Page 4 of 6

Re: [v0.2.0] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:47 am
by Jimmy
Xaser wrote:or all shootable objects (including barrels)


:D

Re: [v0.2.0] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:07 pm
by Hexereticdoom
Yay, another update! Gonna check it out ASAP! :)

Please keep going with the nice work! :thumb:

Re: [v0.2.0] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:29 pm
by DarkkOne
This is so satisfying in Hexen. Punching Ettins and seeing the numbers fly off really feels like it was something that was just missing from the game all this time. Combined with coldcite's "Top HP Bars" and it somehow manages to feel like a whole new game. Other than additional font support, I can't imagine anything else I'd even want from this mod. It's great!

Re: [v1.0.0] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:36 pm
by Xaser
Waaahooo! Version 1.0.0 is released! : https://static.angryscience.net/pub/doom/mods/damnums/

I've filled out the full roster of fonts (every IWAD sans freedoom/blasphemer, and then some), added support for damagetypes (mod-extensible! see the OP) and moved some options to be user-side, for better multiplayer support.

Barring any bugs or shenanigans, this is pretty much finished. Holy goat!


@DarkkOne: agreed re:Top HP Bars; I plugged it in the OP. :D

Re: [v1.0.0] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:47 pm
by guineu
Been playing a bit with DamNums + Top HP Bars. It's a great combo, trying to go back instantly feels like something is missing.

One suggestion, not sure how hard to implement it would be / useful for other people; but I think having a "reset to default values" in the DamNums options could be useful.

Re: [v1.0.0] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:57 pm
by Xaser
Hmm, a "reset to defaults" command would technically be possible now that menus are ZScriptable, but I don't know how difficult it is since I haven't mucked around with that area just yet. Worth looking into, at least.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! :D

Re: [v1.0.0] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:57 pm
by argv
Glad to see Doom modders embracing version control. :D

Any chance you could publish the release pk3s on the GitHub Releases page?

Re: [v1.0.0] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:20 pm
by LSWraith
I don't know if I'm dumb or something, but I can't get this to run. I know I need to get it to compile to a pk3, but using the "makefile" file isn't working for me.

Sorry if the answer is obvious, but again, I'm dumb.

Re: [v1.0.0] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:57 pm
by wildweasel
LSWraith wrote:I don't know if I'm dumb or something, but I can't get this to run. I know I need to get it to compile to a pk3, but using the "makefile" file isn't working for me.

Sorry if the answer is obvious, but again, I'm dumb.

Try downloading one of the pk3s from the release archive instead, unless you absolutely need a bleeding-edge Git build for some reason.

Re: [v1.0.0] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:16 am
by Xaser
I do hope to someday come up with a sane cross-platform build pipeline that doesn't involve a massive amount of irrelevant junk (e.g. nodejs, the nearest virtual sledgehammer sitting next to me when I set it up). Make is always a solid bet, but I need to tinker with it a bunch to make it work properly on Windows, unless anyone's got any ready-made suggestions there.

argv wrote:Glad to see Doom modders embracing version control. :D

Any chance you could publish the release pk3s on the GitHub Releases page?


Heh, I ought to do that. The topic just came up yesterday in another context, and I notice it's pretty easy to modify existing Git tags and upload "binaries" on GitHub. Best if I do that since the source code zips GH auto-provides aren't directly loadable into *ZDoom since the pk3 structure is in a subdirectory.

And yeah, now that I've started using Git for modding, I can't imagine how I lived without it. I just recently had a mishap with another mod (Eriguns) where folks ran into a pretty severe bug in the latest public release which I'd fixed in my local copy (but never uploaded). I spent ages running around in circles trying to reproduce the issue because there were no changelogs or commit history to fall back to. Naturally, the project uses Git now, for everyone's mental health. :P

Re: [v1.0.0] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:50 am
by Lord Misfit
Git is nice, though it comes at the possible downside that changelogs are harder to keep track of when you're constantly updating your repository for small reasons or just to keep your progress saved. Makes me wish the forums had a github/git repo output widget so we can have the last [x] of updates show on the first post or so and we don't have to be as worried about remembering things in the changelog. :V

Re: [v1.0.0] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:19 am
by Xaser
For DamNums and ARGENT, I use Github Changelog Generator to auto-generate a CHANGELOG.md from GitHub Issues. I always keep an Issue on file for any notable change/request/whatnot just as part of my workflow, and the generator automatically matches tags to milestones if they're named the same. Handy stuff.

The actual commit history itself is plenty verbose since I commit a ton, but it's naturally super-handy to have a full record of everything, just in case.

Re: [v1.0.0] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:08 pm
by argv
> I do hope to someday come up with a sane cross-platform build pipeline that doesn't involve a massive amount of irrelevant junk (e.g. nodejs, the nearest virtual sledgehammer sitting next to me when I set it up). Make is always a solid bet, but I need to tinker with it a bunch to make it work properly on Windows, unless anyone's got any ready-made suggestions there.

Make is also brittle and has extremely poor portability (because it runs external shell commands with no mechanism for installing any that are missing). You're better off keeping Node, IMO.

> Heh, I ought to do that. The topic just came up yesterday in another context, and I notice it's pretty easy to modify existing Git tags and upload "binaries" on GitHub. Best if I do that since the source code zips GH auto-provides aren't directly loadable into *ZDoom since the pk3 structure is in a subdirectory.

Note that modern *ZDoom does support loading archives that contain a single subdirectory (see relevant thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=53522). If a module doesn't need to be built at all, then you should be able to play the source code zip directly.

> And yeah, now that I've started using Git for modding, I can't imagine how I lived without it. I just recently had a mishap with another mod (Eriguns) where folks ran into a pretty severe bug in the latest public release which I'd fixed in my local copy (but never uploaded). I spent ages running around in circles trying to reproduce the issue because there were no changelogs or commit history to fall back to. Naturally, the project uses Git now, for everyone's mental health. :P

I've been using Mercurial for modding for some years now. It's particularly been a lifesaver for dealing with Brutal Doom and its bugs, hacks, and messy code, and for keeping my changes merged with new official releases. Lots of bookmarking (Mercurial's equivalent to Git branches), merging, cherry-picking, etc. In case you're curious, the repo is here: https://bitbucket.org/argv/brutal-doom

Re: [v1.0.0] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:28 pm
by Outtagum
This is a brilliant addition to ZDoom. It really adds a nice tangible effect to the damage the player is doing. I love it.

If you're still working on this, I wonder if it's possible to add an option to colour the numbers according to the monsters' blood? I use nashgore and I would love to shoot a Caco and see blue numbers fly off as well as, say, green numbers flying off a Hellknight injured by splash damage. :)

Re: [v1.0.0] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:32 pm
by argv
It does color the numbers—for different damage types. Blue is for plasma damage, for instance.