[v1.0.2] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [v1.0.2] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

Postby Lord Misfit » Fri May 03, 2019 7:59 pm

Not sure how much you're working on this right now, but I had an idea for a suggestion: when enemies get hit and take damage, they emit a sound akin to Quake 3 Arena when you hit an opponent, as an togglable option. I added this recently to my own mod, by adding the sound code into the "override int DamageMobj" part of the central monster actor [you can do your own method of course], but have the monster taking damage use A_PlaySound on an unused sound channel.

Just a suggestion though. o.o

If you want me to try to add it myself sometime for you, I could make an attempt at it, but it might not happen immediately due to my own workload at the moment. :P
User avatar
Lord Misfit
Servant of Aetherius? Servant of Siel?
 
Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Location: Canton, OH
Discord: Lord Misfit#9594

Re: [v1.0.2] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

Postby namsan » Fri May 03, 2019 8:04 pm

Lord Misfit wrote:Not sure how much you're working on this right now, but I had an idea for a suggestion: when enemies get hit and take damage, they emit a sound akin to Quake 3 Arena when you hit an opponent, as an togglable option.

Try Hitmarkers mod, this mod has hitsound and killsound option (and you can choose sounds from Quake)
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=60356
User avatar
namsan
Loves English but hates Revenants
 
Joined: 31 Mar 2012
Location: Japan
Discord: Namsan#8146

Re: [v1.0.2] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

Postby StroggVorbis » Sat May 04, 2019 12:10 am

DabbingSquidward wrote:Dunno what causes this, but if the player is hit on some maps (discovered this with Joy of Mapping 4 & 5, so it might be because of scripted maps) more than one DamNum appears. e.g. Imp hits the player with a fireball for 6 damage, and two or more 6's are spewing out.

Edit: Didn't test if it has something to do with loading a saved game or of the aforementioned map compilations' built-in pistol start option.


Thanks to printinv, I found out that it's because for unknown reasons on some maps the player has more than one DamNumTracker in his inventory. That's why on each hit you get like 8 times the same number.

Valve Xaser pls fix :P
User avatar
StroggVorbis
Donut eat me pls!
 
Joined: 08 Nov 2017
Location: Germany
Operating System: Windows Vista/7 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [v1.0.2] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

Postby goldenmob72 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:08 am

This is really awesome dude!

You should Redneck Rampage , Duke Nukem , and Shadow Warrior [Classic] Fonts
User avatar
goldenmob72
GOLDƎN MOBSTƎЯ72
 
Joined: 14 Sep 2017
Discord: GOLDƎN MOBSTƎЯ#2196

Re: [v1.0.2] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

Postby NeuralStunner » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:55 pm

This is really useful for mod development as well, for getting an idea how much damage your weapons are doing in practice.

Minor suggestion: Put NOTIMEFREEZE on the numbers, so they'll still function properly under the powerup/cheat effect. (Otherwise they have a bad tendency to stack up and be unreadable.)
User avatar
NeuralStunner
An Exercise in Self-Indulgence
 
 
 
Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Location: Indiana, USA
Discord: NeuralStunner#1293
Operating System: Windows Vista/7 64-bit

Re: [v1.0.2] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

Postby StroggVorbis » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:40 pm

DabbingSquidward wrote:
DabbingSquidward wrote:Dunno what causes this, but if the player is hit on some maps (discovered this with Joy of Mapping 4 & 5, so it might be because of scripted maps) more than one DamNum appears. e.g. Imp hits the player with a fireball for 6 damage, and two or more 6's are spewing out.

Edit: Didn't test if it has something to do with loading a saved game or of the aforementioned map compilations' built-in pistol start option.


Thanks to printinv, I found out that it's because for unknown reasons on some maps the player has more than one DamNumTracker in his inventory. That's why on each hit you get like 8 times the same number.

Valve Xaser pls fix :P


I think I finally know why. If you enter a map that contains one or more voodoo dolls, you get an additional DamNumTracker for each of them.
User avatar
StroggVorbis
Donut eat me pls!
 
Joined: 08 Nov 2017
Location: Germany
Operating System: Windows Vista/7 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [v1.0.2] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

Postby Lippeth » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:37 am

I had no idea that something like this could be so satisfying to use, I guess the only thing cooler would be if the numbers were to separate from each other as they disappear, more like flying blood but with damage numbers, or if something like the ssg were to show the number from each bullet hit, like a small cloud of numbers.

Great job, this is autoload material for sure!
User avatar
Lippeth
Metalvangelist
 
Joined: 24 Apr 2013
Location: Lost Angeles

Re: [v1.0.2] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

Postby StroggVorbis » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Lippeth wrote:I had no idea that something like this could be so satisfying to use, I guess the only thing cooler would be if the numbers were to separate from each other as they disappear, more like flying blood but with damage numbers, or if something like the ssg were to show the number from each bullet hit, like a small cloud of numbers.

Great job, this is autoload material for sure!


There is. The mod adds "Damnums Options" to the menu, the setting is called shotgun spray.

You're welcome :D
User avatar
StroggVorbis
Donut eat me pls!
 
Joined: 08 Nov 2017
Location: Germany
Operating System: Windows Vista/7 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [v1.0.2] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

Postby Lippeth » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:47 pm

Thanks, I should've also read the first page as well. I just saw picture, download, make fun, ugg.

Very cool mod!
User avatar
Lippeth
Metalvangelist
 
Joined: 24 Apr 2013
Location: Lost Angeles

Re: [v1.0.2] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

Postby Starman the Blaziken » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:50 pm

Nice mod :D
I have a suggestion to add an IWAD font to this, FreeDoom. Not sure if you heard of it but it has been around for a while since 2001.
Starman the Blaziken
 
Joined: 08 Mar 2019
Location: United States, MI
Discord: Starman The Blaziken#2417
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Previous

Return to Graphic/Audio Patches

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests