[WIP] 2K UltraHD Texture Pack for Doom in the works.

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP] 2K UltraHD Texture Pack for Doom in the works.

Post by hoover1979 »

I have added the pack again as split rar files for those with lesser connections. Just download all 3 rar files to the same location and extract part 1, and the other 2 parts will extract automatically. I plan on releasing a 1k pack once I complete the textures, and then I will get to work on a 2k brightmap pack and make a 1k brightmap pack for the lite version.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

enderandrew wrote:I took the file uploaded and extracted the various PK3 files. I tried running them through a PNG optimizer to see if it would save space. Not much. It went from 1.91 GB to 1.87 GB.

Batch resizing images is simple enough. Here is a 1k version. This is 498 GB.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FeQ8o ... v6V3Ci4oV5
498Gb! :shock:

Nah, just joking. I plan on releasing a 1k pack at the end with a batch resize from XNView. I will do the same after I make the brightmap pack so the 1k version gets brightmaps too.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

enderandrew wrote:This is 498 GB.
Uh, what?
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Nevander wrote:
enderandrew wrote:This is 498 GB.
Uh, what?
It's a typo. He means 498Mb
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

498MB is fine for most users with a mid to high end GPU.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Glaice wrote:498MB is fine for most users with a mid to high-end GPU.
at the end I plan on 3 versions so low, mid and high-end rigs can use my pack. I plan on having a 1k and a 512px pack. I also plan on doing the same with bright maps. I don't want to leave those that don't have a GTX1080 in the cold. I will make batch resizes of the tech demo in the upcoming days, as alternates. I have a lot on my plate at the moment and am under a lot of stress not only with my health but some personal issues. I will get these alternate versions out soon though as I have a commitment to my followers that I refuse to break.

EDIT: 1k and 512p versions are live on my ModDB page. I hope you enjoy it, but there is one issue. the grass textures look very rough on the 512p version. I may have to remake these from scratch to 512p, to get them acceptable in the final build, or tile them as 3x3 and resize with a bicubic filter and crop to the center texture to prevent tiling seams.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I decided to have another crack at wood textures. I was never happy with my previous attempts at the wood textures and thought them to look like plastic wood veneer. I am happier with these new textures as they look less glossy and plastic.

https://orig00.deviantart.net/b125/f/20 ... buo1qv.png
https://orig00.deviantart.net/cb43/f/20 ... buopgc.png
https://orig00.deviantart.net/d079/f/20 ... buoa2y.png
https://orig00.deviantart.net/623c/f/20 ... buq39y.png
(CTRL + Click to view in new tab, then click on the image to view full size if your monitor is less than 4K)
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

Those are a nice improvement!
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

I just think brightening up the wood a tinge would do well.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Glaice wrote:I just think brightening up the wood a tinge would do well.
that's what I have planned but I need to get all the wood textures done first, so I can apply the exact same brightness/contrast settings so they still seamlessly tile.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I took the plunge after months of hesitation and subscribed to Photoshop Creative Cloud. Hopefully, there are new features I can discover, and I hope that it can use GPU acceleration so my GTX1080 can help out, so I can spend less time waiting for something to render and more time doing my work.

Hopefully, this can mean great things for my Texture Pack.
DoomN00b

Post by DoomN00b »

Hey there! = ) Awesome project. I was just about to start doing some high-rez textures myself, specifically, a SKYbox! My textures will be smaller than yours though, since my rig is much less powerful. (they'll be 1080p, 1k-textures)

I am remaking the skyboxes from Rise of the Triad at the moment - and just realized something... they are 256 x 200 pixels large, but the base-pixels you're making are 512 x 512 - is it important to make skyboxes for Doom to actually be SQUARE? Are vanilla Doom's skyboxes 256 x 256 pixels, for instance? Or can I just up-rez these and start remaking the RoTT-boxes into asymmetrically shaped rectangles?
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

DoomN00b wrote:Hey there! = ) Awesome project. I was just about to start doing some high-rez textures myself, specifically, a SKYbox! My textures will be smaller than yours though, since my rig is much less powerful. (they'll be 1080p, 1k-textures)

I am remaking the skyboxes from Rise of the Triad at the moment - and just realized something... they are 256 x 200 pixels large, but the base-pixels you're making are 512 x 512 - is it important to make skyboxes for Doom to actually be SQUARE? Are vanilla Doom's skyboxes 256 x 256 pixels, for instance? Or can I just up-rez these and start remaking the RoTT-boxes into asymmetrically shaped rectangles?
Hi. Thanks for your praise. :D

