Peter's Sexy HUD

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 2.6/2.61 released

Post by NightFright »

And another update. This one was just done for "perfectionism" purposes since I wanted to avoid as many deviations from the original statusbars as possible. Hopefully this time I found everything I wanted to fix FOR REAL.

CHANGELOG v2.6/2.61 (SEP 10/11, 2018)
[GENERAL] Applied PNG compression to all graphics, reducing file size by over 40%
[Hexen] Standard statusbar now properly aligned (even though it should not matter since this is meant for fullscreen usage)
[Hexen] Mana counters moved 1px to the left to match standard statusbar
[Doom/Chex/HacX/Harmony] Moved BACKGRND to game-doomchex filter folder to avoid loading it with Heretic and Hexen (will still work in any Doom-based game)
[Doom/Chex/HacX/Harmony] Different drawing method of automap statusbar background (BACKGRND is now 640x32 instead of 1920x32 and "assembled" in TEXTURES.DOOM lump)

DOWNLOAD DEPRECATED, SEE NEW VERSION BELOW
Last edited by NightFright on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Peter's Sexy HUD

Post by NightFright »

And one more thing: Ran all images through PNG optimizer which cut file size almost in half. Not that it really matters with a mod that is merely 100 kb, but it's all about efficiency. Feel free to (re)download from the last post above this one.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 2.7 released

Post by NightFright »

And another update. This time it's a bit more useful! The big change is the level stats display which is now working with percentages, saving a bit of screen space while also not giving away too much info at the same time. Thanks to m8f for his assistance with getting the ACS script working!

CHANGELOG v2.7 (Sep 18, 2018)
[GENERAL] Level stats now with percentages instead of counters (ACS)
[ALL OPAQUE] Optimized contents for opacity (needless graphics and code removed which reduced filesize further)
[Hexen OPAQUE] Fix for life chain shining through statusbar on the lower right side (custom LFEDGE1/RFEDGE1 removed)
[Doom/Chex/HacX/Harmony] Fixed potential problem with wrong fullscreenoffsets for mugshot
[Doom/Chex/HacX/Harmony TRANSPARENT] Transparency for ammo/health/armor counters slightly increased (from alpha 0.8 to 0.7)

Previews for the transparent Doom and Heretic statusbars:

Last edited by NightFright on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 3.0 released

Post by NightFright »

With this update, I used some more advanced SBARINFO features which allowed me to put both the transparent and opaque statusbars into one release. You can now choose whether you want to see the transparent or opaque version plus you can hide the level stats if you want. This is done through a new ingame menu for which I had to introduce two new console variables (fullhud_stats and fullhud_trans). Go into "HUD Options" and you will find the new menu entry at the bottom.

CHANGELOG v3.0 (Sep 19, 2018)
[GENERAL] Transparent and opaque versions have been merged and can now be selected through a new ingame menu entry ("HUD Options" --> "Fullscreen Status Bar")
[GENERAL] Toggle added for level stats (can be turned on and off)

[Note that the scaling adjustments are applied directly, while switching status bar style or toggling level stats will only take effect after leaving the menu and returning to the game.]

Last edited by NightFright on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 3.1 released

Post by NightFright »

My apologies for the rapid succession of updates lately. Hopefully I really implemented everything I ever wanted to have in this mod by now...

Most notable changes:
1) Fans of the Boom status bar might appreciate a new option to use ammo/health/armor counter colors they know from that port. I had to introduce a third custom cvar for this (fullhud_boom). Note that it will only work in Doom-based games (Doom, Freedoom, Chex). Better keep the default setting in HacX or Harmony. In Heretic and Hexen, the new menu option for this won't even be visible (since it doesn't make any sense there).
2) For transparent rendering I went back to non-transparent ammo/health/armor numbers which is also what DTDsphere did in his very first version. These numbers are important and should stick out more in the transparent version, plus the armor counter won't work properly with Boom colors otherwise. In Hexen, this leads to a quite nice "glowing" effect of the numbers when using the transparent status bar.
3) The glowing gargoyle eyes (in God Mode aka "QUICKEN") of the Heretic status bar did not look nice in transparent mode so far. This should be solved now.

Oh, and there is now also a readme file included with the mod, finally. This should help with knowing who was involved with this project and which version you actually have.

CHANGELOG v3.1 (Sep 21, 2018)
[ALL] Added option to use Boom colors for Doom status bar numbers (not available in Heretic or Hexen)
[ALL: TRANSPARENT] Ammo, health and armor counters are now always opaque (also solves problem with Boom armor counter)
[ALL] Level stats transparency slightly reduced (from alpha 0.6 to 0.7)
[ALL] "Show Level Stats" options renamed (from "Off"/"On" to "No"/"Yes")
[ALL] "Status Bar Style" renamed to "Status Bar Rendering"
[CHEX/HERETIC/HEXEN] Changed lump filtering to fix unsupported games (e.g. Blasphemer)
[HERETIC: TRANSPARENT] Fix/improvement for glowing gargoyle eyes (god mode)

New (and hopefully final) menu:

Available settings:
- Status Bar Scale: Basically identical to "Fullscreen HUD" slider in "HUD Options"/"Scaling Options". I simply put it here as well since I wanted to have all fullscreen-related settings in one place.
- Status Bar Rendering: "Opaque" (default) or "Transparent"
- Doom Status Bar Colors [NEW]: "Default" (default) or "Boom Style". Will NOT be shown in Heretic or Hexen. I also wouldn't recommend activating this in Harmony or HacX.
- Show Level Stats: "No" (default) or "Yes"

Boom status bar in Doom and Freedoom:

Boom status bar in Chex and new "glowing" numbers in transparent status bars, example Hexen:

Last edited by NightFright on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 3.11 released

Post by NightFright »

And just when I thought I had covered everything, I realized I could make "Boom Style" color mode work with pretty much ANY custom status bar after all - by just replacing the "untranslated" parts in the ammo/health/armor counters with "red". This way it should also work properly when the status bar numbers are NOT red, e.g. in "Speed of Doom" where they are green.

