[v1.0.2] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [v0.2.0] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

Post by Jimmy »

Xaser wrote:or all shootable objects (including barrels)
:D
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Yay, another update! Gonna check it out ASAP! :)

Please keep going with the nice work! :thumb:
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11

Post by DarkkOne »

This is so satisfying in Hexen. Punching Ettins and seeing the numbers fly off really feels like it was something that was just missing from the game all this time. Combined with coldcite's "Top HP Bars" and it somehow manages to feel like a whole new game. Other than additional font support, I can't imagine anything else I'd even want from this mod. It's great!
Xaser

Re: [v1.0.0] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

Post by Xaser »

Waaahooo! Version 1.0.0 is released! : https://static.angryscience.net/pub/doom/mods/damnums/

I've filled out the full roster of fonts (every IWAD sans freedoom/blasphemer, and then some), added support for damagetypes (mod-extensible! see the OP) and moved some options to be user-side, for better multiplayer support.

Barring any bugs or shenanigans, this is pretty much finished. Holy goat!

@DarkkOne: agreed re:Top HP Bars; I plugged it in the OP. :D
guineu

Post by guineu »

Been playing a bit with DamNums + Top HP Bars. It's a great combo, trying to go back instantly feels like something is missing.

One suggestion, not sure how hard to implement it would be / useful for other people; but I think having a "reset to default values" in the DamNums options could be useful.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Hmm, a "reset to defaults" command would technically be possible now that menus are ZScriptable, but I don't know how difficult it is since I haven't mucked around with that area just yet. Worth looking into, at least.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! :D
argv

Post by argv »

Glad to see Doom modders embracing version control. :D

Any chance you could publish the release pk3s on the GitHub Releases page?
LSWraith

Post by LSWraith »

I don't know if I'm dumb or something, but I can't get this to run. I know I need to get it to compile to a pk3, but using the "makefile" file isn't working for me.

Sorry if the answer is obvious, but again, I'm dumb.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

LSWraith wrote:I don't know if I'm dumb or something, but I can't get this to run. I know I need to get it to compile to a pk3, but using the "makefile" file isn't working for me.

Sorry if the answer is obvious, but again, I'm dumb.
Try downloading one of the pk3s from the release archive instead, unless you absolutely need a bleeding-edge Git build for some reason.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I do hope to someday come up with a sane cross-platform build pipeline that doesn't involve a massive amount of irrelevant junk (e.g. nodejs, the nearest virtual sledgehammer sitting next to me when I set it up). Make is always a solid bet, but I need to tinker with it a bunch to make it work properly on Windows, unless anyone's got any ready-made suggestions there.
argv wrote:Glad to see Doom modders embracing version control. :D

Any chance you could publish the release pk3s on the GitHub Releases page?
Heh, I ought to do that. The topic just came up yesterday in another context, and I notice it's pretty easy to modify existing Git tags and upload "binaries" on GitHub. Best if I do that since the source code zips GH auto-provides aren't directly loadable into *ZDoom since the pk3 structure is in a subdirectory.

And yeah, now that I've started using Git for modding, I can't imagine how I lived without it. I just recently had a mishap with another mod (Eriguns) where folks ran into a pretty severe bug in the latest public release which I'd fixed in my local copy (but never uploaded). I spent ages running around in circles trying to reproduce the issue because there were no changelogs or commit history to fall back to. Naturally, the project uses Git now, for everyone's mental health. :P
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

Git is nice, though it comes at the possible downside that changelogs are harder to keep track of when you're constantly updating your repository for small reasons or just to keep your progress saved. Makes me wish the forums had a github/git repo output widget so we can have the last [x] of updates show on the first post or so and we don't have to be as worried about remembering things in the changelog. :V
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

For DamNums and ARGENT, I use Github Changelog Generator to auto-generate a CHANGELOG.md from GitHub Issues. I always keep an Issue on file for any notable change/request/whatnot just as part of my workflow, and the generator automatically matches tags to milestones if they're named the same. Handy stuff.

The actual commit history itself is plenty verbose since I commit a ton, but it's naturally super-handy to have a full record of everything, just in case.
argv

Post by argv »

> I do hope to someday come up with a sane cross-platform build pipeline that doesn't involve a massive amount of irrelevant junk (e.g. nodejs, the nearest virtual sledgehammer sitting next to me when I set it up). Make is always a solid bet, but I need to tinker with it a bunch to make it work properly on Windows, unless anyone's got any ready-made suggestions there.

Make is also brittle and has extremely poor portability (because it runs external shell commands with no mechanism for installing any that are missing). You're better off keeping Node, IMO.

> Heh, I ought to do that. The topic just came up yesterday in another context, and I notice it's pretty easy to modify existing Git tags and upload "binaries" on GitHub. Best if I do that since the source code zips GH auto-provides aren't directly loadable into *ZDoom since the pk3 structure is in a subdirectory.

Note that modern *ZDoom does support loading archives that contain a single subdirectory (see relevant thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=53522). If a module doesn't need to be built at all, then you should be able to play the source code zip directly.

> And yeah, now that I've started using Git for modding, I can't imagine how I lived without it. I just recently had a mishap with another mod (Eriguns) where folks ran into a pretty severe bug in the latest public release which I'd fixed in my local copy (but never uploaded). I spent ages running around in circles trying to reproduce the issue because there were no changelogs or commit history to fall back to. Naturally, the project uses Git now, for everyone's mental health. :P

I've been using Mercurial for modding for some years now. It's particularly been a lifesaver for dealing with Brutal Doom and its bugs, hacks, and messy code, and for keeping my changes merged with new official releases. Lots of bookmarking (Mercurial's equivalent to Git branches), merging, cherry-picking, etc. In case you're curious, the repo is here: https://bitbucket.org/argv/brutal-doom
Outtagum

Post by Outtagum »

This is a brilliant addition to ZDoom. It really adds a nice tangible effect to the damage the player is doing. I love it.

If you're still working on this, I wonder if it's possible to add an option to colour the numbers according to the monsters' blood? I use nashgore and I would love to shoot a Caco and see blue numbers fly off as well as, say, green numbers flying off a Hellknight injured by splash damage. :)
argv

Post by argv »

It does color the numbers—for different damage types. Blue is for plasma damage, for instance.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”