[v1.0.2] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Xaser

Re: [v0.1.1] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

Post by Xaser »

@jpalomo: That's certainly something eventually-doable. Now that we have scripted menus, I can technically craft pretty much anything. :P

If I tackle that, it'd be pretty low-priority, though.

@unRyker: Deferring number spawn to some time later than "next tic" is pretty complicated, so I'm not quite sure I want to add that to the to-do list. HUD-placed damage numbers don't seem particularly useful since they'd just get overwritten each time you shoot a new thing, and whatever the system is would need to work well with custom HUDs. With apologies for rainclouding.

While on the topic of menus, it dawned on me that I wasn't using the new AddOptionMenu feature for plunking the mod options in, so I've gone ahead and released a v0.1.1 version that remedies this. Now it ought not conflict with mods that have custom MENUDEFs.
unRyker

Post by unRyker »

Actually what you mentioned for the HUD getting overwritten was exactly how it worked in TF2's custom huds and I liked it! The purpose of that feature in my mind was for long-distance damage-dealt so you can at least get a glimpse of the kind of numbers you're dealing rather than seeing specks in the distance.

For the number placement, you as the author isn't obliged to make it work with custom HUDs (and neither are the HUD devs) but you can always leave the placement of the HUD-Damage up to us for modifying in the PK3 for our personal preference with a short tidbit of what does what for easy moving inside the files. It can always be defaulted to off with a disclaimer that it's experimental and prone to change. Just an idea I'll throw out there.

Anyways, I've been fooling around with this some more and I had no idea how useful it was-- and even I had an idea of how useful it was going to be. I've been saving a lot more ammo with other weapons and picking more unfair fights against others with this on. It's pretty much become an essential mod for me for not only surviving but conservation and being less annoyed with the heavily RNG nature of Doom. Now if only someone can help me with the fixed weapon spread I've been going off for months about!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

This is a really well done little mod, and very interesting too. When you hit a spiderdemon with the BFG and see numbers like 600 for the initial hit and 2000+ for the secondary, you realise just why you can take down the spider so quickly with a BFG.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Thanks! It's pretty exciting that we're finally able to make (hopefully-)safe "drop it in and it Just Works(tm)" stuff like this now.

Also, it just dawned on me that I should load it with ARGENT and use it for balance testing. Holy moly, accidental personal usefulness. o_O

@unRyker: Well, I won't totally put it on the "No" list, though it's a "maybe" still. If that helps. :P
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Something I just noticed that you may, or may not want to change: the numbers cause a splash when they hit a liquid surface.

Most of the time it isn't noticeable because the number has actually despawned/fadedaway by the time it hits the floor but in some of the deeper water areas of my Waterlab map, for example, splashes would occur. In that case it was particularly odd because the numbers were all but invisible by the time they hit the water surface and so there were splashes happening for apparently no good reason sometimes.

Obviously, adding the +DONTSPLASH flag to the relevant actor would cure this.
Last edited by Enjay on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Heh, whoops! Consider it future-fixed. :P
Sleepyhead

Post by Sleepyhead »

Yes! Here's the update for DamNums I've been waiting for. This functions every bit as well as I'd have hoped. Thank you very much, Xaser! This helps a lot with maximizing DPS since I can actually see how much damage I'm doing, particularly when it comes to modded weapons. I also like that it works even when it comes to monsters infighting; gives me an idea of how hard they're hitting too.

Oh, and I hate being the bearer of bad news but it seems I can only load either DukeShadows or this; not both. The one loaded depends on the load order (I either get monster shadows OR damage numbers) but I haven't been able to find a load order that makes them both work simultaneously. It's not really a big deal, I can live without it but I figured I'd just bring it up.
Lan Grillo

Post by Lan Grillo »

I was hoping someone would make a mod like this and thank you very very much. But i really can't make it work, do i need any doom configuration activated? im using GZDoom, in version 0.1.1 i get this error message

Script error, "damnums_0.1.1.pk3:menudef.txt" line 1:
Unknown keyword 'AddOptionMenu'

And in the 0.1.0 version the game works and the options are there but the numbers are not showing up
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

What version is your GZDoom? It may not be up to date.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Sleepyhead wrote:Oh, and I hate being the bearer of bad news but it seems I can only load either DukeShadows or this; not both.
Well -- this absolutely should not be happening. Looking at the two mods, this ought to be a perfect demo of the "works with anything" concept, yet it's not. My guess is that one event handler (or its MAPINFO registration) is clobbering the other, which can't not be an engine issue. :/

Tested and confirmed at any rate, so thanks for reporting.
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

What a damn useful addon, hahaha! Really love it! :wub:

Congratulations for it, very cool job. I'm keeping tuned for new updates! :thumb:
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Opened a new issue -- I can't find anything wrong in either mod.

Glad folks are enjoying this -- hopefully the "universal" bit will get back on track.
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Happy to report that so far, no problems arise when using this with Bullet-Eye. I would also like to note that this is quite useful for testing purposes, allowing me to know if a certain damage effect is triggering too early, damage is too high, etc.

Thanks for this!
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

It might be caused by broken AddEventHandlers functionality (EventHandlers and AddEventHandlers had swapped effect). Should work in devbuilds.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

@ZZYZX: Sure 'nuff. Turns out it's already been fixed -- and my reproduction of the issue was done on the latest release build by mistake. Welp. :P

In the meantime, it's a thing to keep an eye out for.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”