Peter's Sexy HUD

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SiFi270

Re: Peter's Sexy HUD

Post by SiFi270 »

The fact that status bars are still isolated with screen size 10 causes some problems in Hexen.The first screenshot is at screen size 10, and the second at 11.

The size 11 thing has been an issue for a while now, but I think it can only be solved if the sprites are manually extended. It always looked fine for me when I played at size 10 for the fighter and cleric and size 11 for the mage.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Good point. Guess I didn't notice this since I am using widescreen sprites by default. Hexen is a special case since it uses some weapons that actually touch the side of the screen. In Doom and Heretic they stay centered.

In general I think that's something that may be solved from renderer side. It doesn't restrict functionality of the status bar itself, though.

In the worst case I could include the problematic weapon frames from the widescreen mod (with proper credit), but as soon as a mod replaces the weapons, it'd break again. Hexen isn't that popular for modders, though, so it may not be an issue. Since this is supposed to be a status bar mod however, I'd prefer to keep other kinds of graphics out of it. Most people out there will use it for Doom, anyway.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

No, it's not the width of the screen that's the problem, it's the height. I'm using the same widescreen sprites you are, and without the usual border to the left and right of the status bar at size 10, weapons such as the mace and axe don't actually reach from the top of the screen to the bottom, or vice versa.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I see. Then it either needs to be fixed within GZDoom or the problematic sprites are realigned with hacks. Or I add the normal status bar with fullscreen code so you have the mod options available in screenblock 10 mode...
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 4.1 released

Post by NightFright »

I found a way to integrate the inventory bar into the transparent (full) status bar after all. This means there is finally no visual difference any more between transparent and opaque status bars expect for the transparency itself. It's worth another release, I'd say, so here we go!

CHANGELOG v4.1 (OCT 1, 2018)
[HERETIC/HEXEN] Inventory bar now also integrated into transparent (centered) status bar

Transparent Heretic status bar in v4.0 and v4.1:

Transparent Hexen status bar in v4.0 and v4.1:

Regarding the issue with screenblocks=11 and cut Hexen weapons:
Actually I could not reproduce this issue with my version. Maybe it depends on the widescreen weapons you are using. Since I have an older release of the Hexen widescreen graphics (from 2013 or something, no idea who did those), maybe it's not exactly the same one you guys know. Mine seems to have the missing parts on the bottom which are needed for a seemless display.

DOWNLOAD DEPRECATED, SEE NEW VERSION BELOW
Last edited by NightFright on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I think what happened is Neoworm wasn't satisfied with how the tops of the mace and axe looked in that addon, and that's why they're cut off again in the more recent version I use. I'd still prefer to stick to that version, so I guess the simplest solution to my problem would be to only use the fullscreen hud when playing as the mage.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I have made a new widescreen version of the Hexen weapons based on neoworm's graphics, but with extensions for the Cleric/Fighter melee weapons to fix the fullscreen status bars. This way you can keep neoworm's changes while still not having to worry about gaps at the bottom of the screen. The extensions are not spot-on since I am not really a graphics artist, but the weapon swings are so fast that you don't notice the imperfections at all imho. Hope you can enjoy this.

Changes compared to neoworm's version:
- HUD graphics removed (to avoid conflicts with this fullscreen status bar mod)
- Bottom gaps closed for Cleric/Fighter weapons (now widescreen AND fullscreen compatible)
Attachments
hxwide11.zip
Hexen weapons (fullscreen & widescreen compatible)
(160.57 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 4.2 released

Post by NightFright »

And one more fine-tuning release including a (small) new feature. You can now choose between the previous level stats (with percentages) or one that counts down missing kills/items/secrets. I also turned level stats counter numbers white for consistent display. Since this wouldn't work in Harmony or HacX, the numbers will still have their default colors there.
I also took one more look at all SBARINFO files and optimized them by avoiding unnecessary multiple definitions of the same contents. This saved a couple of kilobytes in file size.

