armaetus » Sat May 20, 2017 4:12 pm

I really don't know, I haven't used Timbers of Heaven very much as my soundfont.
Armaetus
RDND, Maps of Chaos and Obsidian Dev

Discord: Armaetus#8512
Github ID: GlaiceOldSchoolRTS
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Return to Graphic/Audio Patches