[WIP] 2K UltraHD Texture Pack for Doom in the works.

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP] 2K UltraHD Texture Pack for Doom in the works.

Post by hoover1979 »

I have still been hard at it.

I have been working on remaking the sky textures. The latest one took nearly a month to finish. The burning city sky texture for Doom II.
https://orig00.deviantart.net/9cf3/f/20 ... bivros.png (CTRL + Click to open in new tab and click on image to zoom if your monitor is less than 4k)

I also did a night time variant of this sky here:
https://orig14.deviantart.net/5e91/f/20 ... bivrtu.png (CTRL + Click to open in new tab and click on image to zoom if your monitor is less than 4k)
nazakomu
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by nazakomu »

Man I have got to say, this has to be the best high resolution texture pack I have seen for Doom so far. Keep up the amazing work!
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

nazakomu wrote:Man I have got to say, this has to be the best high resolution texture pack I have seen for Doom so far. Keep up the amazing work!
Thanks for the kind words. I plan on slogging through and pushing through my pain to complete this pack and then make the brightmap pack. Comments like this always motivate me to keep going when times are tough. :D
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I got a few more textures completed yesterday. I thought I'd share 3 of them

Brown wall w/Wooden Decor
https://orig02.deviantart.net/77a7/f/20 ... bm00m8.png (CTRL + Click to open in new tab)

Brown Wall w/Books
https://orig15.deviantart.net/615f/f/20 ... bm00p3.png (CTRL + Click to open in new tab)

Brown Wall w/Painting
https://orig00.deviantart.net/4ab4/f/20 ... bm3l11.png (CTRL + Click to open in new tab)

NOTE: as I am still developing my skills these and the other textures are subject to change before the pack's release.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Here is a new video I just uploaded to youtube.

https://youtu.be/VLp-u17U_h4
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Progress has slowed a bit as I am sick at the moment. But rest assured I will be up and running again once I get better.
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

This is really great stuff. Would you be willing to release a .pk3 file of what you have so far?
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

enderandrew wrote:This is really great stuff. Would you be willing to release a .pk3 file of what you have so far?
I haven't really thought of that yet. I am about 20-25% (rough guess) of the way there but my Google Drive is full and I never uploaded to ModDB before even though I do have an account.

I have .pk3's for GZDoom that I keep updating for testing, and to stop mismatching (like the blue/red stone texture flashing in the first room of the second level of Plutonia Experiment) I have 5 pk3 files. one is the main file, and the others are smaller overrides for doom 1, doom 2, Plutonia experiment and Evilution. These override pk3's also mean the 4 games get their own skies, rather than them all sharing the doom 2 skies.

I am unwell at the moment and have been in and out of the hospital, so I have slowed down on texture production, but when I recover and am back working on textures I will look into creating a ModDB page and uploading a tech demo to wet peoples appetites. When I get that done I will update the OP of this thread so people can start downloading the Tech Demo and having fun.

All the best

Hoover1979
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

You've mentioned your health repeatedly in the thread. I don't know the details, but I sincerely wish you well with whatever your dealing with.

However, not to be impolite and all, but that may be all the more reason to release what you have at some point. If your health deteriorates to a point where you wouldn't be able to focus on your work or continue it, it would be better to have released your progress so someone else could continue it.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

enderandrew wrote:You've mentioned your health repeatedly in the thread. I don't know the details, but I sincerely wish you well with whatever your dealing with.

However, not to be impolite and all, but that may be all the more reason to release what you have at some point. If your health deteriorates to a point where you wouldn't be able to focus on your work or continue it, it would be better to have released your progress so someone else could continue it.
It would be great if I could figure out how to upload a mod to ModDB. I have a ModDB account but can't for the life of me figure out how to set up a mod page and upload my current PK3's for download. This is becoming quite frustrating.

My GoogleDrive is full, and a few months ago I closed my DropBox account as I wasn't using it enough for it to be worth the fees.

If anyone has had some experience with creating a ModDB page for their mod and uploading the files, assistance would be appreciated.
reikall

Post by reikall »

Hover over 'mods' at the top, and click 'add mod.'

It's so easy that I couldn't find it, either. :lol:
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

reikall wrote:Hover over 'mods' at the top, and click 'add mod.'

It's so easy that I couldn't find it, either. :lol:
Thanks. I am the first to admit to a major brain fart like that. :D

I am currently uploading the 1.8Gb tech demo to ModDB. Once the uploading is complete (About an hour from typing this post) I will update with the link here, and update the OP with the ModDB link right at the top. Stay Tuned.

I am guessing by the time the pack gets finished it will be as big as 8Gb! :shock:
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I uploaded the mod to ModDb and will provide the link. It will take up to 2 days for the mod to go live as the mod DM team need to check the file to make sure I've not uploaded any trojans and the work is all mine. So in a couple of days, you can download from the link provided below.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/hoover1979-ul ... k/#6744852

in two days after the moderation period has finished I will add the link to the OP so people can start downloading to it straight away.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

hoover1979 wrote:I am currently uploading the 1.8Gb tech demo...

I am guessing by the time the pack gets finished it will be as big as 8Gb! :shock:
What the actual what? That big? Please tell me there will be a lite version with 1k or less for us nobs with slow ass download speed. EDIT: And people like me with 2 GB of VRAM and a shitty GPU.
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

I took the file uploaded and extracted the various PK3 files. I tried running them through a PNG optimizer to see if it would save space. Not much. It went from 1.91 GB to 1.87 GB.

Batch resizing images is simple enough. Here is a 1k version. This is 498 GB.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FeQ8o ... v6V3Ci4oV5

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”