Universal Doom 2 Intermission Screen Mod (+ OBLIGE Addon)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

(Visual Doom 2 campaign progress tracker, especially neat with OBLIGE maps!)

DOWNLOAD HERE

NEW! Now as an OBLIGE Addon!
Thanks to the_darknut_rises, there is now a native OBLIGE addon that will automatically include this mod with any Doom 2 map.
the_darknut_rises wrote:I took the liberty of turning this into an Oblige addon:

(Dropbox Mirror)https://www.dropbox.com/s/oked0rtovcmg5 ... n.pk3?dl=0
(Moddb Mirror)http://www.moddb.com/mods/universal-doo ... donedition

Download that pk3 and save it in your Oblige addons directory. Then enable it through the addon list in the menu and check the box for the module.

Then when you generate a wad Oblige will insert the graphics, music, INTM and MAPINFO lumps into it, adjusting for 1, 4, 11 or 32 levels depending on your settings. So that wad will run with the universal intermission screen without needing to load any additional wads/pk3s.
To use this edition of the mod, do this:
1. Download and install OBLIGE 7.50 (http://oblige.sourceforge.net/)
2. Download this mod, unzip it, place it in the "Addons" folder inside OBLIGE's directory.
3. Run OBLIGE 7.50.
4. Press the "Menu" button and select "Addon List".
5. Make sure "UniversalIntermission.pk3" is ticked on.
6. Press Close and Restart OBLIGE.
7. Make sure you're generating a Doom 2 map by having Game: in Game Settings be set to Doom 2.
8. On the right-side section of OBLIGE, which is called the "Custom Modules", make sure the module "Universal Intermission Screens is ticked on.
9. Now any Doom 2 maps you generate with OBLIGE will automatically have this mod included.

Explanation what this mod is:

This mod won't make sense without mentioning OBLIGE first, the procedural random level generator for Doom games.
If you don't know about it yet, check it out here, its really good:
http://oblige.sourceforge.net/

Basically, OBLIGE allows me, the player, to create complete mapsets all the way from packs of 1 level, 4 levels, 11 levels or the full 32 levels.

However, the annoying thing is that during these campaigns of freshly generated 32 map megawads, Doom 2's original scripting of the campaign still remains present, meaning that at levels MAP07, MAP12, MAP21 and MAP30, the same damn text intermissions keep popping up, ruining immersion.

More over, I miss the Intermission Screen from Doom1, where I have a birds-eye view of the whole area I'm going through. It gave a sense of meaning and satisfaction, making the whole campaign feel like there was actual progress made and that each level meant something. That the actions mattered. Doom 2 does not have this type of screen.

So thats what this mod is, a visual intermission screen that concretely shows my progress and removes the immersion ruining text sequences that were meant for default Doom 2 playthroughs only. This is what it looks like:

Features:
  • 4 Versions for each OBLIGE setting. 1 Map, 4 Maps, 11 Maps and 32 Maps.
  • Custom graphics with an animated strip.
  • New music, replacing the reading, intermission and D2 title tracks.
  • Built as a universal mod, will work with any regular 32 map megawad.
  • Built as a template for other modders to freely use as they want.
  • Flow of intermission favors action-oriented gameplay and has reminders for secrets and final levels.
  • Appreciates your effort and gives a simple, yet conclusive ending to each playthrough.

The other issue is that OBLIGE mapsets can be generated with different themes, such as Tech, Urban or Hell, so having a custom made drawn map wouldn't make sense. I wanted it to be abstract, hence why I made it the way it is. But, this is where you come in!

This mod is a template you can REMIX!

You are completely free to do anything you want with this mod. Remix it, copy it, repurpose it and release your own version of this mod. Include it with your megawads, do it in your own style and use it as a base for anything you want. I will appreciate credit if given (and I will feel happy about it), but it is not required. I don't want to "own" this mod or restrict anyone's creativity with copyright bs.

Basically, do whatever the hell you want with this mod.

