[WIP] 2K UltraHD Texture Pack for Doom in the works.

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP] 2K UltraHD Texture Pack for Doom in the works.

Post by hoover1979 »

enderandrew wrote:I'll counter with saying I appreciate the work you're doing. I hope your back gets better!
Thanks for the kind words. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately my back was worse than expected and I have been on my back watching movies for a week now, on a diet of painkillers. I always bounce back though, and I hope it isn't like November 2015 when I couldn't stand up unassisted for 6 months. :cry:

I just need to rest so I can get back to work again, when my back comes good again.

But I won't let this beat me! I have pushed through this pain for 20 years now, and refuse to concede defeat. :wink:

I hope, by the time the pack is finished, that I get more hardware, plugins and further developed skills, to make a much more realistic texture pack! :D
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

hoover1979 wrote:I hope it isn't like November 2015 when I couldn't stand up unassisted for 6 months. :cry:
6 months was a very long November. ;) Sounds nasty. Chronic pain is a terrible thing.

I too appreciate and support your work on this pack and look forward to seeing more. :yup:
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Enjay wrote:
hoover1979 wrote:I hope it isn't like November 2015 when I couldn't stand up unassisted for 6 months. :cry:
6 months was a very long November. ;) Sounds nasty. Chronic pain is a terrible thing.

I too appreciate and support your work on this pack and look forward to seeing more. :yup:
Thanks for your support. :mrgreen:

When my back went out in November 2015, It didn't come good until May 2016. It seems to be coming good atm as I am once again able to post. However I need to still let it heal properly before I start going to town on Photoshop.
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

hidfan wrote:Quake Tenebrae engine was creating automatically normal and spec maps from the textures, that would be replaced if real ones were found on disk.
It's not the best scenario to prove the rendering is cool, but this makes an "always working feature", even for old or simple wads.
You can use doom3 or quake4 textures for your test, they are pretty good =)

About the Light source On Normal/Spec maps problem :
- I think it's more powerfull, and backwardcompatible/always working to aim for Screen Space Reflections as input of global lighting.(search for SSR in the article)
- Or autogenerated cube maps or spherical harmonics every 64 or 128 units (or more/less for performance/quality reasons). This could be used on monsters as well.
- projectiles/ dynamic lights can do the trick locally (but not everywhere in the level)

- without touching the lighting engine, parralax occlusion would modernise doom without removing it's retro feeling.
I wonder what @Graf Zahl thinks about this.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Could anyone recommend some other good Photoshop plugins I can look into?

I would be interested in secondary and tertiary plugins, to accompany Filter Forge. :D
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

the project is on hold due to a shoulder injury. I won't have any idea on when I can get back to work until I see an Orthopedic Surgeon in 7 days time. Typing with one hand is so awkward. :cry:
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

My shoulder is healing nicely and I have started back at work. I have not been doing much on the texture pack as I just bought a 8Gb Water Cooled GTX1080, and have been playing games in butter smooth 120fps .

When the novelty wears off I will devote lots of time on textures.
unRyker

Post by unRyker »

I haven't posted here at all because I didn't have very much to contribute or add but I have been interested in your project and concerned about your health. I'm glad you're feeling a lot better now, pal! Your last few posts in this thread has worried me. Obviously like most of the others who commented here, I really like how it redesigns the textures other than running the originals through some filters and calling it "high-quality". Just a question- for the ZDoom release, have you considered doing high-resolution decals?

Again, glad to see you're doing well!
Elias79

Post by Elias79 »

:mrgreen: Oh my doom :shock:
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

unRyker wrote:I haven't posted here at all because I didn't have very much to contribute or add but I have been interested in your project and concerned about your health. I'm glad you're feeling a lot better now, pal! Your last few posts in this thread has worried me. Obviously like most of the others who commented here, I really like how it redesigns the textures other than running the originals through some filters and calling it "high-quality". Just a question- for the ZDoom release, have you considered doing high-resolution decals?

