[WIP] 2K UltraHD Texture Pack for Doom in the works.

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
jdredalert

Re: [WIP] 2K UltraHD Texture Pack for Doom in the works.

Post by jdredalert »

Okay, i'm not joking here: have you tried to do something like this? I know, it looks bad, makes things dirty, yadda yadda yadda, but you'll also have a massive temperature drop doing something like that. It could be a way to hold your old rig together until you can upgrade. I know because i had to do that.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

hoover1979 wrote:I have a Corsair H115i 280mm dual-fan AIO cooler that should be more than enough to keep an i7-4790k cool
I barely know anything about liquid cooling and I can't say if the TDP (88 W) on a 4790K is accurate or not but it sounds like you should be covered, yeah. (A traditional cooler would probably give you quicker temp drops though and I think that's a good thing.) Did you mess up the installation or something like that? Loose screws? Too tight? What about the cooling paste? Could be lots of things. Check the CPU for bumps or warping. Obvious heat damage but somewhat uncommon. Try another cooler with plenty of fresh paste if you have one. See if there's any difference at all.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by hoover1979 »

The CPU is faulty and needs to be replaced. Core #0 is where the fault is and the CPU will need to be replaced (along with a new MoBo, RAM and AIO Cooler). :cry:

I will be getting a Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core (24 Thread) CPU, a Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi X570 AM4 MoBo, 32Gb (2x 16Gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3200 DDR4 RAM (set as Dual-Channel), Deepcool Castle 280RGB AIO Cooler (the Corsair H115i won't fit to the Ryzen 9, without a special bracket that is rare to find), and a 500Gb Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 SSD (for my new boot drive). I hope to have the upgrade done and have my rig back within the week, then I will be in the poor house as this upgrade will set me back around $2,000.00AUD. :shock:

At the moment I am using the Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop, but as it's CPU overheats I can't use taxing games or render artwork for my texture pack, although I can use Handbrake and Format Factory on the laptop.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I now added a Ryzen 9 3900X CPU, a Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro Wifi MoBo, 32Gb of Crucial Ballistix 3200 DDR4 Ram (dual-channel) and I a Deepcool Castle 280RGB AIO Cooler, to my rig. I also got a 500Gb Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 SSD drive and am now running the OS on that. Once I have everything reinstalled, set up, and reactivated I will see how much better performance my 12 core (24 thread) CPU gives when rendering filters for my texture work. For some reason Filter Forge 8 won't add itself to the plugins for Photoshop CC2020 so I have to use Photoshop CC2019 until Adobe fixes this.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I did a few new textures but now have to rest. My country is in lockdown due to COVID-19, and my doctor's surgery was compromised by a patient that lied about their time overseas, so I and the other patients are in isolation. On top of that, I almost died a few weeks ago as my kidney infection went to the extreme leading to septic kidneys and blood poisoning so I was in critical condition in the ICU (First 2 days I was in a resuscitation room), so I am fatigued and on a cocktail of antibiotics, painkillers and muscle relaxants so I am not coping well, and not sleeping or eating properly. Hopefully, all this BS can end and I can get back to work.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

This is a shot of Final Doom with some new textures I made the other day.
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88777 ... v0H_gqOFSE
Marcelus

Post by Marcelus »

Nice work... but light on skull switch is on original sprite in 90°angle. You have 120°
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Marcelus wrote:Nice work... but light on skull switch is on original sprite in 90°angle. You have 120°
I used an actual skull photo, that I modified, and had to choose one that was public domain to avoid legal issues, that's why the lighting is different.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Marcelus

Post by Marcelus »

hoover1979 wrote:
Marcelus wrote:Nice work... but light on skull switch is on original sprite in 90°angle. You have 120°
I used an actual skull photo, that I modified, and had to choose one that was public domain to avoid legal issues, that's why the lighting is different.
Skull is good and nice but frame has different light. Looks very nice but overall angle is distort if you have more than one light on one texture... Peace ... I don't mean it wrong. :)
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

The GZDoom devs must have changed how textures get loaded in 4.3.4 and up. To use the 3rd demo you will need to use GZDoom 4.3.3 until I am able to find out what to do and repackage it. I can't do that now as my Fibromyalgia is at it's worst and I can't focus through all the debilitating pain. :cry:
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

hoover1979 wrote:The GZDoom devs must have changed how textures get loaded in 4.3.4 and up. To use the 3rd demo you will need to use GZDoom 4.3.3 until I am able to find out what to do and repackage it. I can't do that now as my Fibromyalgia is at it's worst and I can't focus through all the debilitating pain. :cry:
Does anyone know off hand what the new folder structure is supposed to look like to get these working again?
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

This year I started working on the first-ever texture pack for Blake Stone (AOG and PS) but now have to take a break from texturing altogether, as I have a fractured T7 vertebra. The pain is distracting and the medication I take for it kills me creatively.

Here is a screenshot of what I've made for Blake Stone before I got my vertebral fracture.
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88777 ... -deR_D2LF8

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”