Here is a template:

Download the mod, save the template image above and go nuts. Rip and tear this mod into your image!

DOWNLOAD HERE

Credits:
ZDoom modding community for all the existing mods, hard work and guts that inspired me to try and make this.
ZDoom modding community for helping me figure out how to do this mod.
ZDoom modding community for some textures I got from the Custom Texture Thread.
Machinae Supremacy for the music (Jets n Guns OST)

Other Mod Recommendations:
OBLIGE - Procedural Doom Map Generator:
http://oblige.sourceforge.net/

SynthDoom.pk3 - Music Replacement Pack of INTENSE ACTION of 80' retro futuristic synthwave soundtrack:
http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/addo ... -for-doom2

Universal Addon Collection for Doom 2:
http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/addo ... onfordoom2

Plus any of your favorite gameplay mods, such as Russian Overkill, Brutal Doom, JohnnyDoom, Project Brutality, Guncaster, D4D, Trailblazer, Lithium, HXRTC, Demonsteele, MetaDoom and many more.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Spaceman333 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Universal Doom 2 Intermission Screen Mod

Post by Hellser »

I'll have to say. I like the concept. The scrolling caution tape / arrows at the bottom plays havoc on my eyes. I slowed it down to 2 tics instead of 1 and it seems to be better now. Regardless, good job.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Hmm. I didn't considered that could happen. The whole idea of the scrolling tape was to provide a sense of momentum during the transition from level to level to fit the new intermission music that plays on the screen, while being something that I wouldn't intentionally look at, but just have in the background. I think it may be the size of the scrolling tape and the high contrast that triggers the effect you had.

I tried looking at it directly just now and yeah, I felt it too. I don't recommend doing that. Do not look directly into the red scrolling tape.
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Seems this is a nice complement for playing those Oblige and Obhack megawads, gotta check it... :yup:

Thanks for the addon! 8-)
the_darknut_rises

Post by the_darknut_rises »

I took the liberty of turning this into an Oblige addon:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oked0rtovcmg5 ... n.pk3?dl=0

Download that pk3 and save it in your Oblige addons directory. Then enable it through the addon list in the menu and check the box for the module.

Then when you generate a wad Oblige will insert the graphics, music, INTM and MAPINFO lumps into it, adjusting for 1, 4, 11 or 32 levels depending on your settings. So that wad will run with the universal intermission screen without needing to load any additional wads/pk3s. Let me know what you think/if I introduced any horrible bugs.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

the_darknut_rises wrote:I took the liberty of turning this into an Oblige addon:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oked0rtovcmg5 ... n.pk3?dl=0

Then when you generate a wad Oblige will insert the graphics, music, INTM and MAPINFO lumps into it, adjusting for 1, 4, 11 or 32 levels depending on your settings. So that wad will run with the universal intermission screen without needing to load any additional wads/pk3s. Let me know what you think/if I introduced any horrible bugs.
Oh man, thats hella cool!

Didn't see this until today. I'll test it out and put it up on the first post with credit to you afterwards.
This is super useful. Thank you for making it! :D
Spaceman333

Re: Universal Doom 2 Intermission Screen Mod (+ OBLIGE Addon

Post by Spaceman333 »

Finally got around officially adding it to the main post. I've tested the Oblige addon thoroughly and it works flawlessly.
Its now featured in the first post and has a Moddb mirror for it. Thank you again the_darknut_rises! :)
Yeldham

Post by Yeldham »

The Oblige add-on doesn't work with the latest version (7.666).
the_darknut_rises

Post by the_darknut_rises »

Yeldham wrote:The Oblige add-on doesn't work with the latest version (7.666).
Works for me. What seems to be the problem?
Yeldham

Post by Yeldham »

the_darknut_rises wrote:
Yeldham wrote:The Oblige add-on doesn't work with the latest version (7.666).
Works for me. What seems to be the problem?
The generated campaign lacks anything from the addon.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”