[WIP] 2K UltraHD Texture Pack for Doom in the works.

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Elias79

Re: [WIP] 2K UltraHD Texture Pack for Doom in the works.

Post by Elias79 »

Will this Texture Replacement pack Include Sprite textures for Items, Weapons and Map Decoration?
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by hoover1979 »

Elias79 wrote:Will this Texture Replacement pack Include Sprite textures for Items, Weapons and Map Decoration?
Once the textures and brightmaps/shinemaps are done I will look into UltraHD sprites and brightmaps/shinemaps for them.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I have been working on the Elevator Platform Texture.

http://orig09.deviantart.net/4885/f/201 ... b445zt.png

I am holding off of the textures with wood, until I find and buy a plugin that helps me create a more realistic wood effect. Filter Forge 6 is a great asset, but I can't create Realistic Wood as it looks plastic. I get good metal and Stone from Filter Forge. (especially after the manual work is done).

If any other texture authors know of another plugin compatible with Photoshop CS5.5 (x64) Please inform me so I can get it. :)
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Although my progress has slowed down due to illness, this project is not dead. I am half-way through a door texture and hope to have it finished and up on my Deviantart repository within the next 7-14 days (or sooner, if I recover from illness faster).

I can't believe I am getting close to 1 year from when I first started. I still don't know how long it will take to complete this pack so I can't give an ETA yet, but I will keep plodding along. When I get closer to the end goal I will post an ETA here, on Steam and on my Deviantart page.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I have added a couple of new textures and remade a few of my older textures and added them to my deviantart repository.

http://hoover1979.deviantart.com/galler ... xture-work
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

I would not add any sort of "Bloom" effects to the texture since the recent GZDoom releases adds in that effect, perhaps by a custom lump?
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I can release a version without that bloom for GzDoom and use the post-processed version with it for Doomsday/Risen3D. My original .PSD files have that bloom as a seperate layer, to accomadate multiple versions.

I am still learning, so the feedback here is greatly appreciated.
I want this to be the best I can make it, but because I am self-teaching the pack will take quite a while to finish, as I keep remaking older textures as I develop more skills and techniques. I'll also use the feedback I receive here to assist in the development of more techniques, and to tailor any remakes of older textures and use in the creation of newer textures.

I have also found that with some textures, they will be larger on the GZDoom version than the Risen3D version. Risen3D has tighter texture/sprite size restrictions, meaning some textures were crashing the levels with memory issues, and had to be slightly downsized for the Risen3D versions to work. so there will be seperate packs for the two engines. Doomsday would most likely have the same size restrictions as Risen3D, as both are forks of jDoom.

After the main textures are completed I plan on making shinemaps for the Doomsday/Risen3D versions and brightmaps for the GZDoom Version. (Brightmaps don't work with Risen3D, I hope at least shinemaps will)
everennui

Post by everennui »

These look great! Holy smokes! Excellent work.

What ~percent are you done with?

There was only one in-game screenshot on your deviant art. Do you have a video or...?
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Thanks for the kind words. :D

I am not sure what percentage I am at but this mod is going to take a long time. I am teaching myself so as my skills improve, I keep remaking older textures to improve them. I won't let this project die though. It slows down from time to time, as I am also pushing through chronic back and nerve pain, but I am determined to stick this out for the long haul, the project will only die if I die.

There is a YouTube video link in the OP of this thread, but it's so out of date that a lot of the UltraHD textures have been vastly improved, particularly the nukage and the green stone textures.

I must get to more ingame screenshots and record another video.

EDIT: Here are direct links to 3 ingame shots, from my DeviantArt page. not every texture is mine, those textures I haven't yet created have the original DHTP as placeholders.

http://orig04.deviantart.net/c4d5/f/201 ... b94gw1.png (Green Techwall test from Doom 2 Map 01)
http://orig07.deviantart.net/da41/f/201 ... b98xv8.png (Techwall test from Doom 1 E1M2)
http://orig09.deviantart.net/2f13/f/201 ... b98tzk.png (Grass and Water test from Doom 2 Map 01)
http://orig13.deviantart.net/e47d/f/201 ... b9tftu.png (temporary pipe texture in Doom II Map 01)
http://orig00.deviantart.net/d20e/f/201 ... b9tgok.png (the Human BBQ in TNT-Evilution)

(CTRL + Click to open in new tab, and Click again on the images to view as full screen (1920x1080 images)

NOTE: The skies in TNT-Evilution will be lower resolution in the Risen3D/Doomsday pack than in the GZDoom pack. A trick I had to use to stop the skies being a quarter of the sky stretched around, as to tile 4 sky textures together into a super long sky texture. WHile this works flawlessly in GZDoom, it triggers a memory allocation crash in Risen3D/GZdoom as the textures can't exceed 8192 on either X or Y axis in these jDoom forks. The skies in Doom, Doom Ii and Plutonia will be of full size in the risen3D pack as it is 4096x2048, the tnt skies are 8192x1024 (risen3d/Doomsday) and 16384/2048 (GZdoom). Risen3D hasn't seen an update in Eons, and I fear it has been abandoned. I wish the DRD team could update Risen3d for a 64bit version with limitless texture sizes, and the addition of brightmap compatibility, and ditch the OpenGL1.2 to Opengl 2.0+, for the uninhibited use of Reshade. It would make my job so much easier, and deliver a better experience for doomers.

EDIT 2: I have knocked up two Grass floor textures, for use in the outdoor environments. They have already been added to my Deviantart repository.
Last edited by hoover1979 on Sat May 20, 2017 7:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I have been working on the industraial wall with pipes ahd it's ofshoots (pipes with damage, pipes with bursts and blood and nukage flowing, and the pipe walls with blood and nukage residue on the bottoms. I have also tweaked the colors of the nukage to give a more radioactive look, and when I get to the brightmaps pack I will make the nukage on all walls and floors glow in the darkes of rooms.

Here is a test shot with the risen3D port from E2M3

http://orig00.deviantart.net/ee1d/f/201 ... bas2zu.png (cTRL = Click to open in new tab. 1920x1080 image)
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I need to take a short break from the pack, to rest up as my chronic back pain has ramped up, and I'm in bad shape. :cry:

I had a productive week though with over 30 textures done (1 texture being an animated one) :)

As soon as my back improves I will be straight onto it though. I am keeping at this mod until it's finished.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

After resting for nearly a week I have been slowly easing myself back into retexturing. Creating the door liners that indicate what color KeyCard or Skull Key is required to open it, and a lights texture. I will start slow to avoid putting my back out again, as it doesn't like me sutting upright for extended hours, or leaning over my keyboard on a coffee table from my sofa.

I need to work smarter to avoid this forced downtime my bad back is imposing upon me.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I just uploaded another ingame test video. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37z_CC1Jwr0

Video is 1920x1080x60FPS

The video is of E2M2 again, but with new, and updated textures added, using the latest 64bit build of GZDoom 3.0, the Doom Metal music WAD, and the Ketchup blood mod.

The colors are a little off, but that's due to Youtube's compression method. :roll:

I hope you enjoy the video. :mrgreen:
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Here is a new Video. This time it's E2M1.

Most of the textures have been replaced with my WIP UltraHD ones.

I hope you enjoy the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PKcKMgIWNQ

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”