Again, glad to see you're doing well!
Thank you for your words of support. :mrgreen:

I am back at work finishing up my latest tech wall redesign. It should be done in a week or less, then after tidying up the previous tech walls to further shade the beveling to match the latest tech wall I will work on others. My first priority is to get the textures done, without further compromising my bad back and shoulder, then I will work on brightmaps for GZdoom and possibly shinemaps for Doomsday, then I will look into Decals for GZDoom.

I'll have to slow my progress down to stay healthy, but in the future I plan on getting a recliner chair and a 120Hz projector so I can do hours of work without leaning forward and causing back issues. Now that I got the GTX1080 which has the required HDMI2.0 that the projector needs I will save up the cash to get the rest, then I can accelerate my workload.

The projector is around $1,500.00 and god knows what the recliner will cost as I will consult with an occupational therapist to find out which type would be most suitable for my back. Although I am not doing this for money I must treat this as if it is professional and always consider Occupational Health and Safety so I don't end up stagnant for so long due to injury ever again. This thread has shown me there are also others that are counting on me and I also don't wish to let them down either.

Luckily business is slow at my place of part-time employment and my supervisor is very supportive of my project so I am allowed to do it as Photoshop training (I work as a part-time graphic Designer) so there is at least 8 hours I can solidly work on in an office chair that supports my spine rather than leaning forward from a couch over a keyboard+mouse on a coffee table. The downside of converting my PC into a 3D 5.1 surround home theater in my lounge room.

When my setup is complete I can work lying back and with an 8 foot screen in front of me I can clearly see what I'm doing.

I also want to find out what other Photoshop plugins I can use as although Filter Forge is good, it won't do realistic, rustic wood which I wish to do for some textures, clean polished, almost plastic veneer looking wood won't cut it for those textures and I do not wish to fall short of my goal due to software restriction.

Also as I am self teaching, I am learning as I go so I will most likely revisit some of the textures I have already done and redo them with the better skills I will have in the future. This way I can release the best pack I can possibly do. At my work we don't use PhotoShop much and mainly use InDesign as we are m ore of a print design studio than an imagery based studio, although I am trying to convince the people upstairs to branch out to reach more customers.

If anyone knows of other plugins that can help in creating more realistic and worn wood, please inform me. I have more money to spend on plugins, and can also save more for the projector+recliner, now that I have quit smoking.

As soon as the tech wall I'm working on is finished I will upload it to my Deviantart and share a link here. But I must work slowly so I can keep moving forward. It was tough not being able to do anything for over a month.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Will you consider also doing sprites? And by sprites I don't mean monsters or player sprites, but stuff like item pickups and decorations, like the candelabra, the tech column, the pillars, the light posts, the torches, the trees, stuff like that.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Dynamo wrote:Will you consider also doing sprites? And by sprites I don't mean monsters or player sprites, but stuff like item pickups and decorations, like the candelabra, the tech column, the pillars, the light posts, the torches, the trees, stuff like that.
That's a good Idea and I may very well look into that in the future.

As far as monster sprites go I would have to get a good 3D modelling program, learn to use it over several years to become good and make models of the monsters, then render them to all the positions and angles as sprites, which would be a nightmare. But the other sprites... Why not? :mrgreen:
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I finally finished the latest tech wall. Many, many hours of work went into this one.

http://orig02.deviantart.net/ab18/f/201 ... b06617.png

After opening, click on the image to view at full size.
Blox

Post by Blox »

rather than leaning forward from a couch over a keyboard+mouse on a coffee table.
You do know that something like a small Wacom Intuos Pro works very well for wirelessly operating a screen, right?

Since you seem to be blowing a ton of money on other things that don't really relate to solving this problem of yours.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Blox wrote:
rather than leaning forward from a couch over a keyboard+mouse on a coffee table.
You do know that something like a small Wacom Intuos Pro works very well for wirelessly operating a screen, right?

Since you seem to be blowing a ton of money on other things that don't really relate to solving this problem of yours.
Thanks for the information. :mrgreen:

I tried remotely using my system before, on my Nvidia SHIELD Tablet. In Australia My connection is not good enough to do this without horrendous input lag. I am already on the fastest NBN plan. There is no faster connection in Australia than the 100mbps DL +40Mbps UL I have.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”