CHANGELOG v4.2 (Oct 8, 2018)
[ALL] New level stats counter type: "Countdowns"
[ALL] SBARINFO code efficiency update (size reduced)
[ALL] Level stats scripts now only run if level stats are activated via menu
[DOOM/CHEX/HERETIC/HEXEN] Level stats counter numbers are now white (not in Harmony or HacX)
[CHEX] FONTDEFS removed (no longer needed)

Preview for white percentage numbers and new countdowns for level stats:

NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 4.21 released

Post by NightFright »

Small service release to fix the level stats counters, hopefully for good this time. By adding a custom font for Doom stats I bypassed the problem of barely legible numbers in Harmony and HacX (the STYSNUM replacements used there are really not great for this purpose). Stats numbers should now look the same in all Doom-based games.

CHANGELOG v4.21 (OCT 9, 2018)
[ALL] Minor realignments of level stats graphics
[ALL] Unified/global font for level stats counter

*UPDATE*
Changed again with modified stats font (looks more "digital") which is now also used in Heretic and Hexen (i.e. globally).

NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 4.22 released

Post by NightFright »

Very minor, but visually appealing adjustment of the level stats percentage signs. Shadow alignments are corrected and the signs are white now to match the numbers. It just looks better like that, but see for yourself. (I also experimented with adding time stamp again with the same font and basically it looks nice, but in the end I found it takes away too much screen space and at least for me, this is not such an important stat to have it displayed on the screen at all times.)

CHANGELOG v4.22 (OCT 10, 2018)
[ALL] Modification of level stats graphics STATS1 (percentage signs are now white)

It looks like this now in the new version:

Last edited by NightFright on Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 4.3 released

Post by NightFright »

I have decided to add a timer to the level stats display after all - but it remains optional. Stats can now be toggled between "Off", "Percentages", "Percentages + Time", "Countdowns" and "Countdowns + Time" in the menu.
Besides that, it's now possible to switch between level stats modes without having to restart the level - finally it's the way I wanted it to work! The rest is rather cosmetic, just see the changelog below.

I think it is rather unlikely I will add any additional features to this mod by now. It's pretty complete considering what it's supposed to do, and adding even more would make it bloated. Unless there are any bugs I have missed, this should be the final release.

CHANGELOG v4.3 (OCT 12, 2018)
[ALL] Level stats: Time display added (optional, select it via menu)
[ALL] Level stats: Switching between modes now works without level restart
[ALL] Level stats: "Countdowns" numbers placed before "Kills/Items/Scrts Left" text
[ALL] Level stats: STATS1/STATS2 graphics slightly resized
[HERETIC/HEXEN] Level stats: Aligned to top right corner (again)

New level stats with optional time display:

Last edited by NightFright on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

I noticed that on the transparent version of the HUD, keys are transparent too.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Yeah, that was intentional. Only the ammo/health/armor counters never use transparency. The idea was that only the vital numbers are sticking out. Ofc if you apply transparency to anything that's on top of the status bar, it's gonna blend with the graphics underneath. For the mugshot it's ok since the background is usually black, but the grey color of the bar can make things look ugly.

I could do one last consequent change and basically remove transparency for anything except for the status bar and the mugshot, so that all the numbers and keys are fully opaque at all times, if that's a better solution. However, with some custom bars, it may not look that good.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 4.31 released

Post by NightFright »

I found a way to display the armor counter in "Boom mode" without having to draw it twice on top of each other (just for the red "0"), which had always been something that bothered me. This was also why I had previously decided to draw the ammo/health/armor numbers without transparency since otherwise the Boom armor number colors would get mixed. Now it's fixed, but the numbers will remain opaque, anyway.

PS: "IfArmor" command for SBARINFO would be a really nice thing to have...

CHANGELOG v4.31 (Oct 15, 2018)
[DOOM/CHEX] Armor counter numbers not drawn twice any more in Boom mode
Attachments
fullscrn_huds.pk3
Fullscreen Status Bars (v4.31)
(126.94 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Mynameislol

Post by Mynameislol »

Ok, i just had an idea, what if you were to make a transparent version of the doom alpha hud? It'd be very interesting! I made a mockup

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”