CHANGELOG v3.11 (Sep 22, 2018)
[DOOM] Boom status bar colors should now work with most customized PWAD status bars

Speed of Doom status bar in "Boom Style" mode, using v3.10 (left) and v3.11 (right) of the mod:

Hope you enjoy this release in general!

Last edited by NightFright on Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

I don't know if this would be out of the scope of the project, but may I suggest a version of this HUD that is divided into two parts, like this:

?

I have a locally modified version of Peters_Sexy_HUD.pk3, so the needed offsets are already calculated.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Well, the idea is to have a fullscreen status bar without the borders on each side while staying compatible to custom PWAD graphics. As soon as predefined bars are introduced, the advantage of the mod would be lost since you have to use the same version everywhere.

Your version looks nice and allows a better view of the player weapon, but I guess it would be better for a different kind of release. Unless you manage to do this without the need for modified STBAR graphics. If I see correctly, you are basically cutting the status bar in half and align both parts to each side of the screen, omitting the mugshot.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

That's right, this version uses no new graphics, just butchers STBAR in TEXTURES lump:
Spoiler:
Spoiler: Example: REKKR
About the mugshot, I just don't know where to put it in this HUD layout.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Well honestly, you could put it instead of the weapon numbers and just omit those. However, I guess you can't solve this only with a textures lump, then. One way or the other, you will also need to realign the counters and keys in sbarinfo. Do you happen to have all the necessary fullscreenoffset values for sbarinfo?

It's a neat solution otherwise and may be possible to add as another menu option, with a bit of effort to make it available as opaque and transparent version like the "intact" stbar.
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Wow thanks for adding to it. This HUD is absolutely amazing now. Definitely gunna run this HUD permanently. The split HUD idea being an option in the same mod would be a cool addition too. Not sure how much work it would be to implement for other Doom engine games. I also really wouldn't omit one of the best things about the default HUD, the all ammo counter.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Development update:

Implementation of the new split versions is complete for all supported games. Now I need to test everything very thoroughly to make sure I did not miss anything.

For a preview check out this gallery.

You can see there:
- Split status bar view for various games (Doom, Chex, Heretic, Hexen, HacX, Harmony), plus two proof-of-concept shots of REKKR and Speed of Doom to show that it also works with various Doom PWADs with custom status bar
- New fullscreen automap view for all games (note that you will not be able to change this back to normal/full status bar view - otherwise this wouldn't have worked the way I wanted it)
- Revamped options menu (now with categories and easier On/Off toggles)

Note:
- Doom split bars have the mugshot instead of the "arms" patch - looks really good and also preserves custom mugshots (e.g. from "Pirates!" mod)
- Note that the split bar for Chex features a restored ammo counter - this will be a special feature only for this display mode
- Split status bars for Heretic and Hexen were made by MaxED, not me

If everything goes as planned, I hope to release the final version next week.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 4.0 released

Post by NightFright »

And here it is, ladies and gentlemen. I really hope I nailed it this time. Split status bars have been added and some fine tuning happened "under the hood". The automap status bar will now always be using the "minimized" version, but in return it scales along with the fullscreen status bar slider nicely so you don't have to go to "HUD Options" any more for that.

Notes:
- When you start a game for the first time and use this mod, set your screen size to fullscreen (screenblocks=11) or none of the settings will work. I mention this because the normal status bar now looks like the fullscreen version in its default setting.
- For Doom PWADs providing custom status bars, splitting SHOULD work 100% correctly as long as the new bars stick exactly to the section measures of the original graphics. I know that Freedoom, Chex and HacX deviate a bit, but fixes for those are covered in this mod.

CHANGELOG v4.0 (Sep 28, 2018)
[INFO] Now uses "height 0" to redraw the original (non-fullscreen) status bars. Normal status bars can still be used with some limitations (but still NOT recommended).
[ALL] Option added to choose between normal and split status bars
[ALL] Automap always uses split versions (to increase viewing area)
[ALL] Fullscreen status bar scaling now also affects automap
[ALL] Option menu changes:
- Now divided into two groups: "Status Bar Appearance", "Optional Settings"
- All toggles changed to simple "On"/"Off" choices
- "Optional Settings": Automap background can now be deactivated (Heretic/Hexen only)
[CHEX] Realignment of ammo, health and armor counters

The final options menu now looks like this (in Heretic/Hexen, you will have "Automap Background" instead of "Boom HUD Colors" as optional setting):

Another Chex shot showcasing the finalized split version plus minor alignment adjustments to ammo, health and armor counters:

For more screenshots please check the post above. Enjoy!

Last edited by NightFright on Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Small code efficiency update for Doom/Chex regarding Boom colors. By using the "||" operator for weaponammo, I was able to save a couple of code lines. Has no noticable impact ingame, just makes the sbarinfo files a bit shorter. Redownload if you already did, but it's not a must.

There still seems to be a problem with clip ammo color coding, need to figure out what's wrong here.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Argh, a classic case of "never touch a running system". Looks like that code update I made was borked. I reverted to the old version and it works just fine now. Please redownload - one last time. Sorry, folks!

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”