To answer some questions, Vanilla Doom doesn't use Skyboxes, it uses rectangular textures that tile left-to-right. The originals in Vanilla doom are 256x128, and my UltraHD ones are 4096x2048, I think the DHTP uses either 1024x512 or updated them to 2048x1024. Skyboxes are something I would love to do but don't know how to do them. Skyboxes encompass all directions including above and below the player and look much more realistic, however, they need to tile in so many directions and a .def file usually has to be written to get them the supporting engine to arrange the sections of the skybox in the right areas. Just thinking about that makes my brain hurt. Risen3D has skybox support and I think GZDoom does too, but I have no idea on how to make them, so I am just making sky textures like the original game has. ROTT I think uses Skyboxes, and I guess you are making a texture pack for WinROTTGL, is that correct? WinROTTGL isn't very well optimized, so large and uncompressed textures may tank your FPS. It's probably best to make a secondary pack after making your uncompressed textures as a JPEG pack and compare them to see if both or only one are playable.

I wish I could make animated Skyboxes of Doom, but that is aiming to fart for the stars to be a realistic expectation. I also wish I could animate the textures that have lights, but they only have one frame so the engine would need to be recorded, so that's sadly not going to be a part of my pack either. :cry:

I am only new to texture making myself and have been self-teaching since I started nearly 2 years ago. However, I would be happy to answer any other questions you encounter along the way to the best of my ability.

Best of luck with your project.

Nick "Hoover1979" Wride.
DoomN00b

Post by DoomN00b »

hoover1979 wrote:
DoomN00b wrote:Hey there! = ) Awesome project. I was just about to start doing some high-rez textures myself, specifically, a SKYbox! My textures will be smaller than yours though, since my rig is much less powerful. (they'll be 1080p, 1k-textures)

Hi. Thanks for your praise. :D

To answer some questions, Vanilla Doom doesn't use Skyboxes, it uses rectangular textures that tile left-to-right. The originals in Vanilla doom are 256x128, and my UltraHD ones are 4096x2048, I think the DHTP uses either 1024x512 or updated them to 2048x1024. Skyboxes are something I would love to do but don't know how to do them. Skyboxes encompass all directions including above and below the player and look much more realistic, however, they need to tile in so many directions and a .def file usually has to be written to get them the supporting engine to arrange the sections of the skybox in the right areas. Just thinking about that makes my brain hurt. Risen3D has skybox support and I think GZDoom does too, but I have no idea on how to make them, so I am just making sky textures like the original game has. ROTT I think uses Skyboxes, and I guess you are making a texture pack for WinROTTGL, is that correct? WinROTTGL isn't very well optimized, so large and uncompressed textures may tank your FPS. It's probably best to make a secondary pack after making your uncompressed textures as a JPEG pack and compare them to see if both or only one are playable.

I wish I could make animated Skyboxes of Doom, but that is aiming to fart for the stars to be a realistic expectation. I also wish I could animate the textures that have lights, but they only have one frame so the engine would need to be recorded, so that's sadly not going to be a part of my pack either. :cry:

I am only new to texture making myself and have been self-teaching since I started nearly 2 years ago. However, I would be happy to answer any other questions you encounter along the way to the best of my ability.

Best of luck with your project.

Nick "Hoover1979" Wride.
Ey, big cheers for the info! I'd love to pick your brain regarding texture-making for sure! =)

I just double-checked, and it appears as if RoTT also uses a system of rectangular textures that tile left-to-right! It has an engine similar to Wolfenstein, but there's some similarities to Doom as well, sky-textures appear to be one of them. (it's logical that they would invent this, since it's still a HUGE difference from Wolf3D) - I'm remaking the sky-textures for GZDoom though - RoTT's engine has, like you mention, no reliable, well-developed source ports.

Going to use the "Return of the Triad"-TC, and some Quake-3-like assets, as a base, and then remake "Wolfenstein 3D pt.2: Rise of the Triad"! So, I'm remaking the old design-sheet assets for the original Wolf2 in high rez - but one thing that wasn't included was skyboxes, so I'm ripping graphics from the original RoTT as well, and using them to fill out the missing parts. ; )

But ok, so the ultra-HD ones need to be 4096x2048, eh? Well, I'm currently working in 5120x4000 - Hmm... I'm thinking I might rezise it slightly then, at this size, and then down-size it to that format.. It would be cool to know if it really HAS to be those specific formats though, or if the slightly different format RoTT uses, can be used as well.

Do the GZDoom-developers have a Discord one can use? I'd love to pick their brains for stuff like this! = )

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”